Hey EG,

I have to give an informative speech this week, so I picked the topic of picking guitars and the differences between them. Since I only have 5-7 minutes to give this speech, what do you think are the points I should focus on? I was planning on going over body woods and pickups, but should I take the time to delve into neck profiles and whatnot?

NOTE: I'm not asking you to write anything for me lol, I'd just like to know what the general consensus is about the most important characteristics.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
how it feels when you play it is definitely a big thing for me. Everything has to come together. I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to all this technical stuff, I just pick a guitar on how it feels and sounds.
Quote by Eddie4President
You are amazing. The fact that you have paramore next to disturbed shows how awesome you are.
Here, an awesome medal. It's made out of awesomnite.
:extends medal:

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
I would give you an awesome metal, but
I can't find any awesomnite.
Budget
"must have" features
features that would be "nice"
Body shape
Comfort
Music style.

I personally think body wood is one of the less important factors especially for a first guitar as any difference in tone is reasonably subtle.
You could use a Strat and Les Paul as examples and talk about what makes them play and sound so much diffferent. Differences in scale length, pickups, wood, radius...
Man, you're going to bore everyone in your class to tears.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
how it feels and how it sounds

go for feel first. the basic feel of the guitar is something that you'll never really be able to change, so you might as well start there. if it feels good, its good.

next, go for sounds. try the clean sounds, try distorted sounds. think about whether the core tone of the guitar is what you're looking for or not. if its not, move on (its too hard to change the basic character of the sound as this is down to materials, construction and over-all builder goals). if the sound is perfect, you're set. if its somewhere in between, meaning you like it but it isn't perfect, consider what it will take to get it just right. if its as simple as swapping out for a better set of pickups, go for it. if it seems to be more than that (pickups and pots, for example), move along

ultimately, nothing about the guitar really matters so long as you like playing it. don't fuss over whether its mahogany or swamp ash because you read somewhere that one is better according to somebody, just play the damn thing and see if you like it!
What would make a more entertaining speech (if this would be allowed), would be to have sound clips and or video clips to illustrate the differences. Or, bring in one or two guitars and demo...

Using a Les Paul and a Strat as the examples makes sense, since they are almost the opposites in most areas, and are both more well-known to non-players.
Thanks for all the input guys, and I am allowed to use youtube videos or clips to show differences. As for this being boring, I don't really care, it's for a grade anyway, and we 'choose' what kinda group we're speaking to.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275