I've had my huge Digitech GNX3 for several years now, and it's brought me a lot of joy. One of the best features it has is a built in looper that can record at least a minute of sound and a drum machine. Not only that, but the looper will quantize the end point of your loop with the drum pattern, meaning that when you stop your loop, it will try to match the end point with the end of the nearest measure so that your loop stays in time with the drums. Very handy for live performances where myself and a couple other guitarists play songs with a drum machine and guitar loops in the background.

As useful as the GNX3 is, though, it is quite large. It's fine when space isn't a limitation, but say when i go over to my friends' houses, it would be nice to have something smaller. The GNX3 is one of Digitech's largest multi-fx pedals, one of the ones with 5 footswitches and an expression. I'm looking for something that is compact and not too expensive, say less than $300.

While doing some shopping around on various music websites, I've found some smaller pedals that have multi-fx, looper and drum machine built in. The only problem is, all the ones that I've found (just newer Digitech pedals so far as I've seen) disable the drum machine when you use the looper function! The main reason why I want this all in one package is so that the loops, which are usually rhythmic in nature, stay in sync with the drums. Trying to match a non-quantized loop with a drum backing track is difficult, because if you aren't exact, eventually the two will slip apart.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I didn't realize that what I was after was such an uncommon feature. Hopefully there is something out there that is compact and affordable. Thank you in advance.
Actually, I looked at the online manual for the RP355, and that one turns off the drum machine as soon as you start the loop feature. Too bad, because it looks like a nice pedal.

I'll look into the others though, thank you!
There is only one option... the Zoom G3. It's the only multifx that syncs the drums to the looper. You may want to add an expression pedal. The M-Audio EX-P for $30 is the cheapest.

Several songs in my link use the G3 drums and looper. The second link explains which songs use what. Most of the songs in my link use some looper.

Technically speaking you could add the Vox VL1, but I haven't heard anyone say anything about the quality of the FX.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 24, 2011,
Hey, thank you guys. That pedal looks pretty sweet! And thank you for recommending an expression. Some pedals are kind of weird and won't accept any old footswitch or exp, forcing you to buy their own brand. That is really helpful to know!
Quite a few people are gushing over how great the tones are in the G3 and I feel the same way.

Since you are used to using a looper you might like this... The G3 has a visual bar graph indicator that tells you how much of the 40 secs you've used while creating the initial loop. After creating the loop it always indicates your current location.
fly135, those are some cool tunes! Ordered a G3 and an expression, can't wait for them to get here! Thank you again, everyone!
Digitech rp355 or zoom g3

Check out my sig for recordings of the rp355.

Ah man, you already ordered it.

Oh well, the zoom g3 is ok, as long as you don't mind only having three effects at once.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Oct 24, 2011,
Quote by kutless999
Oh well, the zoom g3 is ok, as long as you don't mind only having three effects at once.
Correction, the G3 is awesome as long as you don't mind having only 3 FX at once. Actually there are some combined FX where you can get a 4th in there. Quite frankly having only 3 is not really that much of an issue.

Plus it's small enough that you can add a couple pedals and still have a small pedalboard.
I meant it's ok if you only want 3 fx at once. I think it sounds very good.
Quote by kutless999

Yeah, I would've gotten the rp355, but since it can't do drums and loops simaltaneously, I went with the Zoom G3. I like Digitech, but since it seems their newer pedals strangely enough don't allow drums and loops at the same time, I had to go with the Zoom. I have a couple Zoom pedals, so I'm sure that the G3 will sound pretty awesome! Thanks again!
No problem man, I'm sure you'll enjoy the G3.
Quote by kutless999

Nice stuff, kutless999. I checked out your link in your sig. The Rp355 definitely sounds good. Digitech makes some really nice pedals. As of now I have a Digi GNX3, which is a pretty old large multi-fx, as well as a Zoom B2.1u for bass, an old Zoom 606 for guitar, and a Roland GR-20 that hooks up to my Roland Ready Strat for synth guitar.

Looping is great fun for hours on end. Don't know what I'd do without it!
It's an oldie but a goodie. I have the GNX4 as well. The looper on the RP is only 20 secs. So that's a limitation on top of the lack of drum sync. Also the RP series lacks the multiple assignments per control switch that's available on the GNX. For some reason Digitech decided not to include a lot of stuff on the newer RPs that were on the GNX. Which is a shame because I really could use the multiple control assignment on my RP1000.