Hey guys! 1st post hehe.

anyway ive had a problem these past few months with my Epiphone Zakk Wylde Camo Les Paul. ive had this guitar for 4 years now, and no problems have shown, except for this one.

recently ive been changing tunings and all from standard to DADGAD to drop D and i noticed a big problem with my low E string. once i drop the string to a D, my floor tuner says its perfectly tuned, however when i try playing songs (especially on clean) the tuner shows that im going sharp. for example if im going to play an open D, its perfect, but when i pluck a G at the 5th fret (drop d), the tuner shows im way off tune. it becomes very sharp, and the strange thing is, its only happening in the low E string.

help!
Quote by mcamp1230
You need to have the guitars intonation set, take it to a guitar tech.

f it was the intonation I think it would be showing that a note was out of tune in standard tuning as well and not just in Drop D.
Quote by Darkdevil725
f it was the intonation I think it would be showing that a note was out of tune in standard tuning as well and not just in Drop D.

i agree with this. any insights?
Well, when you have the guitar in one tuning for 4 years, then change it up, things are bound to shift. Tune it to drop-D and set the intonation again, then come back and tell us if the problem persists. It can't hurt, can it?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Well, when you have the guitar in one tuning for 4 years, then change it up, things are bound to shift. Tune it to drop-D and set the intonation again, then come back and tell us if the problem persists. It can't hurt, can it?

sounds good! ill try that. but if anyone else has suggestions, id be glad to hear them.

thanks!
It's one of two things. The most likely is intonation. The other option is that the frets, nut or bridge saddle has worn down, although that would be more likely to cause notes to go flat when fretted and you'd be able to see it very clearly.

The low E string is always the most sensitive to tunings and bad intonation.
String tension changes when you tune to a different pitch. That in turn can change the relief on your neck. If you tune down the relief will become less. Since you're not complaining of buzzing, I'll have to asssume the relief was quite a bit in standard tuning. Now less relief brings the strings closer to the fretboard in the mid region before fretting and also slightly increases the length of the fretboard (picture a curved line vs a straight or straighter line formed from a length of string the same length). This will affect your intonation, it's probably off on all strings but you're noticing it more on the Low E.
Moving on.....
how hard are you pressing down on the string?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
how hard are you pressing down on the string?

+1 but i would like to think that him having the guitar for four years means playing four years or longer, he would have eliminated that from his technique a long time ago. its genrally beginners who push way too hard on the frets and raise pitch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
actually i do have a problem with the "how hard do you press your strings" part. i really run on gauge 11 strings as a standard. recently ive been on 10's and right now im on 9's. the thing is, no matter what gauge, the problem is the same. i just noticed that it becomes sharper and sharper every time i go a gauge lower. now with the "how hard" part, i notice that i do press it hard, but that shouldnt be an issue, unless my frets are popping out...
it can make a difference depending on your fret size. If you're rocking some jumbo frets there's a lot more space between the crown of the fret and the fretboard, so if you push too hard you can go a little sharp. And thinner strings are easier to "over fret" than thicker, so that could explain why it gets worse as string gauge decreases. Especially if you're used to 11's, and have dropped down to 9's
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes