So, I use garage band and a nice saffire audio interface. I we have two really nice guitars, and all the default guitar sounds and drumsets. I have two questions, both pertaining specifically to Garage Band. First off:

Getting guitars to play nice
So Garage Band has a lot of nice sounds, but how do I put two guitars together and have them sound good and not conflicting? (Or too in-sync and sounding like one guitar.) I've been using the default Grunge and like it a lot, but what (and how) can I get it to sound good with another part?

and:

Midi Drumset is mixed up
Basically, hitting a certain cymbal makes a low tom sound or something, and the hihat pedal does nothing other then make the clicking noise of a hihat closing (as opposed to make the hihat pad sound closed, too.)

Thanks! If you have any questions I'll be more then happy to clarify.
I can't help with the drums, but for the guitars, playing different things on each would be best. And pan them apart from each other a bit. Also, use different effects and EQ.
Quote by White Life
So, I use garage band and a nice saffire audio interface. I we have two really nice guitars, and all the default guitar sounds and drumsets. I have two questions, both pertaining specifically to Garage Band. First off:

Getting guitars to play nice
So Garage Band has a lot of nice sounds, but how do I put two guitars together and have them sound good and not conflicting? (Or too in-sync and sounding like one guitar.) I've been using the default Grunge and like it a lot, but what (and how) can I get it to sound good with another part?

and:

Midi Drumset is mixed up
Basically, hitting a certain cymbal makes a low tom sound or something, and the hihat pedal does nothing other then make the clicking noise of a hihat closing (as opposed to make the hihat pad sound closed, too.)

Thanks! If you have any questions I'll be more then happy to clarify.

Get a sampler VST and link the MIDI drums to different samples. Through normal MIDI assignments.

In garage band if your talking about looping I have no idea you on your own there. If your recording your own. You need to pan guitar opposite of each other, and not use same amp sounds.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 24, 2011,
I didn't even think about panning it.. that'll probably help. Thanks. I have no idea what a sampler VST is or how to use one, so a method going through garageband itself would be great.. :/
Quote by kyle62
You haven't told us what the MIDI drum kit is going INTO!

Saffire pro 24, then through that to my mac.
Quote by White Life
Saffire pro 24, then through that to my mac.

No no, I mean what software?

Most drum software can easily change the mapping of MIDI notes to fit with your kit. Your drum brain may also allow you to change the note mapping.
Guitars - panning and EQ are crucial for getting guitars to sit in the mix. I usually roll off the lows, add (or take away) some mids depending on what I'm going for, take some of the highs out if needed (it usually is with modeling) and notch around 16k to add some air to the track. A good maxim to remember when it comes to EQ: take some away for a better sound, add some to change the sound. For panning: if I'm only using two rhythm tracks, I just pan one at 50L and one at 50R and then pan leads appropriately (except solos, those go dead center)

As for the drums.. Can't really help you there. Sounds like more of a gear problem.
Awesome, thanks for the replies I'm using Garage Band.. did I not say that? Oops..