Poll: Lyrics or Music first?
Poll Options
View poll results: Lyrics or Music first?
Lyrics
8 13%
Music
52 87%
Voters: 60.
EDIT: I'm asking about what you do when writing a song. Go.

I often lean on the music side of things, and I most of the bands I love do it that way and still manage to have great lyrics and melodies and shizz. I'm starting to try to sing and write more lyrics myself though, so I'm trying to find my comfort zone.

What aboot you guyz?
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Oct 24, 2011,
depends, its easier to write lyrics, by FAR. but that might just be shitty improv rap that i come up with for no reason. although i dont listen to rap. music just is really difficult for me to write.
It really depends...music can sound great with some shit ass lyrics and a great lyrical song can sound not too attractive on the ear...it really is a balance
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by blake1221
Search bar, usually.

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
music is always first, music isn't music unless emotion is expressed through sound rather than words

the latter is the definition of poetry
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Oct 24, 2011,

Are you fucking kidding me? Why would anyone like the lyrics more than the music? It's music. If you're looking for good words and not music, don't listen to music, read poems. Not saying that there aren't good lyrics. But really. You'd have to be braindead to listen to music for the lyrics and not the music.

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Oct 24, 2011,
What about rap music? Or music that was built around lyrics that the artist wanted to express with the aid of music.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by SaintsofNowhere

Are you fucking kidding me? Why would anyone like the lyrics more than the music? It's music. If you're looking for good words and not music, don't listen to music, read poems. Not saying that there aren't good lyrics. But really. You'd have to be braindead to listen to music for the lyrics and not the music.

You can't be serious...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by SaintsofNowhere

And yet Bob Dylan has sold millions upon millions of albums.

Music for me, as I never seem to be able to keep my focus on the lyrics unless I read along with them. Unless I'm listening to some Bruno Mars song or whatever with really simplistic lyrics on the radio. Then I just rage how it could've been me in the credits.

Edit: I hope you all realise the reason music scores so highly here is because we're all musicians. I can't even remember how I perceived music before I started playing guitar.
Last edited by frankv at Oct 24, 2011,
Quote by blake1221

Cute. Still, brought up nothing. Checkmate?

Anyways, going to update OP. I'm talking about writing, not listening to. ITT, people who don't read.
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Oct 24, 2011,
Music first. Then lyrics if the album is a concept album or has some sort of meaning behind them.

The music I listen to the most either has no lyrics or isn't focused on them. Or the vocals are just another layer of sound.
I've done both when writing music, but generally I write the music first and the lyrics after.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Oh when I write I have lyrics already written. Some years and years ago. I'll pair it with riffs if I think the syllables go with the music or rhythm.
I go for the music primarily. I'm not a lyricist at all. However I can come up with a melody, chord progression or riff I like pretty easily. I could never think of anything to write about when it comes to lyrics. Even when listening to a song I pay much more attention to the music itself than the lyrics.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I ususally try to do both at the same time. I've always had trouble fitting music to lyrics and I have more trouble fitting music lyrics to music. When I do one consciously first, the one I decide to do second always comes out bad. When I do them both at the same time they fit together a lot better. At least to me.