Has anyone ever seen Kevin Smith's movie, "Red State?" I just watched it on Netflix and holy shit, it was not at all what I expected it to be. Kevin Smith really surprised me with that one.

So has anyone here ever seen it? What did you think of it?
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by HaistaPaska92
Isn't he the one who directed the Jay & Silent Bob movies?

Yes, and he also plays Silent Bob (the reason Silent Bob is silent is because Smith didn't want to memorize a bunch of lines). He is awesome.

I'm interested in this movie, I'll have to check it out
Quote by Eddie4President
You are amazing. The fact that you have paramore next to disturbed shows how awesome you are.
Here, an awesome medal. It's made out of awesomnite.
:extends medal:

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
I would give you an awesome metal, but
I can't find any awesomnite.
Just watched the trailer, I really want to see this.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by British Josh
Has anyone ever seen Kevin Smith's movie, "Red State?" I just watched it on Netflix and holy shit, it was not at all what I expected it to be. Kevin Smith really surprised me with that one.

So has anyone here ever seen it? What did you think of it?

1) FYI, there is a film thread.
2) I was kind of disappointed with this movie. I felt it was realistic in its portrayal of the various groups, even in its rather cynical moment. However, I didn't feel the film really did or said much. To the extent that it did, it was rather common sense / centrist political and social rhetoric. This may have been a self limiting aspect of the material, but I think Kevin Smith isn't quite equipped as a director to go beyond what he has.
I mentioned this in the westboro thread the other day. I thought it was kinda funny actually
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Saw it the other day, it was a great film.

Quote by NotFromANUS
1) FYI, there is a film thread.
2) I was kind of disappointed with this movie. I felt it was realistic in its portrayal of the various groups, even in its rather cynical moment. However, I didn't feel the film really did or said much. To the extent that it did, it was rather common sense / centrist political and social rhetoric. This may have been a self limiting aspect of the material, but I think Kevin Smith isn't quite equipped as a director to go beyond what he has.

The shit? The last five minutes or so were brilliant.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
The shit? The last five minutes or so were brilliant.

Humorous? Yes. Accurate? Yes. Brilliant? No.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Humorous? Yes. Accurate? Yes. Brilliant? No.

But dat metaphor, man. Dat metaphor.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
But dat metaphor, man. Dat metaphor.

Bleh! Gargaldy!

...wait. To what specifically are you referring? There's the debriefing scene at the end and then the one guy dancing around in prison who's told to STFU. I mainly saw the latter as an addendum. Assuming you mean the metaphor of the dude telling him to STFU. That is still hilarious, but not particularly profound.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Bleh! Gargaldy!

...wait. To what specifically are you referring? There's the debriefing scene at the end and then the one guy dancing around in prison who's told to STFU. I mainly saw the latter as an addendum. Assuming you mean the metaphor of the dude telling him to STFU. That is still hilarious, but not particularly profound.

No, I'm talking about John Goodman's anecdote about the two dogs.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
No, I'm talking about John Goodman's anecdote about the two dogs.

Oh, OK. I still think that falls under my initial criticism of the film, but thinking back that was probably the most important part of the film.
I watched this when it first showed up on Netflix. I loved it, especially John Goodman's character. I definitely think it's one of Smith's better films, and he should do more in the genre.