Hello,
I have several guitars and each one is tuned differently. I use all of them too. I have one in open D minor, one in standard/drop D, one in drop C, and one in drop B. I would like one more guitar for drop A. Now I know you can do that with a standard 7 string and just tune the lowest down but what are peoples preference on this? I have played a 7 string before and I like the low tone but it took me a while to get used to the neck. However, I still want the high range.

What are your thoughts? Should I get a 6 string and just drop it all the way down or get a 7 and drop the lowest one and keep my range?

Thanks for your help
Personally, the 7's I've tried all felt very odd and took a long time to get my head around having an extra string .

If you're comfortable with the 7's neck and the extra string I see no reason why you wouldn't go for one.

I tune my 6 string guitars to Drop A# and Drop G and get told all the time that it is ridiculous for a 6 string guitar. But in reality most 7 strings are 25.5" scale guitars anyway, so that argument is a little pointless. All about personal preference when it comes to guitar, I guess.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
I don't see why not
It shouldn't take too long getting used to the new neck, but hey, If i was you, i'd invest in a 7 as it'd be easier for drop a etc.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I thought 7 string was the greatest thing ever for a while, until I realized I'm just not good enough to make use of the extended range. It's cool to have one though, for low tunings and whatnot, but I prefer 6 strings at the moment.
If you wan't to be able to play in drop A but still be able to play songs in E standard, get a 7 string. It will take some getting used to. If you don't think you will miss your high e string, just get another 6 string. But if you're really considering a 7 string, the real guestion is 7 or 8 strings.

Just kidding, 8 is a little too much. The next guitar I hope get will be my first 7 string.
I'd say eight.

But if you don't want to make that jump, I'd go with a seven. More range, and if you tune it to drop A you still have a standard six-string tuning.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I hate the huge necks on any guitar with more than 6 strings. It doesn't look like a real guitar anymore...
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
I hate the huge necks on any guitar with more than 6 strings. It doesn't look like a real guitar anymore...

you do realize that some 6 string have a 1 7/8" neck width (same as most 7s) at the nut, right?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 25, 2011,
I had a 7 for awhile, it was fun but I like my 6s better. The way I play it just didn't sound how I wanted. And I never even think about touching my high e. So if you use it, you might want to go 7. I'll be another to say they do take awhile to get used to though.
*insert witty statement here*