Hi Guys....
Quick question here...
Im just putting together a Christmas (sorry for using that word this early) wish list.
Im wanting to get a Digitech Jamman Solo pedal....for use at home with my Blackstar amp.
But Ive also considered getting a little Microcube to carry about to use when I'm out and about.I think I will get both but just wondered if you can use the Jamman with the microcube? (I will be just getting the basic Microcube)
Thanks in advance for your help
Cheers
You won't be able to use any of the uCube FX with the Jamman. Any amp has to be clean only (except maybe some reverb), or it must have a loop where the Jamman is placed.
Quote by fly135
You won't be able to use any of the uCube FX with the Jamman. Any amp has to be clean only (except maybe some reverb), or it must have a loop where the Jamman is placed.

Not true. The Jamman will send the reference signal to the amp and the amp will treat it like a guitar signal and apply any and all effects. It just might sound muddy and convoluted when you try to play on top of the recorded signal when both signals hit the amps distortion/effects circuit.
Yes, listen to 667 if you want your sound muddy and convoluted. If you want it to work correctly listen to me.
... and then, again, it might not sound muddy and convoluted and it will be fine for your needs. I used a Jamman with my Cube when I had it - no problems, but I never used the effects. The MicroCube just lived in the R-Fier distortion mode and I had no problems playing over the loopers signal in that capacity (distortion over distortion).
Quote by fly135
Yes, listen to 667 if you want your sound muddy and convoluted. If you want it to work correctly listen to me.

You're wrong. I run a looper into a distorted amp all the time. Sounds great.
Quote by phoenix_crush
You're wrong. I run a looper into a distorted amp all the time. Sounds great.
Based on what I heard in the clips in your profile I have no problem thinking you believe it sounds great.

NorthernRanger, most of the songs in my link are done with a looper. I know what I'm talking about. The looper should go after all distortion and FX. A clean amp should be after the looper. The exception is if you are intentionally trying to get some crappy weird tones.
Yeah, because old clips on my profile are a really good judge. Get off your high horse and quit being an asshole. You're wrong. You do not need a clean amp to use a looper in front.
Quote by fly135
Based on what I heard in the clips in your profile I have no problem thinking you believe it sounds great.

NorthernRanger, most of the songs in my link are done with a looper. I know what I'm talking about. The looper should go after all distortion and FX. A clean amp should be after the looper. The exception is if you are intentionally trying to get some crappy weird tones.

Listen to fly, he's like a "looper master".
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by phoenix_crush
Yeah, because old clips on my profile are a really good judge. Get off your high horse and quit being an asshole. You're wrong. You do not need a clean amp to use a looper in front.
Old clips/no clips... you've got nothing but bad advice.

There's a difference between "need" and "should". You "should" have toilet paper to wipe your ass, but you don't "need" it.
It depends on the amp. Some amps can take it, some can't
Quote by 667
It depends on the amp. Some amps can take it, some can't
It has nothing to do with the amp "taking it". Even a clean guitar amp begins to muddy up slightly with multiple layers. You want the cleanest amp possible after the looper.

Yes... you can put a looper in front of any amp and it will loop. Just like you can record with the worlds worst mic and still get a recording. The point of giving advice is to discern between bad advice and good advice. Anyone who says you can put a looper in front of distortion is giving bad advice.

When I said... you can't use the uCube with FX after a looper I didn't mean literally you couldn't plug it in and make a sound. I meant it would not give desirable results.
Quote by fly135
It has nothing to do with the amp "taking it". Even a clean guitar amp begins to muddy up slightly with multiple layers. You want the cleanest amp possible after the looper.

Yes... you can put a looper in front of any amp and it will loop. Just like you can record with the worlds worst mic and still get a recording. The point of giving advice is to discern between bad advice and good advice. Anyone who says you can put a looper in front of distortion is giving bad advice.

When I said... you can't use the uCube with FX after a looper I didn't mean literally you couldn't plug it in and make a sound. I meant it would not give desirable results.

Nope, wrong again. Just like some amps take pedals better than others, some amps handle layered signals better than other. The speaker has influence on this as well.
If you put the jamman in the looper on a clean channel of the cube with a bit of reverb say, and you decide you want to record a nice clean tone, then have a smooth overdriven overdubbed solo. Well it won't work so well

You see, when all the effects and distortion comes after the jamman, the jamman is only recording you plain ol clean guitar signal, nothing else. So when you do record that clean tone, then play it back without touching anything on the amp, it will sound just fine. However, the minute you decide you need a new tone for the solo and change the settings, the recorded tone will change with the amp settings because all you recorded was a plain signal from the guitar. Now you have that once clean tone is overdrive, and its the exact tone as your solo tone and the delay/reverb will be there causing it to sound like a horses fart.

It works best in the loop because everything is before the jamman, so it will record the overdrive, compressor and delay. Then when you change the amp settings, the tone stays the same as you recorded it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
667, I'm sure fly has a lot more experience with loopers than you do, so I'd listen to him. He knows what he's talking about.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
667, I'm sure fly has a lot more experience with loopers than you do, so I'd listen to him. He knows what he's talking about.

I don't see how anyone can expect to be taken seriously by making a comment like this about someone they've never met or spoken to.

This thread is so full of fail.
Quote by 667
Nope, wrong again. Just like some amps take pedals better than others, some amps handle layered signals better than other. The speaker has influence on this as well.
Are you just going to continue and spout stupid crap? What part of... "you want the cleanest amp you can get after the looper" do you not understand?

I have established my credentials with a whole list of songs I recorded using several different loopers. You've established nothing but your inability to listen to good advice. First you say you can use distortion and fx after a looper, then you change it to the nebulous claim the amp matters. Yeah the amp matters... If it's distorted then it will sound like crap.
Quote by 667
I don't see how anyone can expect to be taken seriously by making a comment like this about someone they've never met or spoken to.
Because he's heard all the songs I've done with a looper. How do you determine if someone knows what they are talking about? You see if they have produced anything that demonstrates a knowledge. What have you got?

Quote by 667
This thread is so full of fail.
Yes... your fail.
You recorded some songs with a looper, that doesn't make you an expert. I've recorded songs with delay- guess I'm an expert on it.
It doesn't mean I'm an expert. It means I have demonstrated some knowledge of using a looper. You haven't and I have. And I can testify that you don't know what you are talking about. Got anything else.

Oh yeah, a lot of my songs have delay too.
Quote by fly135
Because he's heard all the songs I've done with a looper. How do you determine if someone knows what they are talking about? You see if they have produced anything that demonstrates a knowledge. What have you got?

Yes... your fail.

You are the one that said... "You won't be able to use any of the uCube FX with the Jamman. Any amp has to be clean only (except maybe some reverb), or it must have a loop where the Jamman is placed."
This is ill informed and just plain wrong. You started it with the lame info - then a weak recant.

"Looper expert" - I don't think so.
There is nothing ill-informed or wrong about what I said. I provided you additional clarification on that statement. You needed it because your knowledge of loopers is woefully lacking.
Wow.... all this from a simple question!!!
So heres another....
If i save loops on the Jamman....made on my Blackstar.... then use the Jamman with the microcube.... could i play over the loops with reasonable results?
If you play the loops into the uCube with it set to clean you'll be fine. The only general requirement is that Jamman go into a clean amp. If you want any distortion when playing over the loop you'll need a pedal in front of the Jamman.

Edit: I had another idea. You may be able to plug the Jamman into the uCube aux input and then plug the guitar into the uCube. That way the guitar could use the FX and the Jamman would be clean. Basically the Jamman is just a BT player at that point.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 26, 2011,
Fly
That sounds like a good idea.....using the looper as an aux input....
Im buying the Jamman to use at home anyway.... with the cube to be a transportable amp option....so will be getting them anyway for those reasons...
But it sounds like there could be options to use them together.