I want to try bass. I'm going to probably get a Fendor or Squier bass, and need some suggestions for a reasonable amplifier to start out with. I don't mind spending the money to get a decent amp, and will buy new unless I get lucky on Craigslist. I need some suggestions for an amp. I'd like to get something good enough to have some decent tone. What can I get into for $500-800US that would be a good starter piece?

I read the FAQ, I know not to get a Behringer. What other brands/models should I look at, preferably something I can get at Guitar Center.

I bought three amps before I got the mesa for my guitar. I want to avoid buying three amps for the Bass. So I'll spend what it takes to get decent.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Acoustic is Guitar Center's "budget brand" that make some very affordable, and perfectly serviceable amps if you want to keep it under budget. The B200H with a matching 1x15 or 4x10 would be gig-worthy and relatively inexpensive.

The Peavey Tour TKO and TNT 115 combos would be worth a look too. They've got plenty of power at 400w and 600w respectively, and Peavey just makes a great product. The GK MB115 is another good combo to look at. All of those you should have no problem finding at GC.

If you're willing to look around for used gear, you could probably score a used Markbass Little Mark or GK MB500 head and have enough left over for a cab.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks. I should have added, I don't gig, I'm a learner. I just want an amp/cab or combo that will sound good in the living room. I was thinking of a 2x10 or 1x12 setup.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
well, with that amount of cash, you'll be getting something good enough. AND powerfull. that doesn't mean you won't be able to use it at home. but i don't see the point in spending that much cash without planning to gig, or at least bearing that in mind...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
well, with that amount of cash, you'll be getting something good enough. AND powerfull. that doesn't mean you won't be able to use it at home. but i don't see the point in spending that much cash without planning to gig, or at least bearing that in mind...

Thisss

You went through 3 amps to discover mesa, that's a lesson for sure. Bass amps are primarily Solid State, so they sound relatively the same at full volume and bedroom level unlike tube. Thus, power is good, because it's better if you can turn down, than not turn up. Now if size is an issue, micro rigs are what's hot now, talkbass has a thread that's like 100 pages on just rigs that can be carried by hand in one trip and can make the earth shake. It's a great thread under Mini rig of Doom, that gives lots of great ideas.

Right now I have a GK MB200, a 2 pound 200 watt head, pretty good for $250 new. The also sell a similar combo that's a 2x10 and a matching 2x10 cab, which puts out between 200-400 watts and is about 3.5 feet tall and maybe a 16 inches wide.

But if size isn't an issue do what I do craigslist and pawn shop hunt, when on craiglist google search reviews of anything promising, and at pawn shops take pictues of gear and if you don't have a smart phone go home and google that gear as well. It's wayyyy to easy to make a mistake and lose a lot of money, like you did on your guitar amps
What do you all think of the Gallien-Krueger MB212 2x12, seen here
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnator Rebel 30
MB's are good but do google and youtube reviews for quicker help like I said, not everyone hear has experience. and of course play one.

But a 2x12 combo that's 500 watts and Neo speakers, you're pretty set, a second cab just for giggles down the line