What do you thing about this method?
http://www.tomhess.net/Articles/HowToPracticeForMaximumSpeedPart1.aspx
I'm not sure about stage 2... 35% seems slow, and I don't know if I can handle to practice alternate and sweep picking (whicih I both want to speed up) at that tempo for 5 days.. sounds boring. I respect Hess, but I'm just not sure will this method increase my speed. What do you think?
guitar world had an article about building speed yeasterday on their website. it sounded pretty good if I was at that point in my playing
It'll probably work if you stick at it and not just give up after 1 or 2 sessions.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
It'll probably work if you stick at it and not just give up after 1 or 2 sessions.

Almost anything somewhat proper works if you stick at it long enough, TS. Learning guitar is just a lot of patience.
I don't think I'll give up. I'm not so unpatience, there's no reason to be unpatience , if I think that it will improve my muscle memory, technique and speed.
I'm using this method for alternate and sweep picking for now, and I'll let you guys know if it works, when I finish
Last edited by kimi_page at Oct 28, 2011,
try my approach man, see how it goes. Personally i am very satisfied with it for the simple fact that you see results from the first session, this kjeeps you motivated.

The only thing you have to do is just be disciplined to stick to " the ruleZ" and not haste things up
Quote by apajr
try my approach man, see how it goes. Personally i am very satisfied with it for the simple fact that you see results from the first session, this kjeeps you motivated.

The only thing you have to do is just be disciplined to stick to " the ruleZ" and not haste things up

I really don't understand what do you mean with 4,3,2,1 method in your book. If I practice scale runs using alternate picking how to apply this method?
It's a well known fact you need to practice really slow to work on muscle memory and relaxation. Tom has just laid out a simple method for making sure you do that. Whether you follow this routine or not you'll need to practice that slow a lot of the time.
just to tell you that program is good, because, during the time when I was playing slow I corected my technique and reduced a finger movement from the fretboard. My pinky still flies high, but not that high like before. I could do 6 notes per beat only at 80bpm clearly, and now I can do it at 100bpm with alternate picking major scales, and even faster with alternare picking on one string and two strings licks. I'm still working on legato, tapping and sweep picking using this method. But the whole point is to play so slow and watch yourself, correct technique, clean it up... I underrestimeted playing slow, because it bored me, but now, I see that I couldn't make more progress only with adding more beats. practice slow and fast both!