I have a Fender Squire and the truss rod head is stripped (the part where you put the wrench in to adjust the truss rod) and the neck is bowing and I can't fix it.. Is there anyway I can re-thread the head to make it work or anything?
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Well, there is this thing... http://stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Truss_rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html

There might be a cheaper version/alternative too, but that's one method.

Since it's just a strat (and a Squier at that, no offense) buying a new neck might be an affordable option.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'm not 100% sure but a Strat replacement neck may not be right for a Squire.
Moving on.....
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Well, there is this thing... http://stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Truss_rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html

There might be a cheaper version/alternative too, but that's one method.

Since it's just a strat (and a Squier at that, no offense) buying a new neck might be an affordable option.

Lol non taken. This isn't my main guitar it was just my first guitar that my dad bought me and so there is a lot of sentimental value which is why I want to get it up and running again.

But I did see that tool from stewmac but thats just way to expensive. I was hoping someone knew of a cheaper method
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
It's cheaper to buy another Squier
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
You're talking about where the Alan Wrench fits into the end of the rod at the head stock...

probably a metric size... try an SAE size.. might be just the right size unless it's just round...

Never mind.. gotta read the whole thing I guess..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Oct 24, 2011,
Quote by Papabear505
You're talking about where the Alan Wrench fits into the end of the rod at the head stock...

probably a metric size... try an SAE size.. might be just the right size unless it's just round...

Yes that part. Is that part of the trussrod just a replaceable bolt basically?

And its just round.. I did find something called the gripper on stewmac that might work but I dont know for sure...
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Quote by ultimate-rocker
Yes that part. Is that part of the trussrod just a replaceable bolt basically?

And its just round.. I did find something called the gripper on stewmac that might work but I dont know for sure...

from what I've been able to read, yes.. that's the trussrod nut... Fender sells replacements.. if you can get the old one out.. and as long as the threads are ok...

https://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part/418/Bullet_Truss_Rod_Nut.htm
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
So I got the replacement nut and installed it just fine and everything. But the truss rod isn't really adjusting the neck at all. There is quite a bit of bow to the neck and no matter how much I tighten the truss rod in wont take away the bow. I've let it sit over night but there wasn't much of a difference in the morning. Any thoughts on whats going on and how to fix that?
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Quote by ultimate-rocker
So I got the replacement nut and installed it just fine and everything. But the truss rod isn't really adjusting the neck at all. There is quite a bit of bow to the neck and no matter how much I tighten the truss rod in wont take away the bow. I've let it sit over night but there wasn't much of a difference in the morning. Any thoughts on whats going on and how to fix that?

Petrol and matches?

I take it you have the strings slackened off? Does the neck go flat if you remove the strings or slacken them off altogether?
No the strings are on there and tuned up. But when I slackened the strings it didn't make a difference.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Slacken the strings fully then adjust it, do it a quarter turn at a time and let it sit for a while between turns. You might find it needs a few more turns than what you've done but you risk damaging it if you leave the strings tuned up.
Ok so for bigger adjustments its better to slacken the strings but when its pretty much set and doing little adjustments its ok to leave the strings tight?
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
The techs don't recommend it, maybe that's what happened to the original truss rod but I've been known to do small tweaks with the guitar in tune and haven't had an issue yet. I do accept full responsability for my guitar though and if it does go tits up it's my fault.
Well I haven't been able to ever really adjust it because the nut has been stripped and just now are fixing it. And I have never had to do this big of an adjustment on a truss rod before.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
if you cant adjust the neck using the truss rod,
then put a lighter gauge of string on the guitar.

like said, let the neck relax naturally.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yea I did go with a lighter gauge and i'm going to let it sit for a while
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Have you measured the bow in the neck? You're sure it's not just string height?

Not saying you're daft but thought I'd check just in case.
No it was really obviously bowed lol. And I checked with a ruler but I don't remember what it measured. How long should I leave it brfore tuning the strings back up? Its getting straighter little by little..
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
I'd leave it a good few hours anyway, the neck should go basically flat without tension on it. Once it's settled I'd then adjust the trust rod a bit to make sure it's tight enough then tune it up and see how it goes.
Well I left it for two days and it was pretty straight. But as soon as I tuned up the strings the neck just went back to where it was before. When I capoed the 1st fret and held down the 15th fret, there was a 1/32 gap at the 6th fret and the action is insanely high... Any ideas on whats going on here?
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
That doesn't sound to bad, what's the overall string height at the 12th fret on the low E?
5/32 lol. And the action at my bridge is set about as low as it will go
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
bolt on
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
In that case you might need to take the neck off and use a shim at the back of it, right in close to the body where the very heel of the neck sits, they do that on strats sometimes as well as other bolt ons to get the action down. How high was it sitting with the lighter strings? Can you remember?

http://www.chicagoluthiers.com/From%20old%20web/Neck%20Set1.html
Last edited by Twidler at Oct 31, 2011,
Wow that looks like the way to go haha. The lighter strings were just right above the 5/32 line on my ruler.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Well it sounds like you could lose a little of the bow using the truss rod but it isn't seriously high so this is another option. Make sure to use a really tight fitting screw driver or you will damage the heads and also slacken all the strings.
I've tried a couple different thickness's of shims now and i'm starting to narrow it down. But its doing the trick.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Alright so now i've got it down to just a hair over 3/32 all the way across with a tiny bit of fret buzz but nothing major. Thanks!
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Quote by ultimate-rocker
Alright so now i've got it down to just a hair over 3/32 all the way across with a tiny bit of fret buzz but nothing major. Thanks!

Cool