I've think I once heard about some kind of shred amps. Someone said it was almost the amp which make you shred.

How important is your amp when you are shredding? And do you know about any shred amps? (heavy metal is my main genre).

Not sure if I'm going to buy one (that's why I didn't listen up budget and etc...)
diezel vh4 is good at shreds.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
"Shred" is a playing and music style, not a style of amplifiers.

Some amplifiers have been used more than others for "shred".

(shred is a weird word, just look at it)
Amp is where the sound comes from, so you'd think it'd be important to the whole playing part no?

It's like asking how important is an amp for playing blues or jazz or rock and prog or metal. Without one you wouldn't be able to do it. So I guess they're important?

Also shouldn't a metal pro know these things already?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Amp is where the sound comes from, so you'd think it'd be important to the whole playing part no?

It's like asking how important is an amp for playing blues or jazz or rock and prog or metal. Without one you wouldn't be able to do it. So I guess they're important?

Also shouldn't a metal pro know these things already?

Yes, I'm a metal pro but can't mention all amp series in the world anyway. Sorry ;P
Quote by Sputnik1
"Shred" is a playing and music style, not a style of amplifiers.

Some amplifiers have been used more than others for "shred".

(shred is a weird word, just look at it)

Disagree. What about "shred guitar" amps then?
An amp doesn't define your technique, therefore cannot make you "shred". Your ability to shred exists in your right hand.

Now if you are looking for a good amp for shred metal, a Soldano SLO would be great if you can afford it ($4000), or a Carvin Legacy or X100b for a shitload cheaper. Anything with a good smooth distortion.
Quote by Metal-pro

ok lets try this again. there is no "shred" amp just amps that are good for that style just like any other.
the amp should have a nice distortion tone but not be overly distorted. it should facilitate the clarity of the notes being played as hearing them distinctly is very important. that is what makes for a good shred amp.

any medium gain amp should do reasonably well for this. back in the day a marshall jcm 800 was a fav as well as the carvin that steve vai used (x100b i think). the joe satriani peavey is a good one as well.
Any "metal" head can do shred.

Shred is just a style of playing/technique
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
you generally just want a fair bit of gain, a fair bit of compression, and clarity/tightness. A lot of amps will do that, more or less (and even more will with a ts-style od as a boost).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This thread makes my brain hurt. Any amp with a smoothe overdrive will be suitable for playing shred guitar... Not sure I understand where you're getting the idea that there are specific amps made for it. I mean I guess you could say that some amps do it so well, it seems like they were made for shredding, but that's just how some amps sound.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Metal-pro

You keep mentioning these "shred" guitar amps and can't seem to tell me a single one.
GTFO troll.
Its already marked for deletion too

Good thing I never donate to those tools...
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Carvin Legacy
Carvin X100b
Peavey XXX
Peavey JSX

All amps that are good for "shred guitar."
Any amp with mid-high gain (JCM800-ish or more), smooth distortion (as opposed to rough or grainy) and a tight sounding low end will be suitable for shred.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Carvin Legacy
Carvin X100b
Peavey XXX
Peavey JSX

All amps that are good for "shred guitar."
Any amp with mid-high gain (JCM800-ish or more), smooth distortion (as opposed to rough or grainy) and a tight sounding low end will be suitable for shred.

+1, these are popular. I'll also add the Peavey 3120 (which is the XXX anyway), the Fryette/VHT Sig:X and the Splawn Nitro,
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The word shred has now lost all meaning for me...
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!