i think i understand how to do volume swells. I can't do them always right but I can slowly.

I have a Marshall MG15DFX which seems to include Reverb and Delay. But the delay doesn't sound delayed enough. Is it me? or is it just the bad delay effect the amp has?
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
i think i understand how to do volume swells. I can't do them always right but I can slowly.

I have a Marshall MG15DFX which seems to include Reverb and Delay. But the delay doesn't sound delayed enough. Is it me? or is it just the bad delay effect the amp has?

well, I'd say off hand that the built in Delay probably is your problem.. They probably included it to give you the option of a kind of "slapback" effect... you want anything more than that, you'll probably have to buy a pedal...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
well, I'd say off hand that the built in Delay probably is your problem.. They probably included it to give you the option of a kind of "slapback" effect... you want anything more than that, you'll probably have to buy a pedal...
Naw, you can get some spacy sounds out of it, only the delay time ranges from slapback-ish to pretty delayed (think 250-400ms or something, nothing David Gilmour-ish) and nothing more

I didn't really catch the volume thing, were you trying to ask a question about that too? 'Cos if you don't I'd advise you to make sure the thread title is actually related to your question next time

I had the same lil' amp as you for a while. It wasn't fantastic but it did the job as a practice amp. Thing is tho: the effects aren't too good. It has a flanger which is WAY noisy, I can't recall using the chorus at all for whatever reason. The reverb was the most "usable" effect and I used that one pretty often. Thing is tho -> it sounds pretty artificial so I don't blame you if you can't really tell the difference between that effect and the delay (trust me, you'll notice once you get to play with some nice spring reverb amps)

Perhaps you should view these effects as "samplers": it's nice that they're on there and you may find 'em pretty useful to get familiar with these particular effects, but I sure hope you didn't buy the amp just for these effects because they're really not that good. The delay for one is way noisy, the range (as I said) is kinda limited and you can't alter any parameters like output or feedback. You're really gonna need a pedal for that stuff

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Oct 24, 2011,
Is this two questions in one or just a mind fark?

A volume swell is just you rolling up the volume from "0" on your guitar to whatever level you want it at, AFTER you have attacked a note.

And the built in delay in your amp sucks because it's a cheaper practice amp
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
volume swells. do you mean turn the volume nob so your guitar goes from 0 - 10? are you retarded? you turn the nob. i suppose the only thing that would matter if you pot is logarithmic or linear
...aaaaanyways

I wouldn't recommend buying a used Boss delay like the DD6 or 7: got me 2 of those and they both gave up on me after a month or so. Newbies may write reviews on this site about those pedals being "built like a tank", but it's really not that hard to mess one up. If you're going to buy one be sure to get it new or from a friend. If you're looking for cheap models check out the Carl Martin Red Repeat, DigiTech DigiDelay, Ibanez DE-7, perhaps the Danelectro PB&J...

There's tons of higher end delays as well by brands like Vox, Electro-Harmonix, Line 6 (not the Echo Park), Moog, MXR, T-rex, Fulltone... In short: you're in for a treat cos delay is like the most popular effect out there after overdrive and distortion so go and try out bunch of pedals

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by cainmd
volume swells. do you mean turn the volume nob so your guitar goes from 0 - 10? are you retarded? you turn the nob. i suppose the only thing that would matter if you pot is logarithmic or linear

Way to be a dick. But yeah, volume swells and delay are two different things man. For volume swells I suggest using a volume pedal.
Quote by cainmd

There is a delay effect that makes the playing sound like it have been reversed.
I don't really know how it works myself, but at least I don't post a comment like you did with that attitude.
Quote by shwilly
...aaaaanyways

I wouldn't recommend buying a used Boss delay like the DD6 or 7: got me 2 of those and they both gave up on me after a month or so. Newbies may write reviews on this site about those pedals being "built like a tank", but it's really not that hard to mess one up. If you're going to buy one be sure to get it new or from a friend. If you're looking for cheap models check out the Carl Martin Red Repeat, DigiTech DigiDelay, Ibanez DE-7, perhaps the Danelectro PB&J...

There's tons of higher end delays as well by brands like Vox, Electro-Harmonix, Line 6 (not the Echo Park), Moog, MXR, T-rex, Fulltone... In short: you're in for a treat cos delay is like the most popular effect out there after overdrive and distortion so go and try out bunch of pedals

I bought my dd-6 used and i've had it for about a year and a half and play 3+ shows a month as well as practice around once a week and i've never had an issue maybe you really STOMP on your pedals..

anyway, yeah, the delay on your amp probably sucks. and as was stated, you may be having an issue because of your pot, if it seems like your volume is going straight from zero to ten as opposed to swelling.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I haven't tried volume swells with a delay pedal (I don't have one, currently), but I do them with reverb. I used to have an MG 100HDFX and the reverb actually isn't too bad on them. But it's nothing compared to my TC Electronic Hall of Fame pedal on "Cathedral" mode. You might be able to do them with your amp's reverb, but you need to set it up for maximum decay/sustain - which probably isn't all that long on that amp. With my pedal, I can get 20 seconds of lush trail-off.

All a volume swell is is setting your volume to zero so you don't hear any pick attack, then turning it up to hear the body of the notes. The reverb/delay just makes the notes last longer and sound more atmospheric, since you've lost some of the duration of the note(s) by canceling the initial attack. If you don't have a volume pedal, you can just toggle the guitar's volume knob with your fingers and go back and forth w/ picking, or you can hammer on/pull off the notes and keep your picking hand on the volume knob. A volume pedal would be much easier, but I get by without one.
I'm wondering, when you do fast playing volume swells such as Echo Etude, do you have to put the volume knob all the way down to 0 (or 1) , so that it doesn't sound or can you let it sound soft?