Well I will use a Peavey PV10 for two guitars,one bass guitar and three vocalists.
Better mics.
Better amps.
Better drums/cymbals.
Better singers.
Outboard gear.
Hire a sound guy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Condenser mics live? Lolnah.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Because they're a lot more fragile than dynamic mics. The thing inside them that gets hit by air (forgot what it's called XD) is a lot more sensitive so it can't take as much of a beating as a dynamic mic. That's why you hardly ever put a condenser on a kick.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by falcon1439
Why not live?

They pick up every little noise, and would prolly start some insane feedback on stage if you have any monitor of any kind near it.

The best way to learn the soundboard is to practice and fiddle with it. It's not something that one of these guys here can just tell you to do, it's completely dependent on the gear you use, the place you're at, the acoustics of the place, and what type of music you are mixing.
Thanks for the help guys . Based on that,anyone recommend a good dynamic mic for between 50-70 quid? If there's a really good mic for 75 obviously I'll try to stretch for it.
Quote by falcon1439
Thanks for the help guys . Based on that,anyone recommend a good dynamic mic for between 50-70 quid? If there's a really good mic for 75 obviously I'll try to stretch for it.

Shure SM58. Get one as cheap as possible, then if you have any money left over, get a cheapish SM58 clone from Thomann as a backup/spare.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by falcon1439

For vocals? I have used a shitty shure pg48 for backing vocals before I think that's like 30 bucks lol

I was forced to buy it after putting a dent in the windscreen when I got pissed during a show and swung my guitar at the mic stand...I know you shouldnt get mad at sound guy but **** that dude... Oh when I was young and dumb...

Edit: I actually had a guy who was recording over a low quality metal instrumental record with that mic about 4 weeks ago. It did its job well.
Last edited by FireHawk at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by falcon1439
Another thing... Does a quality cable make a difference?

well the biggest difference is the sturdiness!

other than that, they wont make your sound magically awesome! somes might shit your quality but if a cable is a fine cable then it won't

as far as I have had experience with cables
Quote by falcon1439
Do you need a pop filter for a dynamic mic?

Not live...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Long answer: Because a pop filer is design to reduce plosives (b and p's) because of the structure of a dynamic mic (it use moving coils) as opposed condenser (electromagnetic plate) means that dynamics are as susceptible as plosives.

Short answer: just cause.
Cable will make a difference. Better insulated cable will be a better signal to noise ratio. DEFINITE +1 on the SM58. Those things can go through anything and still be fine. As far as the rest of your questions go, search youtube for tutorials on live sound and learn to use what you have.
Cables will make some different but not a lot. I mean if it costs a dollar it's going to be shit but you don't need to spend a million dollars on cables. Your better getting pretty good cables and buying a better interfaces and mics.
Quote by Wild Hopkins
Cables will make some different but not a lot. I mean if it costs a dollar it's going to be shit but you don't need to spend a million dollars on cables. Your better getting pretty good cables and buying a better interfaces and mics.

Very much so. When I first started recording I bought a bunch of monster cables. I then not long after tracked on some cheaper cables and there was hardly any difference. If there was any noise added at all it was drowned out by other instruments. With that said I would not ever buy a $3 50ft cable or something like that.
Thanks for the advice So what I should do is buy mid range cables,a shure SM58 and I'll probably get a peavey pv10 mixer,unless anyone knows a better/cheaper alternative.
Quote by FireHawk
cheap live mic = shure sm58

That's what i would call a moderately expensive live mic. Maybe it's different in the states.

Cheap, it doesn't get better than the Samson Q7 . It's about £29 here in the UK and sounds fantastic, little brighter than a '58 and excellent feedback rejection. They're rock solid, heavy solid metal just like a Shure, and have a really nice rubberised coating.

My bass player bought a 58 for £100 and I got a Q7 for £25, first practice we tried em out he decided to get a refund on the Shure and got two Samsons and a new mic stand instead. It's 95% as good as an SM58, for a quarter of the price!

How are you doing the guitars and bass then? If you want them going through the PA, You're going to need another two mics for the guitar amps, and a DI for the bass.

Best bet: tell us exactly what you're looking to do, and your entire budget, and I'm sure you'll get some great advice.
Right here's the whole sherbang

We play metal,rock and that's about it. We have a drummer,two guitarists and a bass player.We have decent amps apart from the other guitarist,who is about to go amp shopping. We'll definitely mic the amps. We probably won't need to mic the drums,about that what's the venue size when you need to mic the drums? Our budget is £1000,around that. We'll have one singer. Our venues will be the pub,school hall etc. If I've missed anything out(which I probably have) please tell me. What's a DI?
]