Hi Guys,

I have spent the night reading numerous posts on Dean Vendetta XMT. Some say its good, some say its bad because of whammy bar and crappy pick ups.

Well, I am a beginner on a tight budget and I am getting a Dean Vendetta XMT started pack with amp, cable, bag and everything else that I need for just $260. Is it a good deal.? Or should I wait and get more money and buy Epiphone Starter pack which is almost $420.

Please reply with reasons, for better understanding.

Thanks a ton.
-- Saurabh --
They are not quite as bad as some people make them out to be but for the price you can do better. Look through here and see what you like.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html
I suggest getting the Douglas Spad but if you dont mind waiting a little bit for an amp the best thing to get would be a Agile Al-2000. You can just get a USB guitar cable for $20 and use something such as Amplitube 3 wich has a free version or Guitar Rig 4 which is the full version but the trial only lets you use it 30 minutes at a time. Of course there are tons of free guitar fx VST's out there. But if you do get an amp I would say get a Peavey Vypyr 15, it will be ALOT better than the amp that comes with the Epiphone starter pack.

Check your local pawnshop and craigslist though, you can find some pretty nice stuff on there for dirt cheap.
You need $350 to get what I'd recommend, which is basically just what was recommended before me. Get an Agile AL-2000, they're like $285 including shipping and they're solid instruments. With the extra money get an amp. I'd say Vypyr is a good idea, but if you need a crappier amp to start out with then that's okay. Work on your technique for a year or so then buy a better amp. For starting out I think it's better to have a quality instrument than an amp, so you can work on technique and not hide any bad habit through gain or effects. That's just my opinion.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
You need $350 to get what I'd recommend, which is basically just what was recommended before me. Get an Agile AL-2000, they're like $285 including shipping and they're solid instruments. With the extra money get an amp. I'd say Vypyr is a good idea, but if you need a crappier amp to start out with then that's okay. Work on your technique for a year or so then buy a better amp. For starting out I think it's better to have a quality instrument than an amp, so you can work on technique and not hide any bad habit through gain or effects. That's just my opinion.

Well the price changes depending on where you are at. For me it only cost $250 after shipping.
TS is in Singapore. Rondo Music is only a good value for America. When are we going to get this down?

TS, do you have a web site you are going to order from? With that and a budget, we can help you find the best deal.

I used to own the Dean Vendetta XM. It's a pretty terrible guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have seen the other guitars you guys are talking about. But as I live in Singapore the shipping cost is almost $100. Not much is available here otherwise...
-- Saurabh --
I am not ordering from any website. Those cost a ton to ship to here. I am getting from a local dealer here. hence I don't have many choice if I am buying premade packages. And i am still a rookie to create my own package by selecting separately..

Quote by Offworld92
TS is in Singapore. Rondo Music is only a good value for America. When are we going to get this down?

TS, do you have a web site you are going to order from? With that and a budget, we can help you find the best deal.

I used to own the Dean Vendetta XM. It's a pretty terrible guitar.
-- Saurabh --
Last edited by Saurabhsaxena at Oct 26, 2011,
My main concern is the things I read about vendetta XMT. looks like a decent package to me but people say that the whammy bar creates a problem and the hardware starts falling off in sometime...

Views please
-- Saurabh --
What other guitars there are in your budget?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have the dean. It isn't a bad starter. Using the trem will knock it out of tune, and the pickups are kind of noisy, but besides that it isn't a bad starter. Especially for the price.
If in future I want to replace the pickups, the problem will be solved?

If yes, which pickups are best suited? Is it also possible to change the vintage trem to double locking Floyd Rose in future when I want to upgrade..?
-- Saurabh --
No, you cannot convert a vintage trem to a Floyd Rose. Well, you could, but doing that would cost many times more than the cost of the whole guitar. And I wouldn't bother upgrading that Dean, or even getting it at all. It's a really cheap guitar. Mine literally fell apart on me.

I strongly suggest you save up more and get something at least a little better. Can you get anything like an Ibanez RG? Or even an Epiphone Standard? Do you have a used market where you live?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You will have to do some routing to install a floyd and the pickups really depends on what sound you would want. Your best option as I tell everyone with cheap trems would be to just block the trem off.
Quote by Saurabhsaxena
I can get a second hand Warlock bronze or a Washburn lower end model.

skip the warlock the bronze are terrible. washburn has some nice lower end stuff
Quote by monwobobbo
skip the warlock the bronze are terrible. washburn has some nice lower end stuff

Are you saying this out of experience or are you just another person on the bandwagon of hating low end warlocks?

I just got a Warlock Bronze series *metal master* and honestly the neck is really nice, the fretwork is good, and the pickups are a little better than what comes with the Vendetta. The only issue with these cheap warlocks really is just the tuners are crap but thats a cheap easy fix.

Check out the warlock, make sure the neck isnt warped, and play it a little to make sure theres not much fretbuzz, then if you can plug it in and make sure all the electronics work fine. If all of that passes and there is not any real damage to the body or neck then you will be good to go.
They have some used guitars here on ebay. None of the shops that I saw had any used guitars. The used guitars are mainly Craftsman, LTD and Warlock. Is an epiphone SG Special II good..? I can buy that separately and get a Line 6 Low end amp if that work outs well.

Quote by Offworld92
No, you cannot convert a vintage trem to a Floyd Rose. Well, you could, but doing that would cost many times more than the cost of the whole guitar. And I wouldn't bother upgrading that Dean, or even getting it at all. It's a really cheap guitar. Mine literally fell apart on me.

I strongly suggest you save up more and get something at least a little better. Can you get anything like an Ibanez RG? Or even an Epiphone Standard? Do you have a used market where you live?
-- Saurabh --
Meh... it's slightly better than the Vendetta, but still a pretty bad guitar. I know Epiphones are notorious for having shoddy electronics that usually develop problems on their own within a year or two.

What LTD guitars are there? Those are usually good for the money.

Other than that, the Washburn is probably good. Do you know what model it is?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Its an LTD F10, it comes in a pack too. Costs S$ 380 = USD310. with a 30 watt amp from some 65 brand. (which i am sure sucks.)

the washburn is for USD120. I am not sure about the model
-- Saurabh --
Out of those I would say the GRG121 but I think the F10 would be a little better. The nuts on those Gio's have a bad habbit of breaking. Back when I was repairing guitars and often people would ask if I could repair the nuts on there guitars, more often than not there guitar was one of those Gio's. A lot of said it happened when changing strings and usally on one of the E strings. A couple people also had issues with the tremolo bars breaking and getting stuck in the trem of course this could literally happen to any cheap guitars trem, it happened to my first guitar which was a Yamaha EG112C.
So LTD F10 is a good guitar? I am thinking to buy just a headphone amp with it which cost 20 bugs... once i learn and save I can buy a Line 6 Spider.. what do u think..?
-- Saurabh --
None of them are great guitars but I think the F-10 would hold out better for you than the gios. And instead of a Line 6 Spider you should look at Roland Cubes or Peavey Vypyr's. I had a Spider and I can honestly tell you that the Vypyr's and Cubes sound a lot better and the vypyr is a lot more versatile. Vypyr's cost the same as spiders.

If its possible though the at least the F-50 would be ideal.

In my experience ESP delivers better quality at this price range more so than Ibanez does.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Oct 27, 2011,