About a year ago I bought my first steel string acoustic because my only acoustic guitar was a classical nylon string acoustic. I got a cheap Ibanez guitar just to mess around with. I love the tone of the guitar but I've noticed that the screws that hold the machine heads to the headstock are not really in place anymore. It looks like the holes in the wood of the head stock are stripped, so if I take off all of the strings they just fall out. When I have stings in, the only real issue is that if I bump the guitar the machine heads move a little bit, causing some strings to detune. How could I go about fixing this? I would try to get bigger screws to remake the threading in the wood, but I don't a bigger screw could fit though the holes in the machine heads. Would I have to buy new machine heads all together, like one with bigger mounting holes so I could fit a bigger screw (I don't really want to fork a lot of money on a cheap guitar, I'd rather save up and buy a better one), or is there some way to fill the holes up and rethread them? Thanks.
Quote by fedora bora
About a year ago I bought my first steel string acoustic because my only acoustic guitar was a classical nylon string acoustic. I got a cheap Ibanez guitar just to mess around with. I love the tone of the guitar but I've noticed that the screws that hold the machine heads to the headstock are not really in place anymore. It looks like the holes in the wood of the head stock are stripped, so if I take off all of the strings they just fall out. When I have stings in, the only real issue is that if I bump the guitar the machine heads move a little bit, causing some strings to detune. How could I go about fixing this? I would try to get bigger screws to remake the threading in the wood, but I don't a bigger screw could fit though the holes in the machine heads. Would I have to buy new machine heads all together, like one with bigger mounting holes so I could fit a bigger screw (I don't really want to fork a lot of money on a cheap guitar, I'd rather save up and buy a better one), or is there some way to fill the holes up and rethread them? Thanks.

Tooth picks and elmers glue..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Easy with the glue. If you ever want to get the machine heads off again, you don't want to crack the headstock trying to pull one off. A good shim shouldn't need glue to hold it in place. Toothpicks or bamboo barbeque skewers cut to size are good. Machine head screws are sometimes too small to bite properly with a shim (or even without one) so you may have to use a bit of epoxy to completely fill the hole in and start over. That's not the end of the world, though a shim is an easier solution if it holds.