Okay, so my bassist and I are in a huge arguement.

He thinks that by going higher in notes, your hand is going down, and vice versa for for going lower: your hand is going up. Basically, up the neck is from the pickups to the nut, and from the nut to the pickups is down. I can see where he get's his theory, due to the simple physical observation of the hands.

So, I explained to him: When you play a scale going "up," you are going up towards higher notes on the fretboard, and when playing a scale going "down." you are going down to lower notes. Therefore, from pickups to the nut is down, and the nut to the pickups is up. This is formed from the obvious music rules of "A" being lowest pitch and "G" being the highest pitched (forgetting sharps and flats, due to the cross of "G#/Ab"

So what do you guys think? Should/is this to be viewed from a physical perspective or a musical perspective?
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
if you are talking about a scale run then you are correct, and it makes more sense to talk musically if you are say, writing a song. Physically, yes going down the neck is towards the pickups but what does that help describe other than obvious hand position?
Quote by Zeletros
Why would you even consider this an "argument"?

Yh, this is your bassist friend being too obvious in his description of playing
Quote by Zeletros

Lol it's not. But he won't let it go.
- Kurt Cobain
Tell him he's wrong: it's a musical instrument, the physical arrangement is incidental. Up and down should always refer to pitch.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zeletros

This.

I know what you mean but i wouldnt make a big deal out of it.

As far as im concerned DOWN the neck is towards the head, UP the neck is toward the body
Yeah.. I made a typo with "arguement," supposed to be "argument." I'm not the brightest, but still brighter than the average bassist xD
- Kurt Cobain
Quote by death eater
Yeah.. I made a typo with "arguement," supposed to be "argument." I'm not the brightest, but still brighter than the average bassist xD

You want to be careful saying things like that around here, boy

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You want to be careful saying things like that around here, boy

I can see this becoming an "are bassists smart?" war.

@death eater: If you know where is up/down, why are you telling us this here, instead of explaining it to your friend. Unless you posted here to show this thread to your friend. Oh, thinks just got complicated xD
Quote by Daew
I can see this becoming an "are bassists smart?" war.

Yea.. Used to be ... (I'm talking long ago) you could argue that bassists weren't as smart because they could only play 4 strings...

that doesn't seem to work anymore... LOL

Show the guy a piece of sheet music with scales on it...

the higher the notes, the higher on the staff they are...

Just a thought..

can't resist.. what's the easiest way to get a bass player to knock on your door?

Order a Pizza.....

ok I'll stop..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Yea.. Used to be ... (I'm talking long ago) you could argue that bassists weren't as smart because they could only play 4 strings...

If anything, playing a guitar piece in less strings should be harder, and even so if you consider that the action in a bass is usually set up higher.

...Okay, I say we forget this - it's all stereotypes and both instruments are meant for pretty different roles.

Yes, "up or down" in this case should always refer to the pitch of the notes you're playing. Therefore, "up the neck" would mean playing high notes, near the body of the instrument.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tell him he's wrong: it's a musical instrument, the physical arrangement is incidental. Up and down should always refer to pitch.

I can't fully agree with this.
My old bass teacher would refer to going closer to the nut as going up. He would also refer to the bridge pickup as the back pickup, and the neck pickup as the front pickup.
A lot of bass players I know are like this.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Why are you even arguing with him, he is a bassist therefore completely wrong about anything and everything! As you work towards the body of the guitar technically your hand is going down the neck of the guitar; however the notes are slowly going up an octave. So I guess you could call it both if you really wanted to be a stickler.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by kumamilesbear
I can't fully agree with this.
My old bass teacher would refer to going closer to the nut as going up. He would also refer to the bridge pickup as the back pickup, and the neck pickup as the front pickup.
A lot of bass players I know are like this.

That doesn't make him right.

The arrangement of the notes on the instrument is, as I said, purely incidental; for absolute clarity you should always refer to pitch and not position. I don't know any good bass players or guitarists who work that way.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That doesn't make him right.

The arrangement of the notes on the instrument is, as I said, purely incidental; for absolute clarity you should always refer to pitch and not position. I don't know any good bass players or guitarists who work that way.

He was a good bass player..

But I understand what you're saying. I was just trying to provide a counterexample from somebody who's considered a talented and knowledgable guy, as opposed to a novice bass player.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Using your bassist's logic, your high e string is actually your lowest string on the guitar, because it is the closest to the ground. But when somebody says low e string, everyone knows you mean the lower pitched E string.
This is very common for the simple fact that it is some kind of paradox:

If you god own the neck - you go up and vice versa.

What you explained to him about notes should be enough to make him understand
Lol he understands, but he is very stubborn. He won't give up until he is right. I really don't understand his thought process.

But like I said, I can see why he thinks it, but musically speaking his argument is shot down. And I don't think all bassists are dumb haha. But my bassist, here is another example:

Me - (copying the A7X scene with Syn and Zacky walking around from the bass room) "You can't spell bass without ass."

Bassist - "And you can't spell drum without dum."
- Kurt Cobain