http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1279988/Artificial-life-created-Craig-Venter--wipe-humanity.html

I know this is pretty old, but I was wondering whether anyone knew anything more about it, and whether you think it's right to do or not.

I personally think it's a fantastic idea. With more research it'd be a huge breakthrough for medicine.

P.S. Ignore the fact that the article's from the daily mail. It's the content that I'm bringing up for debate.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt the term "artificial life" to be somewhat of an oxymoron.
I mean, what it refers to is cool to create, and only fundamentalists would really get annoyed over it...there's no real moral issues.
The article may have just really oversimplified it, but this doesn't sound like anything particularly inovative
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Thank god we'll all be dead and forgotten once nuclear and technological warfare arises.
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
"But could it wipe out humanity?" Great way to hook the morons.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Craig Venter is one of the greatest scientific minds alive right now. I strongly encourage anyone with an interest in biology to look into the numerous other things he has accomplished and what he's currently working on.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt the term "artificial life" to be somewhat of an oxymoron.
I mean, what it refers to is cool to create, and only fundamentalists would really get annoyed over it...there's no real moral issues.

The moral issue is only speculation, the same as was the splitting of an atom back when the first A bomb was built. No one knows exactly what will happen, but they know it can very well be devastating and if it's actually worth it.

Most people don't realize the toll atomic radiation took on lives and environments, but it happened. Back then people were ignorant of such things. It's just one example of an unforseen consequence of a technology that no one completely understands being used.

I'm all for artificial life.