So guys, I've been trying to record some guitar sound on my laptop but I keep getting crackles, latency and horrible noises.

my rig is:

Greco 77' Strat -> Digitech DF-7 -> Digitech Digidelay -> Vox AC 15 -> Lexicon Alpha Recording Studio -> Cubase.

I'm using the ASIO Alpha driver, because Asio4all won't reproduce the sounds coming from the guitar :/. What can I do to get rid of the crackles?

I also tried recording directly through the Lexicon and adding effects and amps on Cubase, but I can't get a nice sustained tone, maybe if you could help me achieve a good 'digital' tone my problems would be solved.

Thanks in advance.
█████████████████████████
First question, when you go direct. Guitar to interface do you still get crackling?

To reduce latency you'll need to reduce your buffer size. Find this in preferences in cubase and reduce the samples down 128 etc. You need to turn this up during mixing because it will increase problem with plug in and such.
Quote by Wild Hopkins
First question, when you go direct. Guitar to interface do you still get crackling?

To reduce latency you'll need to reduce your buffer size. Find this in preferences in cubase and reduce the samples down 128 etc. You need to turn this up during mixing because it will increase problem with plug in and such.

Yes I do get crackles sometimes, but it takes a lot more gain and distortion and stuff for that to happen.
Ok, cool.

At this point it could be two things I think. First ensure that you're not overloading the signal at any stage going into the recording software. So look at the interface if it's got a meter ensure that not hitting red when you play the loudest part. Also on the input on cubase ensure that this isn't hitting the red. This will result in a digital distortion which is not good.

Second I would do is try a different lead. Often dirty or cheap leads have bad connections and result if your moving while playing you could be cause the contact of the wires to come loose.

Try these two things out and let me know. Then will sort out the effect pedals.
I regulate the input levels, but I still get the red 'overload' light and noise, even with the input at 25%ish
Are you using a headphone out, a line out, or a speaker out from the amp?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Speaker or headphones, get crackles on both
Quote by MuffinBrain
I regulate the input levels, but I still get the red 'overload' light and noise, even with the input at 25%ish

Sounds like your are recording at two high of a volume. If you talking about what I am thinking you are talking about.

But it really sounds like your buffer is to low and your CPU can't handle it.
Quote by MuffinBrain
Speaker or headphones, get crackles on both

If you're running from the speaker out of your amp, you could completely fry the input of your Lexicon.

Mind you, if you have fried the input, that might be your problem...

How many inputs does it have? Can you try another input?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.