Even though I can fly up and down the neck and play every song at my first attempt.
Yes I don't practice correctly, right?

Well, I've read Jamie Andreas - Principles of correct practice for guitar.
If I can sum it up: It is about eliminating ALL tension from head to toe and practice so slow that you can be aware of when a muscle tense up right?

Because here is the problem. I have tension in my shoulders that I C A N N O T
get rid off.
I have very long arms. Classical sitting position do not work, standing do not work.
Sitting according to the principles book is just not doing it for me, as far as eliminating tension.

What can I do? I think I need some sort of custom made guitar for my body, seriously.
I get tense no matter what.

English is not my native language, sorry.
Last edited by Hckey# at Oct 25, 2011,
But, I don't sound good you know? I can play everything, no problem. But it just sounds... bad... flat... nasality...
You haven't really defined what your problem is very well. Is it your *tone* you're struggling with? For most of the post you talk about physical problems with playing, after saying you have no problem playing what you want to. What does that have to do with sounding bad?
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Oct 25, 2011,
I guess it's my tone. Believe me, I guess everybody says this, but I've been through almost all guitar gear out there. Diden't really help my problem either.
Quote by Brainpolice2
You haven't really defined what your problem is very well. Is it your *tone* you're struggling with? For most of the post you talk about physical problems with playing, after saying you have no problem playing what you want to. What does that have to do with sounding bad?

What I meant was that if you are tense you will sound bad. Sharp notes, not fluid enough, stressed. It goes without saying that tension is no good.
Well, pretty much every guitar player has the experience of struggling with their tone, especially earlier on. To an extent, this is because people get pretty cheapo equipment when starting out, but they also probably are a bit lost about how to use it as well.

I'm not sure what to suggest because I don't have much to go on. It would help to know what gear you are using, and if there is any particular characteristic of the tone that's coming off bad to you.
Quote by Brainpolice2
Well, pretty much every guitar player has the experience of struggling with their tone, especially earlier on. To an extent, this is because people get pretty cheapo equipment when starting out, but they also probably are a bit lost about how to use it as well.

I'm not sure what to suggest because I don't have much to go on. It would help to know what gear you are using, and if there is any particular characteristic of the tone that's coming off bad to you.

I am one of those people who don't care much for brands.
I've seen a guitar player play on an cheap stratocaster and still sound like a world famous guitarist.
If I'm allowed, I could upload a clip of my playing. Maybe that'll be easier.

I use Guitar Rig 5 software, with behringer ugc102 usb device, guitar is a strat copy almost in the same price range as squier.
I'm not sure what you're expecting then. You're using a computer program as an amp that looks like it's supposed to give you a lot of options, but I have no familiarity with it. I can only imagine that you're not entirely sure how to use it yourself if you have all these options (and virtual knobs to play with) and feel lost with tone. Either that or the amplifier-program technology isn't all that good at producing a natural guitar sound.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Oct 25, 2011,
I also read that book and it is a very good one. You shouldn't get caught in the tension thing to much. It is normal to have some tension when first starting out it will disappear as you progress and get better and comfortable with the technique.

Take my FREE ebook and reach chapter 1 as it covers the mental process of learning things (including the principles of andreas)
Quote by apajr
I also read that book and it is a very good one. You shouldn't get caught in the tension thing to much. It is normal to have some tension when first starting out it will disappear as you progress and get better and comfortable with the technique.

Take my FREE ebook and reach chapter 1 as it covers the mental process of learning things (including the principles of andreas)

I get a "404 - not found" before I register, then I register and active my subscription and click the link and I again get "404 - not found" FYI

EDIT: Nevermind, I could download the .pdf now in the mail. Thanks
Last edited by Hckey# at Oct 25, 2011,
Um, you could also try any one of a number of benzodiazapines. Xanax in particular would loosen you up quite a bit.....

Sorry. I couldn't resist that. I have self control issues...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 25, 2011,
Because here is the problem. I have tension in my shoulders that I C A N N O T
get rid off.
I have very long arms. Classical sitting position do not work, standing do not work.
Sitting according to the principles book is just not doing it for me, as far as eliminating tension.

What can I do? I think I need some sort of custom made guitar for my body, seriously.
I get tense no matter what.

Go see a good teacher and see if they can help.

This is almost definitely a posture issue, although it may not be guitar related - you may just carry a lot of tension in your shoulders. You might want to look into Alexander technique, pilates and yoga, see if you can get your shoulders straightened out and loosened.
You can't possibly expect us to diagnose what's wrong with your tone without listening to you play.

I think you're probably on the wrong track, however, worrying about tension in your shoulders. Obviously, I can't be sure, but it seems to me that worrying about sitting position is more likely to be a problem than a slightly incorrect sitting position.

Can you be more specific about what you don't like about your tone, or, better yet, post a clip of you playing?
Quote by Hckey#
I am one of those people who don't care much for brands.
I've seen a guitar player play on an cheap stratocaster and still sound like a world famous guitarist.
If I'm allowed, I could upload a clip of my playing. Maybe that'll be easier.

I use Guitar Rig 5 software, with behringer ugc102 usb device, guitar is a strat copy almost in the same price range as squier.

Simple: Guitar Rig 5 is awesome, but it wont sound good unless you get a decent par of STUDIO MONITORS connected to your AUDIO INTERFACE.

If youre plugging it directly to your comp with a cheap Usb converted it will suck!
even if it doesnt, you wont get to listen to how it actually sounds without studio monitors
Quote by Hckey#
I get a "404 - not found" before I register, then I register and active my subscription and click the link and I again get "404 - not found" FYI

EDIT: Nevermind, I could download the .pdf now in the mail. Thanks

That's strange, you should try again, i honestly don't know what is the problem

PS: Message me if it still doesn't work