Hi all, bought a Les Paul Epiphone last week and had to take it back to shop to be set up as It sounded awful. Anyway the guy at the shop did this and it seemed ok but recently the the A string is buzzing on most frets everything else seems fine. just wondering if I could mess with the screw on the bridge to try raise the string away from the frets or would I better taking it back to the shop? I'm a complete novice guitar wise.

Any help would be appreciated.
you can do that, yes. it might throw the intonation off a bit, but only if the guy did a really good job setting it up, which clearly he didn't. you'll probably just have to tune your guitar and it will be fine after.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Sometimes electric guitars buzz a little bit, even when theyve been setup properly - sometimes theres just simply nothing you can do about it, and most of the time you can't hear the fret buzz through the amp anyways.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Sometimes electric guitars buzz a little bit, even when theyve been setup properly - sometimes theres just simply nothing you can do about it, and most of the time you can't hear the fret buzz through the amp anyways.

I can't hear it through the amp but sometimes practice without plugging it in, does it all the way down to the 15th fret. and sounds crap. Only bought it last week and if it can't be sorted I'd rather change it for another that doesn't do it.
Quote by Gazbaz77
I can't hear it through the amp but sometimes practice without plugging it in, does it all the way down to the 15th fret. and sounds crap. Only bought it last week and if it can't be sorted I'd rather change it for another that doesn't do it.

they should get the guitar buzz free through the amp only.

if that's not possible, they should have told you at the shop.

you might have a high fret at the 15th that needs a tap in.

if it buzzes thru the amp.
ask them what they did to set up the guitar.

if not, there's nothing to fix by most standards.
it's meant to be played through an amp.

you could set the action higher, but it'll make the guitar harder to play.
(you would do that by raising the bridge a little)

in the future, all setup questions can be answered in the setup thread.

green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 25, 2011,
I have an epiphone less paul with the same problem. If its the same bridge set up it might not be the string buzzing but the screws that move the 'rests' (sorry i dont know what they're called) on the bridge might be loose. In which case it might be best just to turn it so that its tight. It might mess the tuning a bit but you can retune it.
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
ah I see that you're new here... so I won't be the one to slander you for spam.
Quote by ajondunnfarmer
I have an epiphone less paul with the same problem. If its the same bridge set up it might not be the string buzzing but the screws that move the 'rests' (sorry i dont know what they're called) on the bridge might be loose. In which case it might be best just to turn it so that its tight. It might mess the tuning a bit but you can retune it.

if you turn the screws to move the saddles "rests".

you change the tuning along the board.

to check, you would tune the open string then fret at the 12th
see if it's also in tune there.

in the future, if you have a loose part, you would strum the guitar acoustically,
pressing the bridge, to see if it quiets.

when you find the noisy part, you could wedge sponge, swap the screw,
or use clear polish on the threads to quiet it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011