Lately i've been practicing my hammer ons/pull offs and have realized that when pulling off my finger hits the higher string which causes it to make a muted sound especially when pulling off from third finger to second finger.Is this avoidable and if so how can i avoid it? Thanks in advance
You mean like if you're doing a pull-off on the b string it hits the high e?
You're probably pulling off at a slight angle.
Try slowing yourself down to the point where you can control the angle of the pull-off so that it's a straight 90 degree angle.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Absolutely man.
I had the same problem when I was learning pull-offs, and so I asked my teacher, that's what he told me me and it fixed the problem to the extent that I use too many pull-offs in my lead work.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
You mean like if you're doing a pull-off on the b string it hits the high e?
You're probably pulling off at a slight angle.
Try slowing yourself down to the point where you can control the angle of the pull-off so that it's a straight 90 degree angle.

Actually, you're "supposed" (yeah I know there are no rights and wrongs..) to pull off at a slight angle to get it to ring out as loud as it does when you hammer on.
Guthrie Govan said in a fairly recent Guitar World video that he kinda flicks the string a bit, as if he was picking it sortof.
You obviously don't want to make any big movements to the side, though, because you don't want to hit any adjacent strings when you do it. It's all in small subtle things you do with your fingers.
I think this is one of those things were you just have to slow things down a lot and get your movements more accurate.
Anyway..keep practicing those subtleties!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
My fingers always hit the higher string when pulling off, I notice a tiny bit of string noise from the higher string, mostly when pulling off on the low E and A strings. I pull off to the fretboard itself. Should I pull off away from the fretboard?? Is that what most people do?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
You pull off down and up, 90 degrees and you don't actually pull off, you just lift your finger soundlessly.

You need to work on finding an angle that creates a clear sound and also doesn't hit the string above.
Quote by Freepower
You pull off down and up, 90 degrees and you don't actually pull off, you just lift your finger soundlessly.

You need to work on finding an angle that creates a clear sound and also doesn't hit the string above.

The way I have been doing it is the I 'flick' the string with my finger(downwards). My finger does end up hitting the fretboard howver. Should I just be 'lifting off'?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Freepower
Sorry, I misworded that a little - you pull off with a slight angle, you need to pluck the string. However, it shouldn't strike other strings.

I see I have been pulling off but my finger goes down to the fretboard(sometimes causing string noise), I thought this approach was good because it kept my fingers very close to the string and would make me faster. I will try a lesser angle. What about if I am pulling off to an open string with my index, I would have to pull off to the fretboard or else their would be strings ringing underneath right?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
If you're pulling of (ex. 10th fret B string to 9th fret B string) Then you would have your middle finger on the 10th fret and your index on your 9th fret. You would then pull your middle finger from the 10th fret in a slight pluck down towards the high E string, but while doing this, your index finger is also touching the E string to mute it. Then it wouldn't matter if you hit it on the pull of or not.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325