I have a yamaha pacifica 012 and a peavey vypyr 15. The pacifica has an agathis body and HSS config. The stock pickups suck. They're too muddy, and the vypyr doesnt sound that great when I play on the stock humbucker or any other stock pickup. The pickups just suck. So i was thinking of swapping the stock humbucker and putting in an EMG 85' in its place. Will it make a really big difference? There is a video in youtube, this guy modded his EG112C(very similar to the PACIFICA012) with EMGS. And it sounds amazing. I use my guitar for playing Hard Rock and Metal. I need really heavy and high quality distortion right now. I wont be spending any money on a new guitar anytime soon. So will it make any difference? I cant compare my vypyrs distortion and the distortion on the ones in youtube! They all use cool guitars. And dont active pups run on batteries? If so, How do I maintain my guitar? Would I have to screw out the pickguard and then replace the battery? Also are there any better pickups in the same price range?
Thanks guys! Really appreciate any help!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 25, 2011,
I think it'd make quite a difference and would probably be pretty good for metal and hard rock. For the batteries you'd probably want to rout a hole in the back of the guitar for them. Also im pretty sure this would require a bit of changing to the wiring of the guitar ( i dont use actives so im not absolutely sure on all this + im no wiring expert). Before you decide on the EMG, take a look at bare knuckle pickups, theyre a lil more expensive but i've heard brilliant things about them+ i think they only do passives which would probably make this job a lil easier for you Hope this helps a little!
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Quote by MrWilson6
I think it'd make quite a difference and would probably be pretty good for metal and hard rock. For the batteries you'd probably want to rout a hole in the back of the guitar for them. Also im pretty sure this would require a bit of changing to the wiring of the guitar ( i dont use actives so im not absolutely sure on all this + im no wiring expert). Before you decide on the EMG, take a look at bare knuckle pickups, theyre a lil more expensive but i've heard brilliant things about them+ i think they only do passives which would probably make this job a lil easier for you Hope this helps a little!

My guitar has an Agathis body. Will that make a difference?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
And how will I replace the battery?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
My guitar has an Agathis body. Will that make a difference?

The general consensus is that EMG's make all guitars sound the same regardless of their body wood. So the question comes down to do you like the way EMG's sound?

However, a much bigger part of your tone is the amp you're playing through, so consider saving for a new amp instead.
Don't worry about the battery that much since several months might pass before you have to replace it.

You will most likely place it under the puckguard since you will most likely have enough space in there. Another thing is that EMG's are active and i guess the others in your guitar are not so to be able to just replace the bridge pickup while still keeping the others will require a big work on the electronics, i reccomend if your doing that to leave this to an expert on the matter. Unless you change them all for EMG's to which for the money you could just most likely get a better guitar.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
OK thanks. Are Seymour Duncan Passive Pickups any good? And which pickup is better for high gain sounds? Is it possible to create a slot for the battery under my pickguard? And is changing a pickup really complicated? One more question. Will it fit in the humbucker slot on my guitar and pickguard? I'm sure my vypyr will sound a million times better with better pickups. I'm leaning towards duncans as they are passive and easier to install.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Trust me it will def sound better with any pickup upgrade. I would recommend the sh-6 for the bridge, stay with your middle pickup and get a hot rails in the neck, that way you have awesome high gain sound without having to deal with batteries.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
OK so I heard that the type of wood and metal used in the bridge affects the sounds. Is it true? If so, my guitar has an agathis body and im not really sure about the bridge. The SH-6 sounds way better than the EMGs. Seriously. Cheaper too. This way, I wouldnt run into much trouble changing the pickups. Guys Im scared if spending all that money on a pickup will go to waste. What if it sounds the same or worse than the stock pickups? You know something? There is no difference between my bridge PU and my Neck PU! When I play solos, Im supposed to have a thicker and warmer sound with the Neck PU but it sounds just like the humbucker! Anyway Please help me out. I also heard that Duncans are really noisy! Are DiMarzios any good?
All I want is to change my Bridge PU, and get pretty good distortion(I get really muddy and low quality distortion now), And I dont wanna hear a lot of noise coming from the bridge PU. Dont wanna spend a lotta money either.
Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
I'm a bit iffy on running actives through modeling amps, the pickup is designed to drive the preamp hard, which you don't want on a modeler amp. So it might have a negative effect on the amp, or a less desired effect. Idk though.

I'd just go with something that everyone can agree on, SD JB or 59.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'm a bit iffy on running actives through modeling amps, the pickup is designed to drive the preamp hard, which you don't want on a modeler amp. So it might have a negative effect on the amp, or a less desired effect. Idk though.

I'd just go with something that everyone can agree on, SD JB or 59.

Wont an SH-6 sound good? Much brighter and clearer than the SD JB.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, it will.

If you do want EMG's though, I'd recommend the SRO Series, stay away from the HZ series ones.

I think im gonna stick with the SH-6. BTW, is there any possiblity that it could create any unwanted noises or anything? And i hope the distortion will be awesome on the vypyr! Guys are you positive that It'll sound good? Because after buying it theres no turning back. And keep in mind that my guitar is really cheap. Really Cheap. So would the SH-6 work well on my guitar and my vypyr modelling amp?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
I think im gonna stick with the SH-6. BTW, is there any possiblity that it could create any unwanted noises or anything? And i hope the distortion will be awesome on the vypyr! Guys are you positive that It'll sound good? Because after buying it theres no turning back. And keep in mind that my guitar is really cheap. Really Cheap. So would the SH-6 work well on my guitar and my vypyr modelling amp?

Again your tone won't change a lot. In your position I'd learn to EQ the Vypyr towards a more clear/whatever your desired tone is, and buy a better amp later (or a Pod or something if you can't crank an amp).

I know it's tempting to change pickups early on, and it's actually fun to do too, but that Vypyr still forms the major part of your tone, no matter what pickup you use.

Pickup changes give more notable effects when playing through a tube amp too.
Quote by Jyrgen
Again your tone won't change a lot. In your position I'd learn to EQ the Vypyr towards a more clear/whatever your desired tone is, and buy a better amp later (or a Pod or something if you can't crank an amp).

I know it's tempting to change pickups early on, and it's actually fun to do too, but that Vypyr still forms the major part of your tone, no matter what pickup you use.

Pickup changes give more notable effects when playing through a tube amp too.

So the sound wont be better huh? Well that's a bummer. No matter what setting I come up with on the vypyr, it sucks. Although, When I played a Zoom GFX-3 a little while ago through a crappy stranger amp(They Suck more than Marshall MGs), it sounded awesome. I used my same guitar too.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
I'd personally recommend Guitar Fetish pickups for that. I can't see someone justify spending more on pickups than they did on the guitar or the amp.

They aren't Bare Knuckles, but they're definitely an improvement over cheapass, Chinese pickups.

Then I would save the rest of the money for a better amp. As good as the Vypyr is, it's not amazing by any means (especially the 15 watt one- I blame the tiny speaker).

EDIT: That being said, the Vypyr is one of the better small amps I've played. It can sound pretty damn good, you just need to learn how to EQ it to a sweet spot. Don't turn the gain up all the way and don't scoop your mids.

I like to start with everything at 12 o'clock and see what changing each one does at a time. I.E. start by turning bass up all the way, then backing it down until it sounds good. Turn mids up, back off until it sounds good. You may have to adjust the bass, etc. while you do this.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Oct 26, 2011,
How good are DiMarzio Pickups?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Dude we don't get Guitar Fetish's here in India. And im willing to spend a few bucks on a pickup. In india, the vypyr costs 8000 bucks. That's like 150$. And my guitar sucks. The pickups suck really. If changing pickups can really change the sound, Im gonna do it. But i need you guys to tell me whether it will change or not.
EDIT: And no matter how hard I try, I never get the metal distortion the peavey is supposed to give me. 6505 sounds like crunch distortion. Rec is the only good amp right now. I guess ill try to eq it properly. But changing the pickups might help a lot! Also, the guitar plays really bad if it is untuned. When i play open chords with distortion, I get a really bad sound. I heard that if the pickups are good, that wont happen. So please tell me if it will change the sound. Please.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by amithkallupalam
And no matter how hard I try, I never get the metal distortion the peavey is supposed to give me. 6505 sounds like crunch distortion. Rec is the only good amp right now. I guess ill try to eq it properly.

You're playing through a cheap modeller, not an actual 6505. A real 6505/5150 can do metal just fine.

But changing the pickups might help a lot! Also, the guitar plays really bad if it is untuned. When i play open chords with distortion, I get a really bad sound. I heard that if the pickups are good, that wont happen. So please tell me if it will change the sound. Please.

More gain does not necessarily mean better metal tone. Open chords are not going to sound good through high gain. No matter what pickups you get, you're not going to hear much difference through a Vypyr, you're better off saving for a new amp.
I pride myself on my humility.
If you dont have a lot of money I would highly suggest Dragonfire 81 over a EMG 81. They sound nearly the same though in my opinion I think the DFG sounds just a little better. But if you put that in your singlecoils will be useless as you cant use them with the active so might as well take that $100 you were going to spend on 1 pickups and buy the DFG 81-85 set for $80. Then take that $20 buy yourself some picks and some pizza hut cause we all know you can never have enough of either.
http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/product_info.php?cPath=124_128&products_id=376

Heres a comparison video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iL1R92T1Gs
Quote by Darkdevil725
If you dont have a lot of money I would highly suggest Dragonfire 81 over a EMG 81. They sound nearly the same though in my opinion I think the DFG sounds just a little better. But if you put that in your singlecoils will be useless as you cant use them with the active so might as well take that $100 you were going to spend on 1 pickups and buy the DFG 81-85 set for $80. Then take that $20 buy yourself some picks and some pizza hut cause we all know you can never have enough of either.
http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/product_info.php?cPath=124_128&products_id=376

Heres a comparison video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iL1R92T1Gs

Thanks for the reply! But I dont think we get Dragonfire pups here in india. And im planning on getting a passive. The Seymour Duncan SH-6 sounds better than the EMG 85. All I need to know is whether they'll sound good on my guitar. My wood and my bridge's metal. So can you guys please tell me if it will sound good or not? I just need awesome distortion. I could really use that pickup upgrade!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
I'll say it again: you can get a new pickup, but it's not going to make a world of difference through a Vypyr.
I pride myself on my humility.
I would have to say that Agathis is not going to change the characteristics of those pickups very much. Not many people have a good opinion of agathis but overall it does not matter that much. If you knew exactly what you wanted in your tone the agathis could become an issue but when you just want to improve your tone in general the SH-6 will be a really good upgrade. And if you worry about your bridge just block it off and throw some graphtech saddles on there and problem solved.