When is an amp good enough to be played on by a high end guitar?

Everytime I read a thread about someone wanting advice on a new guitar, he get's adviced to get a new amp . however, since I will be testing and buy a new amp in nov-dec, i'm curious how you guys look at this.
so pure hypothetically: Is a Peavey Vypyr 75/Tube 60/Valveking/etc/etc, good enough to be used with a gibson LP standard (or something of similar quality/price range) or will the guitar not be used to it's capabilities?

And from what range of amps will that same guitar then be used good enough?

hope I was clear enough!
Here's what I usually suggest to people....

If you have $750 to drop on a new guitar, but you're playing through an MG... upgrade the amp first. You'll have a much more noticeable impact on your tone.

However if you're happy with your amp, then play whatever you want through it. There's no rule saying that you have to have a $2,000 amp before you can buy a nice guitar. If you like the way your amp sounds, then you'll really appreciate the way a nice guitar feels and plays. If you're not happy with the tone, then you'll still not be happy with it with a new guitar.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
No your guitar or amp wont explode if you plug a higher quality amp or guitar into a low quality amp or guitar.
Quote by jpatan
Here's what I usually suggest to people....

If you have $750 to drop on a new guitar, but you're playing through an MG... upgrade the amp first. You'll have a much more noticeable impact on your tone.

However if you're happy with your amp, then play whatever you want through it. There's no rule saying that you have to have a $2,000 amp before you can buy a nice guitar. If you like the way your amp sounds, then you'll really appreciate the way a nice guitar feels and plays. If you're not happy with the tone, then you'll still not be happy with it with a new guitar.

+1
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
That's pretty much the same I was thinking. I was just wondering about it since my 33 year old guitar now has the annoying habit to go out of tune every 10 minutes :P. so I was thinking of creating a bigger budget and get a new axe to go along with the amp

any other opinions from people who might change mine?
Its not so much that you can't or shouldn't play a great guitar into a shitty amp... Its that people say 'I want to sound like slash, will buying this guitar help.' In those situations the person is looking for an improvement in sound, and the best way to get that improvement is by upgrading amp. If they said 'I hate the way my guitar feels, I need a faster neck' we wouldn't say they needed a new amp even if they had some terrible amp.

If you want a sound improvement the biggest change you can make is the amp. If you want a feel improvement the biggest change is guitar. Horses for courses.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 24, 2011,
Basically. Here's how it goes.

A good guitar WILL make a difference. But a cheap guitar through a good amp will sound better then a great guitar through a crap amp. The cheap guitar with a good amp will sound decent to good. The great guitar through a crap amp will sound like utter bollocks! *and not the dogs bollocks either* Both have major parts to play in the tone but the amp is the biggest change you can make for the most improvement.

Obviously a nice guitar that is good to play is important for you too but as far as pure tone goes. AMP should always be the first upgrade for good tone.
I will never own a guitar over $1000.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I know too many people that have a Gibson or high end Fender with a marshall MG or something equally shit.

I'm not going to burn them at the stake, but I will laugh at them and look like im in physical pain by the sound of their amp. Unless they brought it into the studio or to a gig, then id actually stab them in the eye.

Do what you want really, its what you like that's important. The thing is you come to a forum asking for advice, so thats what you get.
Say I had $1500 to spend on a new rig... I'd probably drop $600 or so on a nice epiphone les paul or similar, and put the rest into a decent used amp. A nice epi will surely play better than your current old guitar... though if it plays nice you could always just replace the tuners and nut, and it would probably stay in tune better if that's your only issue with it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Patrick89
so pure hypothetically: Is a Peavey Vypyr 75/Tube 60/Valveking/etc/etc, good enough to be used with a gibson LP standard (or something of similar quality/price range) or will the guitar not be used to it's capabilities?

And from what range of amps will that same guitar then be used good enough

For me, no. A Vypyr or a Valveking are budget amps. Not bad, but they're made more to a price point than to a quality/tone standpoint. Maybe some of the bigger tube Vypyrs would make the cut but I'm biased because I think they sound like crap. Of course, any amp that you think doesn't sound like crap is fine for any guitar you like.

You say "range" and I worry that you mean "price range" which is a mistake. Anyway, amps I'd say are good matches "worthy" of a LP Standard:
-Vox AC15/30
-Pretty much any all-tube Fender amp
-Marshall DSL, JCM800, Plexi, JVM, 18 watt, etc etc
-Peavey 5150/6505
-Any Mesa amp
-Spider Valve V2
-Many more, to be sure...
if the amp gives you the sound you want then it's "good enough" for a higher end guitar or any guitar for that matter. beginner amps like an MG are only going to sound so good regardless of what is plugged into them. as for whether a Valveking is good enough well that's what i use and it's by choice not because it's all i could afford. my main guitar is an 88 Fender Stratocaster Plus Deluxe which i think qualifies for a high end guitar. plenty of rocks finest moments were recorded with amps that weren't high end such as a Fender Champ or a Supro. find an amp that you can afford that sounds good to you and go for it. try to play whatever guitar you are planning to get through it and see if the combo works well together .
haha, I agree with the most what is posted here. My plan was to keep a 1:1 or even 2:1 ratio for amp:guitar budget. I was just curious how you guys feel about the subject. and maybe I could find some useful stuff for the buying progress.

Also with range I was talking about quality not price.
As long as you are planning to keep upgrading, there's no reason you can't get a nice guitar first. It might even make more sense to get a guitar you know you want and keep the cheap amp for a year if it keeps you from buying and selling progressively more expensive gear you know you don't like as much.

Modeling amps are great at any budget level if you don't know what you want. They'll help you decide what tones and effects you want to concentrate on.
Really depends on what you need the amp for. For being a living room hero, do I need the amount of power that my 6505 combo gives me? Absolutely not. But for the money that I paid (used), could I have bought something that sounds nearly as good? Not back when I bought the amp, that's for sure.

Everyone has their own idea on what to spend their money on. I don't really see any issues with using one of the tube vypyrs with a $1000-1500 guitar if the vypyr matches your needs (convenience, size, weight, tone at low volumes, versatility...those are reasons I'm thinking about switching to one).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs