So a friend of mine asked me to install the nut on his guitar neck for a guitar he was putting together. The neck he presented me with had a slot cut, but it was only a millimetre thick, most likely just cut with a band-saw or something to mark the front of the slot for the nut. I measured it all up and the precut slot was the front of the nut slot, but I still had to widen/deepen it to fit the nut.

I had a go at it with a hacksaw, and made the slot the correct width, then set to work on the depth. Obviously it's pretty damn difficult to get it accurate/even/flat with a freehand hacksaw, but I did my best. When I put the guitar together and strung it though, there were a few problems. The action at the nut was really high, so obviously the first thing to do is to lower the nut.

The main problem here though, is that on various different strings, there are a bunch of notes missing. For example on the low E string the 3rd and 4th fret are both a G# (4th fret) and on the high E string, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th fret are all playing an A.

I've brought the action up at the bridge, changed the truss rod, but none of it works. What is the problem likely to be? The frets look even to me so I don't think its that, will it just be a matter of leveling the nut?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
The intonation would affect how the strings stayed in tune as you move down the fret board, but wouldn't make multiple frets sound the same..?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

If you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing you shouldn't be doing it. 
Last edited by Tyler.Allain at Aug 21, 2017,
Quote by Tyler.Allain
If you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing you shouldn't be doing it.

Point taken, that's why I researched what I was doing before I did it, but apparently this particular thing was more complicated than I thought :S Assuming that the action height at the nut end of the neck has something to do with it, if I build a jig and use a router to put in a precise slot, that should fix it right?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

For a nut slot just use chisels, you'll get a good clean slot. No need for routing.

As for the main problem, have you checked the neck with an accurate straight-edge?