any thoughts?

also there is a little bit of a clicking/ticking sound that may be coming from the transformer(s). is that oscilation? because it mentions in the layout that if oscilation were to occur reverse the blue and brown wires.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/6m45_layout.jpg
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No, oscillation is a far more horrifying sound. It's not easily confused with silence - you'll know it when you hear it.

Work your way backwards, starting at the mains plug, and check all of your connections with a meter. If there's no sound at all you're probably not getting current somewhere along the line.
Quote by Roc8995
No, oscillation is a far more horrifying sound. It's not easily confused with silence - you'll know it when you hear it.

Work your way backwards, starting at the mains plug, and check all of your connections with a meter. If there's no sound at all you're probably not getting current somewhere along the line.

thanks for the reply. i chased down a short in there prior to the no sound thing and traced a lot of the wiring back.

so its not oscilating.

why would the transformer be ticking?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
It's arcing, perhaps. Generally that's something you can see, though. Are you sure it's not the tubes? They'll often tick, especially when warming up or cooling off.
transformers will tick if you didn't wire up the speaker out correctly and it's either a. not seeing a load or b. grounded.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Roc8995
It's arcing, perhaps. Generally that's something you can see, though. Are you sure it's not the tubes? They'll often tick, especially when warming up or cooling off.

what would be arcing?

it wouldn't suprise me that it was the tubes. the tubes weber sends out are nonbranded nonmatched, and i am biasing them as cold as possible until it gets sound. could i have them biased too cool for volume?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by AcousticMirror
transformers will tick if you didn't wire up the speaker out correctly and it's either a. not seeing a load or b. grounded.

i will check the speaker out again, but i ran it to the impedence switch, then took the lead off of the transformer and bypassed the switch and it still did the same thing.

which transformer would be more likely to tick.

is there a way to test that they have a load.

what are you referring to as grounded?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
okay, gone through a few more fuses.

earlier the light was on, fuse holding fine but no sound.

come back later, and it pops when i turn the mains on.

remove the power tubes and rectifier, replace fuse, light on.

put power tubes back in, fire up the mains, light on.

pull the power tubes and put rectifier back and the fuse blows.

during a foxhole prayer i put every tube back in and it poped again.

so i know that it is something to do with the rectifier, something is shorting in the rectifier circuit.

looked back and realized that it wanted sloblows and i picked up the fuse at radio shack and the fuses are fast acting.

could that be causing the problem?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i dont normally bump my own threads, but this is time sensitive.

so for the late night crew and whatever time it is for you aussies, HELP!

does anybody think its because it has fast reacting fuses that they just die where a sloblow would fix everything?

thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
you might try the slo blos.

i depends...i think for solid state rectifiers you can use slo blos.

although i'm looking at the back of my amps and a lot of them say do not use slo blo.

where do you have it fused?

i'd disconnect the power supply and start checking every node to make sure your voltages are right.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Sounds like the 3A fuse is blowing?

Only when the WZ rectifier tube is installed?

Is all the wiring correct for tube socket number? Are all the wires correct coming from the transformer? Bad tube?

See if you can't find a diagram on-line with expected voltages.

Also do you want to post a pic, in particular of the rectifier circuit and power transformer.

Also make sure the wires coming through the chassis for the PT are not rubbing on it and grounding out.
the fast action 3A fuses were blowing. i just got back from radioshack with 3A sloblows, pop one in and no go.

then i read closer and see that the 500mA fuse is also a sloblow (which i dont have) so i need to go back.

Quote by R45VT
Sounds like the 3A fuse is blowing? yes

Only when the WZ rectifier tube is installed? yes

Is all the wiring correct for tube socket number? Are all the wires correct coming from the transformer? Bad tube? the tube is the Weber copper cap, tested it best i could and it seems fine, i am positive on all the wiring on the tube socket, i have had my own eyes over everything as well as two other people, one being my grandpa and he worked on flight simulators in the 60's for the navy, then worked a job for 30 years designing stuff for dinoraur computers (Control Data was the company), so i really dont know what is up.

See if you can't find a diagram on-line with expected voltages. i looked and can't.

Also do you want to post a pic, in particular of the rectifier circuit and power transformer. sure. give me a few minutes.

Also make sure the wires coming through the chassis for the PT are not rubbing on it and grounding out. i doubt so all of the holes have a rubber O-ring, but will check again.

thanks.

AM- the schematic calls for sloblows in both points, i have not had both in there other than the first time it poped, and need 500mA sloblows to concur.

what do you mean by where are you fusing it?

and its tube rectified.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
By "no go" did you mean it popped as well?

If the 500ma isn't blowing it can't hurt to switch it to spec but that is not the concern.
Quote by R45VT
By "no go" did you mean it popped as well?

If the 500ma isn't blowing it can't hurt to switch it to spec but that is not the concern.

no go meant the fuse blew. sorry about that...

here is how it is at the moment.

if i have all tubes in (including the rectifier) it pops the fuse.
if i have all of the tubes in execpt for the rectifier, the fuse is fine.
power tubes only, its fine.
preamp tubes only its fine.

would that be safe to say it is in the rectifier circuit with those eliminations?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
do you have any pics?

3A fuse is correct for US voltage, 220V voltage is 2A.

By chance is your .047uf cap twisted or grounding out? The one off the standby switch?
Being that all your power runs through your rectifier tube, when you pull it out it doesn't give any plate voltage through the circuit. So. All your eliminating by pulling the rectifier tube is the heaters. It is possible that somehow there is a short in the rectifier tube, but I doubt it. It's probably a short somewhere. Look more carefully.
Quote by R45VT
do you have any pics?

3A fuse is correct for US voltage, 220V voltage is 2A.

By chance is your .047uf cap twisted or grounding out? The one off the standby switch?

the diagram shows that the .047uf cap is supposed to go to ground? it is grounded to the chassis.

the amp is a mess at the moment, i am going to pretty it up once it is actually working. sorry it probably looks like a rats nest.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Dude- the green wires off the PT. Where do you have them hooked? They appear to be hooked a junction before off to the light- but there is a bunch of other shit hooked there as well. Whats up there? Hard to tell from the pictures. Should be all filament connections.

Also the .047uf cap off the stand by switch- the soldered lead to the switch- it's not touching the case is it?
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by R45VT
Dude- the green wires off the PT. Where do you have them hooked? They appear to be hooked a junction before off to the light- but there is a bunch of other shit hooked there as well. Whats up there? Hard to tell from the pictures. Should be all filament connections.

Also the .047uf cap off the stand by switch- the soldered lead to the switch- it's not touching the case is it?

i couldn't get the transformer wires into the terminals on the light, so i used the cloth covered wire to get to the light and hooked the transformer wires into the green wires and led those to my filaments.

the wire is not touching the chassis just the terminal on the switch, and the cap, with the cap headed to ground.

thanks for the help. i really appreciate it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The white wire coming form the tone stack appears to be very close to your green wire junction for the lighting. Is it touching?

Also the junction seems to be a tube socket, you don't have anything plugged in there do you?
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 26, 2011,