Greetings UG forum readers and posters!

Two years have passed in my journey of guitar world, I have only been playing Greg Bennett TR1 which is quite nice guitar, but I'm pretty sure that most of you haven't even heard of such a company. It sounds really nice, I can play almost anything on it, but when I tried out my friends Schecter Omen 6 Extreme I realised that the Schecter is so easy to play that I even started to make Steve Vai's orgasmic faces when I was bending and playing legato on it. So, as a present for myself at Christmas I'd like to get a new guitar, I'd like to know your opinion about what guitar should I get for ~500 EUR / 700 USD, here are some things that will help you with giving me an advice:

1) I mostly play hard rock and classic rock with my band (CCR, Smokie, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and so on). But at home I like to go metal a bit (Megadeth, early Metallica, Pantera).

2) I'm pretty damn sure that humbuckers will fit my playing style the most, but I have never tried those combos of humbuckers at bridge, and single coils everywhere else, so I'm not really sure how that works. But since I only have used bridge pickup for everything I have done this far, that could be interesting to try out.

3) About the wood... I haven't tried out that many guitars to understand how wood affects tone, so it's up to you in this one. Altough I think that at this price range plastic and veneer guitars are not very common.

4) The neck. It doesn't really matter to me how much frets does a guitar have, sure 24 frets may be a slight advantage if you cant get any notes from pickup "fret" but with 2 year experiance... I'm just not there yet. I also dont need those "made for shred" necks, of course I like to make a quicker run every now and then, but I think that action affects it way more than the neck shape (my current guitar has a really high action and it's hard to make quick runs down the neck).

5) I don't need tremolo, they cause serious head ache at this price range.

6) I don't want those shiny black or shiny white colored guitars. Also I don't want SG shaped guitar.

7) I don't want that Schecter Omen 6 Extreme my buddy uses.

So far my candidate is ESP LTD EC-256 AVB which looks so cool that I would sleep with it. However, the same pickups are on the cheapest ESP LTD models, so they are not very good.

I will be around here quite often, so feel free to start some sort of discussion if something isn't clear to you. Thanks!
I think you might have answered your own question with your ESP LTD idea.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
If you feel that way about the LTD then you should get it. And since it seems to sit well under your budget you've got plenty of room to buy new pickups if you decide it needs it.

Alternatively, I suppose any number of guitars could be recommended but the point is what you should do is go into a guitar store (or many) and pick up and try out anything that you like the look of. Sooner or later you should pick something up that just feels right when you play it and then you'll have found your second guitar.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
2nd hand LTD EC401 with the burst finish.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by VVolverin3
If you feel that way about the LTD then you should get it. And since it seems to sit well under your budget you've got plenty of room to buy new pickups if you decide it needs it.

Alternatively, I suppose any number of guitars could be recommended but the point is what you should do is go into a guitar store (or many) and pick up and try out anything that you like the look of. Sooner or later you should pick something up that just feels right when you play it and then you'll have found your second guitar.

I really want to try out the ESP LTD EC-256 myself, but the problem is that here, in Latvia, you can't find a music store with ESPs. They are so rare over here. Stores are full of Epiphones, Schecters, Ibanezes... Buying a guitar wihout trying it out is a little risky. And true, I will have some money for good pickups, so I might give that ESP LTD a chance after all.