Okay, I promise this is my last thread about stupid interfaces! :P

My birthday is for coming (about 2 weeks), and I'm going to invest in an interface. Since I financially suck, the budged will fit for either M-Audio Fast Track, Fast Track Pro (it's interesting that the Fast Track Pro version WITH Pro Tools is like $50 cheaper here), E-MU 0202, E-MU 0204. I don't really know which of these to get (if any of them are decent).

Okay, now the thing I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND.
When I buy it, should I connect my guitar to my amp, then my amp's pre-amp out to the interface, which goes to the computer?

Will I then need to load a Cab in Reaper, and that will suffice? Or I need those bloody impulses (are they basically virtual amps)?

Thanks. A lot if you answer.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

You will need to run an impulse. Otherwise it will just sound like a distortion pedal into nothing (ie: a bunch of scratchy clipping). Alternatively, you could just plug your guitar directly into the interface and run an amp sim, just depends which sound you like better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Okay, thanks a lot man. Could you just explain what's an impulse, or which one should I pick. I'll kiss you then.

EDIT: And an opinion on what interface to get would be too awesomely cool!
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Last edited by Smaratelj at Oct 24, 2011,
Anyone? Sorry for the double post.
Quote by YouTube user

For the hundredth bloody time, you do not run an impulse! (Sorry, someone has taught you and many others here bad habits).

An impulse is a small noise signal used to measure the response of various physical/analogue environments, so they can be simulated by a computer with the results.

You want an IMPULSE RESPONSE, or the reaponse of an impulse sent through (in this case, various guitar cabs through various microphones in various positions.

*deep breath*

Ok, glad I got that off my chest...

Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
For the hundredth bloody time, you do not run an impulse! (Sorry, someone has taught you and many others here bad habits).

An impulse is a small noise signal used to measure the response of various physical/analogue environments, so they can be simulated by a computer with the results.

You want an IMPULSE RESPONSE, or the reaponse of an impulse sent through (in this case, various guitar cabs through various microphones in various positions.

*deep breath*

Ok, glad I got that off my chest...

Someone woke up on wrong side of bed…It's easier to type impulse than impulse response
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 25, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
Someone woke up on wrong side of bed…It's easier to type impulse than impulse response

+1, it's pretty understood in the audio world what someone means when "impulse" and "amp" are used in the same conversation...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Okay, thanks guys, I'm e-kissing every one of you.

Just for my mind, does the impulse response actually use the sound from my amp? Thanks. :P
Quote by YouTube user

Quote by Smaratelj
Okay, thanks guys, I'm e-kissing every one of you.

Just for my mind, does the impulse response actually use the sound from my amp? Thanks. :P

Here is RedWirez' explanation, which does a pretty decent job of explaining it:

What's an impulse response?

"What's an impulse response?", you ask. Only your key to unleashing killer guitar tones at any volume. Finally, you can give the neighbors some other reason to call the cops.

For the technical among us, an impulse response (or "IR") realistically captures the characteristics, both in frequency and time, of an entire signal chain, including the sampled speaker, the microphone, the room it's in, the power amp, preamp -- even the A/D converters. Put another way, it'll capture the unique frequency curve of the speaker, any phase smearing inherent in the mechanical operation of the speaker, any cabinet resonance, the frequency response and resonance of the mic, the sound of the room, and any frequency or phase related coloration introduced by the power amp, preamp, and converters and apply that captured sound to any audio you pass through it... or so our even geekier friends tell us.

For simplicity's sake, just know that it's a cab simulation, so yes - It uses the sound of your amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by YouTube user

For the record, I have done two 11 1/2 hour days at work, so pretty tired when writing the mini-rant earlier, and I was only winding you up in frustration I know I'm pedantic, but what is this world coming to with lazy naming of things
Quote by DisarmGoliath
For the record, I have done two 11 1/2 hour days at work, so pretty tired when writing the mini-rant earlier, and I was only winding you up in frustration I know I'm pedantic, but what is this world coming to with lazy naming of things

well if you weren't lazy you would spell out eleven and a half. but did you? no
No worries ^^
Now that you've replied, I can rightfully ask this again: which one of the interfaces I mentioned in the 1st post would be the best for the price?

Thanks. :P
Quote by YouTube user

Quote by Smaratelj
No worries ^^
Now that you've replied, I can rightfully ask this again: which one of the interfaces I mentioned in the 1st post would be the best for the price?

Thanks. :P

If you want to record your amp that way, then that is the correct way as long as you make sure you always have a speaker cab connected (or you will blow the output transformer of your amp. This should not be an issue though, as from my understanding you can have the master volume on zero and still get the signal from the preamp as the signal is taken before the power amp section of your amp.

The real question is whether your amp has a decent preamp, and if it will allow for a better tone than using amp sims. I always see the preamp-out method as the middle ground with guitar tracking... it has some of the realism of using a real amp but tonally will differ due to the lack of running through a power amp into a microphone, although a good impulse response should potentially recreate this.

The other two are, of course, miking an amp up or going DI into amp sims.

Ultimately the quality of your amp matters in this scenario, whereas a decent amp sim and IR will usually sound better than a poor quality preamp ever could

Oh, and of those I guess the Fast Track Pro, but I've never used an E-MU interface to be honest. If it comes with PT M-Powered 9 (which Avid were supposed to have dropped at version 8 ) I would probably not use it and get another DAW or immediately crossgrade to proper PT to make it actually viable vs other DAWs that offer the basic facilities that M-Powered leaves out.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
If you want to record your amp that way, then that is the correct way as long as you make sure you always have a speaker cab connected (or you will blow the output transformer of your amp. This should not be an issue though, as from my understanding you can have the master volume on zero and still get the signal from the preamp as the signal is taken before the power amp section of your amp.

The real question is whether your amp has a decent preamp, and if it will allow for a better tone than using amp sims. I always see the preamp-out method as the middle ground with guitar tracking... it has some of the realism of using a real amp but tonally will differ due to the lack of running through a power amp into a microphone, although a good impulse response should potentially recreate this.

The other two are, of course, miking an amp up or going DI into amp sims.

Ultimately the quality of your amp matters in this scenario, whereas a decent amp sim and IR will usually sound better than a poor quality preamp ever could

Oh, and of those I guess the Fast Track Pro, but I've never used an E-MU interface to be honest. If it comes with PT M-Powered 9 (which Avid were supposed to have dropped at version 8 ) I would probably not use it and get another DAW or immediately crossgrade to proper PT to make it actually viable vs other DAWs that offer the basic facilities that M-Powered leaves out.

Thanks for the response! I noticed that Reaper is praised, so I think I'll go with it (I already toyed with it to learn about the functions and such). Of course, I'll buy the PT version 'cause it's cheaper.

Well, my amp is a British Marshall JVM410C, so I don't really think the pre-amp is bad. I still want your opinion, though.
Quote by YouTube user