For the last year my middle finger on my fretting hand seems to be getting worse. I really have to slow the metronome right down to get the finger to hit the fret on the beat and it's the same story doing pull-offs with it. Speed things up (and i'm not even talking fast here) and it just doesn't happen. It just feels awkward.

I had been training my pinky the last year (it's awesome now!) so I just figured that I had neglected it and it needed some attention to get back up to speed. But I've been working on it for months now and it doesn't look to be improving. I'm talking seriously slow work with the metronome here.

Stuff I was able to play years ago I can no longer manage. I picked up my dad's left handed guitar tonight and I can actually do some simple legato stuff on there FASTER and easier.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

This is depressing the crap out of me. The rest of my fingers are perfect, and there's no pain whatsoever. It's purely a loss of control.
Practice more. Suck less.

Seriously though, practice. You need to get some more dexterity in your fingers. just try running 1-2-3-4 and 1-3-2-4 back and forth up and down the neck on every string. That will help with muscle memory and finger strength. Also, since it is mostly the middle finger that is bothering you, try to do exercises that focus on that finger.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I'd appreciate it if you actually read my post before answering to be honest. As I said above, I've been drilling dexterity exercises for months, exercises which 10 years ago I could rip through without issue.
I did read the post. Practice more.

If you are still having problems, then you need to go to a doctor, not a guitar forum.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Well if you're practicing as much as you say you are the only thing I can think of is that you're practicing in an awkward way. Show another experienced guitarist how you are actually positioning your hand when playing the things you are struggling to play to see if they can spot any holes in your technique that you aren't seeing yourself. I had a similar issue when training my pinky up years ago, the way I'd been playing with the other 3 fingers up to then wouldn't marry in with how I'd have to position my hand in order to use the pinky properly so I had to almost re-learn how I played everything. It could be something as simple as pivoting the axis of your wrist by a few degrees to get the results you're after but like I said it's something you'd need to show someone really to see where you're going wrong.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/the-guitar-blueprint-to-success/

Read first 2 chapters you will understand better what is your problem

Also try out these finger exercises :

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/guitar-finger-exercises/