I want to sound like joe satriani and david gilmore . Very melodic how can i practice to sound like that?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Study intervalls. Aim for chord tones. That's about it.

If you solo using chord tones you will use mostly notes that are in the chord, thus it will sound great together with the chord. Thus it will be melodic.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Here is how to practice ear training properly. : http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/ear-training/ear-training-intervals/

From you have to start doing the minor scale and then go to triads and so on.

It also depends on how long have you been playing guitar.

If you are a beginner you should also consider taking my FREE ebook for that matter.

If you want to sound like someone (which is not a good idea in my opinion, you should sound like you, others should be just influences):

- learn songs from them, that is how you will learn to think like they did

- if you know theory you can take their licks and transpose them to different keys modes and it will sound different
Use your ear and imagination to come up with great melodies.

This may require lots of practice, a fair bit of work on your technique, and a fair bit of theory to figure out which notes will work when and where.
I would say working out the tune to songs could help. Could promote a more lyrical way of playing.
Quote by Sickz
Study intervalls. Aim for chord tones. That's about it.

If you solo using chord tones you will use mostly notes that are in the chord, thus it will sound great together with the chord. Thus it will be melodic.

This.

Also work on your vibrato, and don't focus on speed completely, I think.
What I've noticed with Gilmour especially is you just need to use your ear. Play what sounds beautiful as opposed to a structured, formulaic set of notes.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
What I've noticed with Gilmour especially is you just need to use your ear. Play what sounds beautiful as opposed to a structured, formulaic set of notes.

Without meaning to sound like a dick, Gilmour plays some of the most structured solos ever, with note choice about as formulaic as you get.

I mean, it's awesome, but it's structured and formulaic to a tee.