Hi guys.

The other day I made a video of my picking and stuck it in another thread for feedback. I'v decided to make a new one day to see if I have made any progress, and to receive some more feedback and advice.

I actually saw a teacher today and we briefly went over some picking, but only briefly as it was not a technique lesson. He told me it could be a good idea to ply big and exaggerated until my picking technique/ motion is good, and then refine it to smaller motion afterwards. He also said to make it a bit more like a strum motion, but all from the wrist.

I also though, I have always been pretty good at down picking, so I tried basing my alternate picking more on my down picking technique.

I know I could still be playing a little more relaxed. But it has only been a few days.

Any way, here is the video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAPI_Qjg51I

Any tips would be a giant help.

A big thanks goes to HYDRA150 for his previous help.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 24, 2011,
Yay for Hydra150

Its awesome that you're taking steps to change your technique but unfortunately the second video still has a similar problem to the first. You are still anchoring your pinky (and perhaps ring finger) onto the string/pickup. You seem to be using your arm less but your thumb more, which isnt better.

I can see that youre trying to use your wrist more but if your full hand isnt free to rotate then that is useless. It seems that you are gripping the pick with your pointer, middle finger and thumb with the other two fingers gripping the guitar's body.This is creating resistance in your hand and wrist I think. I cant tell how tense your fingers are but I image that you're exerting yourself too much.

So first of all you need to relax your fingers and hand and wrist. Dont grip the pick too tight, as light as you can while still getting a decent sound and not dropping it.Do not hold onto (anchor) your fingers to the high e string/pickup/body of the guitar. Curl up your fingers a bit, especially youre pinky, so that youre less likely to anchor.

When picking try not to tense up. Practice real slowly and make sure you do it without any tension, then when you can pick in time while staying relaxed start building the speed back up.

Watch this video: http://chainsawguitartuition.net/blog/what-is-anchoring-and-why-is-it-bad/
Read the Guitar Techniques Sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Yay for Hydra150

Its awesome that you're taking steps to change your technique but unfortunately the second video still has a similar problem to the first. You are still anchoring your pinky (and perhaps ring finger) onto the string/pickup. You seem to be using your arm less but your thumb more, which isnt better.

I can see that youre trying to use your wrist more but if your full hand isnt free to rotate then that is useless. It seems that you are gripping the pick with your pointer, middle finger and thumb with the other two fingers gripping the guitar's body.This is creating resistance in your hand and wrist I think. I cant tell how tense your fingers are but I image that you're exerting yourself too much.

So first of all you need to relax your fingers and hand and wrist. Dont grip the pick too tight, as light as you can while still getting a decent sound and not dropping it.Do not hold onto (anchor) your fingers to the high e string/pickup/body of the guitar. Curl up your fingers a bit, especially youre pinky, so that youre less likely to anchor.

When picking try not to tense up. Practice real slowly and make sure you do it without any tension, then when you can pick in time while staying relaxed start building the speed back up.

Watch this video: http://chainsawguitartuition.net/blog/what-is-anchoring-and-why-is-it-bad/
Read the Guitar Techniques Sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091796

+1

I would also add the following:

- practice these alternate picking exercises so you can train your up strokes to : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/alternate-picking-exercises/

- It appears to me that you still don't have a good control of what you are playing.

Start slow and be patient. Use a metronome.

Use the 4,3,2,1 X 4 method (i wrote about it in chapter 2 here : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/ )

- Be patient alternate picking same as guitar playing is a process, focus on being relaxed and accurate. Speed comes with time as a consequence of the first 2 factors
Quote by Hydra150
Yay for Hydra150

Great thanks. I'll get right on it. Some of these things you have mentioned I am not even aware I am doing, so I think its pretty important that I made this video.

I'll probably make another in a couple of days.

(I actually used to watch Michael Angelo a lot when was a beginner, which is where I think I inherited the anchor from. (I find Michael Angelo boring now))
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 25, 2011,
So I have made another video to show my progress and get some more feedback.

This time I have given you more light, a shot that shows my elbow and forum better and I am not anchoring with my fingers at in. They are in fact kind of spewed all over the place I think.

So any tips? Is this good at last? If it is I can begin to refine it.

Oh, and sorry that I take a little time to actually play. Just keep watching =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX1WlQ8m3Kg

OK POTENTIAL PROBLEM.

IT SEEMS TO LOOK DARKER ON YOUTUBE THAN ON MY PC.

I'll have to redo it.

Here: lightings a bit better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTQFbPpTSQ
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 27, 2011,
Dont do it with the camera facing the window, itll adjust it for outdoors light so the indoors stuff will look darker. You face the window or just shut the curtain and stick the light on. Get light facing you, not the camera.
Quote by Hydra150
Dont do it with the camera facing the window, itll adjust it for outdoors light so the indoors stuff will look darker. You face the window or just shut the curtain and stick the light on. Get light facing you, not the camera.

Yeah it was a silly mistake because I have a diploma in film production. When I watched the video on media player it was actually ok to see though.

And from watching the new video, am I doing to much of a twisting motion?
I'm certain I can see the problem now. Your wrist isn't actually moving from the joint, but rather your whole forearm, much like turning a key to open a door or start a car.

The movement of your hand needs to change entirely, so that your hand is moving from the wrist joint, like using a hammer.
Quote by mdc
I'm certain I can see the problem now. Your wrist isn't actually moving from the joint, but rather your whole forearm, much like turning a key to open a door or start a car.

The movement of your hand needs to change entirely, so that your hand is moving from the wrist joint, like using a hammer.

I have a feeling I probably hammer with my elbow to =P But I think I understand what you mean.
Well at least youve stopped the anchoring, which is awesome. mdc is right, you seem to be twisting your arm. Grab your forearm with your fretting hand and keep it still, try to move your hand from the wrist without twisting or moving your forearm. Thats what your picking motion should be like. You seem to be doing it more from the wrist towards the end of the video I think.

Its quite awkward to explain and I dont have a camera to show you.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Oct 27, 2011,
If you've been picking this way for a long time, you'll probably have to pick with this "new and correct" technique very slowly to induce muscle memory. Hmm, sorry.
Quote by mdc
If you've been picking this way for a long time, you'll probably have to pick with this "new and correct" technique very slowly to induce muscle memory. Hmm, sorry.

I haven't been doing it all that long. 6 months maybe.

For about 3 years I never thought about picking technique. I didn't rest my palm near the bridge, I just floated, and I anchored my pinky. I could go pretty fast but it hurt after a while. One day I discovered the idea of better hand posion, but it took ages to get position that was actually good.

So I want less of a twist motion and no elbow. Check.

I feel more free with out the anchor.
That's cool. Sorry man, I didn't mean to assume you always picked that way.

I wouldn't say no elbow at all though. The movement from the elbow will be subtle as you travel across the strings.
Quote by mdc
That's cool. Sorry man, I didn't mean to assume you always picked that way.

I wouldn't say no elbow at all though. The movement from the elbow will be subtle as you travel across the strings.

Its fine. I wasn't offended or any thing, you were stating a fact =P

I think I'll have to go mega slow to break the habit any way.
Right, I think I have made some big progress here so I made another video.

Excuse the random jelly hands at the start.

Also, I'm aware that I'm quite tense.

But does this look like improvement?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE3uz2u5gBE

I'v just noticed whilst watching the video back that I think I anchored my picky a tiny bit about half way through with out realising. But I guess keeping the anchor up for good will take some getting used to.
It looks like improvment. Just pay attention to make sure you dont anchor by accident.
The technique you're using now, I'd apply that to all the alternate picking exercises in your Rock module from college. Volumes 1, 2 and 3
Quote by mdc
The technique you're using now, I'd apply that to all the alternate picking exercises in your Rock module from college. Volumes 1, 2 and 3

Nice. How long ago is it that you did the course? This year they have actually made a few changes to the course, added and taken away some classes.

Rocks still the same though.

-

Here is another new vid. My hands were a bit cold, which was probably naughty.

But I was working on playing more relaxed with no anchor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz8AM0S5UTA
Try balling your pinky up a little. I notice that your other fingers are sort of curled, but that your pinky is straight. Try curling it like the other two that aren't in contact with the plectrum, or perhaps curl all three fingers a bit more so that they definitely clear the strings. That way, your pinky doesn't even have the option of slipping back into that habit. Just an idea, though, if it's uncomfortable or if it causes tension, revert.

As far as the exaggerated pick motions go, that's fine - until it becomes a problem. By this I mean that the quicker you play, the less of a V motion your wrists will have time to make. Also, your wrists tire more quickly that way, which you're probably aware of.

Unrelated tips:

• The metronome sound you're using can really grate on one's ears over time.

• Tuning up before you play not only sounds better, but playing slightly out of tune can subconsciously mess up your determination and concentration. I've been playing for twelve years or so, and that is actually the reason I tune before I play.
Last edited by Daimoth at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Daimoth
Try balling your pinky up a little. I notice that your other fingers are sort of curled, but that your pinky is straight. Try curling it like the other two that aren't in contact with the plectrum, or perhaps curl all three fingers a bit more so that they definitely clear the strings. That way, your pinky doesn't even have the option of slipping back into that habit. Just an idea, though, if it's uncomfortable or if it causes tension, revert.

As far as the exaggerated pick motions go, that's fine - until it becomes a problem. By this I mean that the quicker you play, the less of a V motion your wrists will have time to make. Also, your wrists tire more quickly that way, which you're probably aware of.

Unrelated tips:

• The metronome sound you're using can really grate on one's ears over time.

• Tuning up before you play not only sounds better, but playing slightly out of tune can subconsciously mess up your determination and concentration. I've been playing for twelve years or so, and that is actually the reason I tune before I play.

My mum hates my metronome tone haha.

Thanks for the tips. I will try them out.