Hey guys i was wondering in your opinion what the best way is too increase sustain on an Sg/Les Paul style guitar. The guitar in particular is an Epi Sg ft upgraded pickups. I really seem to have no sustain when the string is bent so what is your recommendation. Please note its not the pickups and don't say get another guitar i love this one way to much. I was thinking of replacing the bridge. Also i just did a setup on it and was not that either. Thanks.
Fernandez sustainer but it probably costs almost as much as your epi. A compressor? Thicker strings?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I would add a compressor to your pedal board.. but checking the set up wouldn't be a bad Idea either...

Let us know what you did, and how it works...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I've heard of a lot of people wrapping the strings around the tail piece. That seems to increase sustain and help tuning a bit.

Also, upgrading the pickups can help. Some pickups just have more harmonic content to them. Also, lowering the pickups can help sustain.

Regardless, most of your sustain comes from the amp (volume and saturation) more than anything else.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Oct 25, 2011,
because it happens when you bend, it sounds like you're fretting out.

make sure your action isn't super low. super low action, though certainly appropriate for shredding, isn't your friend when you're doing bends. to this end, make sure your nut is properly cut to facilitate a good set-up. most epiphones I've seen have badly cut nuts, and really benefit from a pro set-up where they properly cut the nut (better yet, replace with a graphite one). a poor set-up or inappropriate set-up will absolutely rob your guitar of tone.

compressor/sustainer pedal would help too
Alright like i said pickups up arent the problem i just installed brand new ones that were designed for rock and were great for sustain lol thats one of the reasons i bought them. My setup isnt the problem i got my jackson guitar and i have my notes ring for ever it seems which also means its not my technique either i no how to play. I also tried to raise my action previously which did help a little but no where near where it could be. I've been playing on getting thicker strings so that may help and as for the compressor ill give it a try. Anyone else got any suggestion, do you think getting a new bridge would help out.
Quote by 95thFallout
Alright like i said pickups up arent the problem i just installed brand new ones that were designed for rock and were great for sustain lol thats one of the reasons i bought them. My setup isnt the problem i got my jackson guitar and i have my notes ring for ever it seems which also means its not my technique either i no how to play. I also tried to raise my action previously which did help a little but no where near where it could be. I've been playing on getting thicker strings so that may help and as for the compressor ill give it a try. Anyone else got any suggestion, do you think getting a new bridge would help out.

You said you've fitted new pickups? is the height of the pickup ok? Try adjusting the height of them if not, my be causing a problem.
Nah thats not it i was having the problem b4 and thought it was the pickups but when i put the new ones in there wasnt no change really.
Quote by 95thFallout

the same set-up/technique on two fairly different guitars won't guarantee the same results... check to make sure your frets aren't wearing unevenly. really uneven frets could cause some serious dead spots along the fretboard.

make sure your pickups aren't too high or too low. either could cause you to loose tonnes of sustain.

did you consider your pots when you changed pickups? the best pickups in the world will sound like ass if you use cheap pots and wire with them (think putting a massive engine in a pinto: faster yes, but not any good). cheap pots totally rob your tone of high end. probably not the cause, but a distant possibility
Move the pickups further from the strings. Especially the neck pickup. Raise the bridge/action but keep the stopbar piece of the bridge as low as possible. Make sure you restrung the guitar properly so the strings are coming to the nut from the bottom of the tuner peg, so there's a good angle over the nut.

Don't use a compressor. It doesn't make notes ring out longer it just evens out the volume of your signal. It ****s with th dynamics of your playing.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Oct 25, 2011,
Quote by Darkdevil725

i wouldn't bother with guitar fetish. if you are in a pinch and need a replacement maybe, but i wouldn't consider really any of their stuff an upgrade.

the mass of the tuners has an effect. bridge and tailpiece have an effect.

oh and what model SG?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Compressor/Sustainer pedal from Boss would probably help :-)
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

You could try a heavier bridge and tailpiece, The rectangular Gibson-style bridge adds a fair amount of mass. And you might look into a better nut; perhaps a brass nut.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Pac_man0123
Seriously, people are overlooking the issue here which is the notes are dying out when he bends them... that is not an issue that will be solved with new tuners or a new bridge.

+1 million.

so far this thread is a perfect example of people needing to read the thread content and not just the title.

this is a setup question and has nothing to do with buying replacement hardware, pedals, etc.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I vote operator error not the machine.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
+1 to this being a guitar setup issue

also, brass nut :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by gregs1020
add a little relief to the neck.

notes choking out on a SG is not a new thing.