Poll: What bass to get?
Poll Options
View poll results: What bass to get?
Local new SR505 (support your local store!)
3 15%
Wait for local used
2 10%
SR705 from the internet
7 35%
Fender, noob.
8 40%
Voters: 20.
Hey guys, shopping poll time.

I'me looking to upgrade/switch things up, and I really liked the feel of a SR505 I found in a local music store. However, I found that the same bass is $100USD cheaper on the internet, and a used 705 for the same price as the new one is locally. So, as you can see, options. Give me your opinion. Yes, I do want and am ready for 5 strings.

SR505 local = $650
SR705 used internet = $650 aprox
Other local used are variable, I haven't found any yet.
Fender, noob = Priceless.

Editskii--Now with wall of text!

I play blues, funk/soul, rock, christian contemporary in church and a smattering of whatever else I feel like. But it's more of a pricing/quality question, I am pretty sure I want a 5 string Ibanez, since they feel really good and also achievable in price in the next 4 months. A MM Bongo or Stingray $$ feel jsut as good if not a little better to me (for example), but $1000-$1600 is not something I can justify in the next 2-3 years.

I'm a poor university student with a near-minimum wage job and parents that may or may not decide to contribute. You'd probably classify me as a slightly talented hobbyist. Just to orient you.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Last edited by samskii at Oct 24, 2011,
how about telling us styles you play?
and if you gig?
you know, stuff to orient us?

Sorry if i'm annoying, i don't intend to.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka, why u no stop being annoying?

Really, I'm sorry. Trying to avoid walls of text. I've given up on that dream. Look at the top.

You can see what I'm playing with right now in my signature, and it has worked pretty well. I'm finding a rather large number of situations where I would like to have the option to walk down or play a passing note below low E. I love my Schecter, and it's one of the prettiest basses I've seen for the price.
I have:

Telling the price of each might be helpful in deciding for you.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I really need to go back and learn how to internet... First post edited to include requested info.
I have:

I've seen Bongos go as low as $800 USD...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Are you saying that I should just wait a little longer and get that? I've personally never seen such a deal in my area, and it's 150 above my budget at that. There's always a "just save a little longer and get the next beat thing". I'm trying to set a limit on that.
I have:

Quote by samskii
There's always a "just save a little longer and get the next beat thing". I'm trying to set a limit on that.

But you also shouldn't settle just because it'll take less time to save for a less expensive bass. If you really like and want the Ibanez, and it would fulfill your needs, then by all means go for it. Go for the used 705 too as long as it's in good condition, you'd be getting more bass for your buck.

On the other hand, if what you really want is a Stingray or Bongo (or something else), save your pennies a little longer and look for a good deal, settling on one of the Ibby's will just put you $650 further away from what you're really looking for. If you're patient and keep an eye on classifieds and the 'bay you could score either of those for under $1000.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
E, Tostitos, you both make good points. As for EBMMs, I think they are probably an objectively superior product, but they don't feel as good to me. That goes along with the fact that they are also more expensive.

Sidenote: I apologize for each post needing to be a clarificatkion of my last one. I don't intend to be deceptive or unclear.
I have:

Quote by consecutive e
I've seen Bongos go as low as $800 USD...

OMG WHERE!!!

Back to reality. I actually got a Fretless Stingray for 900 USD. While I like the 705 as a bass, I really want to concur with "save the cash". If you have a usable bass now, then its worth the wait. But if you have your heart settled on an SR, go for the 705 over the 505 IMH "Ibby loving" O.
We just need Delirium in here and I'll have the whole bass forum set. Everyone keeps thinking that I want a Stingray or Bongo. I want them in a GAS sort of way, but what I felt when I held that Ibby...and I've been playing American Special Fenders and even a Drake 'Wilma' SHB (which was super sexy). I'll find some Schecter 5ers and try them too, since I love the one I have. You guys are really bad at choosing from set options, no? Now you've got me thinking about everything else too. It used to be simple...
I have:

Quote by anarkee
OMG WHERE!!!

US eBay. The same time I bought my 5 HS for $920 there was a 4 HH on there for $800 BIN. The EBMM forums would be worth keeping an eye on too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
My local store wants $1800 for the Stingray $$ and $1600 for the Stealth Bongo $$. You may be saying save a little longer, but it's not going to make sense for me to spend that much on a bass for a long time. I'm not making a living playing, and I don't think I will. And those half-priced basses are a rare and possibly questionable find. Not to say you can't get lucky, but if a Chevy Corvette is going for $2000, it's probably not got a working engine in it.

Also, here is that Semi-hollowbody.

http://www.drakecustombass.com/wilma-061711
I have:

Last edited by samskii at Oct 25, 2011,
Those deals aren't as hard to find as you think. With the economy how it is A lot of people know they're not going to get the "true" value of whatever they're selling.

You sound like you're set on the 705 anyway, so why ask us?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Personally, I've never had any trouble when buying an instrument off the internet the only thing you might have to do is get it set up. That being said, 100$ less seems like a deal but is that including delivery? That's where websites stiff ya.
Quote by consecutive e
Those deals aren't as hard to find as you think. With the economy how it is A lot of people know they're not going to get the "true" value of whatever they're selling.

True, but it is if for my parents who don't know about guitars and whom I might get to buy for me for Christmas.

You sound like you're set on the 705 anyway, so why ask us?

So you guys feel involved.

Truly, I think you are not remembering what the original question was. It boiled down to: is the upgrade between a 505 and a 705 worth buying a used bass from the internet without being able to inspect it, or should I get the new, lower tier version (or wait for a used one that I can play and check out.) "Fender, noob" was an option for laughs.

I am fairly set on it, but it's going to be a while. Last time I was getting a bass, I was set on the Fender Vintage Modified Jazz. After shopping around and playing many more instruments, I walked out with a Schecter. So just because I argue against your suggestions doesn't mean I'm not considering them, or that I won't end up agreeing with you in the end.

Furious, you make a good point; however, the sites I was looking at were GC . com and Musiciansfriend. They both do free shipping on anything near amp or instrument cost.
I have:

With places like GC you can have one delivered to the store and try it, and say never mind and return it no questions asked for 30 days. even if the store isn't near you, just pay shipping back.