Hey guys, Im 13 years old and am really into acoustic guitar. I already have a steel string guitar and would like another. I play a lot of Jack Johnson music and a lot of picking. Out of the Martin DX1AE or the Taylor 114ce which one do you think would suit me best?

Cheers
more importantly, which one do YOU think will suit you best? is there a shop around you where you can try them both out? we cant tell you what will be comfortable to you or how you will prefer the sound characteristics. when in doubt.... knock over a 7 eleven and get them both. . . . just kidding! i meant get 2 taylors!
So far i have only played the Taylor and it was amazing. I have heard the Martin on youtube and it sounds better, but the sound would probably be different in real life. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Martin as It's cheaper.
Play them both and see which one speaks to you. Don't pick based on price, unless the Taylor is out of your budget.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
rule of thumb that most salespeople will tell you is " buy the taylor if your playing for yourself, get the martin if your playing for others" taylors tend to sound very good to the people playing them.. great sound but they dond resonate outward like a martin. i played a ton of martins and taylors. ended up with a taylor K10. i dont care for playing a crowd anymore, it sounded the best and brightest to me. i can play it and my girlfriend can watch tv on the other side of the room. the martin would need another room.
Today I went to a music shop and tried a Martin DX1KAE and it was awesome. I liked it more than the Taylor so that's what I'm saving for now. Also do you think a Roland Cube 40XL amp would work well for an acoustic?
well the cube does have an acoustic setting if im not mistaken, so the model should be okay, but after a while if you are serious you could go get a real amp, but for now it should work fine, havent tried it myself though
Quote by imaginedbufalo
Today I went to a music shop and tried a Martin DX1KAE and it was awesome. I liked it more than the Taylor so that's what I'm saving for now. Also do you think a Roland Cube 40XL amp would work well for an acoustic?

Yeah...I've plugged my classical into my Cube60 a few times - but only because I've really HAD to. And it works. But to me it's not ideal. The Cube is more geared for electric guitars IMO. What about an acoustic amp?
i believe the acoustic setting on the cube is to make your electric sound like an acoustic.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i believe the acoustic setting on the cube is to make your electric sound like an acoustic.

patticake speaks words of wisdom
But to me there's a large difference between the sound of an actual acoustic guitar and the Cube's emulated acoustic guitar - even though I think the Cube's acoustic setting is pretty good.
I rate TS should just stick with the acoustic for now if that's what he really wants and worry about amplification later.
an electric guitar amp isn't going to sound as good for an acoustic electric guitar as an acoustic guitar amp would. will it work? yes. will it work well? probably not, but it will be better than nothing.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!