Page 1 of 2
Hey, I'm finally looking to actually buy a new amp by Christmas. I haven't been able to play a lot of amps yet, but I also have 2 choices to make.

1. To get an amp that is basically just a 1W Head with one volume control, and go with the tones on my Digitech RP355 through that.

2. Or, I could go for a more complex low wattage amp, that I wouldn't always use my pedal for. Something that would give me a good tone for high gain and clean as well.

Which one do you think I will benefit more? And also, which amps should I look into?

I've heard of Blackstar's HT-1HR, and VHT Special 6 Ultra's, those all seem nice for a more complex amp. I have seen a 5W Kustom the Defender Amp locally listed as well for a basic amp.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: my budget is fairly flexible, as I can wait for a better amp and save up, but I think I'm looking at around $300 - $400 used. Throw at me everything you think would sound good, at ill take a look. Remember I'm looking for an amp that can give me a very modern tone.

I have also come to the conclusion that I need an amp with a Master Volume, as well as separate channel volumes.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Oct 27, 2011,
Vox L'il Night Train. You get the head and the cab.

You're set.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
^ +1

Quote by Diesel Weasel

1. To get an amp that is basically just a 1W Head with one volume control, and go with the tones on my Digitech RP355 through that.

Don't do that whatever you do. A Multi-FX won't sound good through a 1 watt amp. Not unless you want a fizzy muddy mess. For something like an RP I would get an SS amp or a higher watt tube amp. I used to run my PR into a 50w Valveking for example. I also currently own a 1 w Blackheart BH1 and a Vypyr 60.

What do you not like about your Vypyr? Are you set on keeping the RP? What is your budget? You've been around awhile, you know how we operate
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 25, 2011,
Quote by Eppicurt
Vox L'il Night Train. You get the head and the cab.

You're set.

Probably your best bet. However...

5 watt tube amps with no master control are not bedroom amps if you want to get tube drive. Its not as loud as 50 watts, but I can still shake the walls.

If you want an amp for cleans, then use a pedal for overdrive etc, then its not too bad, most take pedals really well. The problem is they have very little headroom, so it will color your tone when turned up louder. May be bad or a good thing, depending on your next point. Which brings me to...

If you want a high gain amp, but also want a low wattage amp, you won't find much. There is a reason high gain amps are like 50w too 120w. Its because the headroom. Most metal(most) uses preamp overdrive not power tube saturation, thus you don't need to have it on 12. Loud enough to breathe.

In the end ask yourself, what do you play more? Do you want high gain tones from the amp, or would you rather low gain, classic rock crunch at fairly high volumes, and then use a pedal for your metal tones?

The vox lil night train, is one of the few low gain tube amps that actually have decent high gain tones for a small amp, still headroom is an issue.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Oct 25, 2011,
i'm personally not a huge fan of the ht-1. the tone just doesn't quite do it for me. i own the special 6 ultra and it takes pedals like its nobodies business. granted, I'm a strong believe in individual pedals, i do not know how the multi-fx will sound thru it but if ur happy with the tone from it i don't think you'll have too much trouble. and despite wat people on here say, the special 6 can get pretty brootz with the right pedals. i use a full bore metal and it gets crazy high gain without mud at bedroom to just a bit above bedroom levels.

the only downfall is the headroom. with the cleans it isn't very bad, just roll back the volume on ur guitar. but wen using a distortion pedal through the clean channel at higher volumes, you begin to introduce some natural distortion which adds a lot of mud and interference into the signal
Quote by JoePerry4life

5 watt tube amps with no master control are not bedroom amps if you want to get tube drive. Its not as loud as 50 watts, but I can still shake the walls.

Thought I'd emphasize on that ^^. Keep in mind that 1 watt cranked is way to loud for bedroom use (especially if you're in an apartment). My Vox at 1/4 watt is still way too loud when its cranked.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JoePerry4life

Are your walls made of tissue paper? I've often contemplated replacing the volume knob on my Champ clone with a grid choke so it is always on 10 because It never moves from that position anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the reason i had talked about the Blackstar (or other amps like it), as I had heard it gives you lots of gain at low volume... which is what i want. any other good amps for this?

I really use gain tones a lot more than clean, and would like to be able to achieve that in low volume levels.

Also, the reason I don't like my Vypyr, is because even my Digitech sounds better imo. Eventually I'll replace my digitech with stompboxes, but right now I can't afford that, so yes I'd be keeping my digitech.
The L'il Night Train delivers awesome drive sounds. Much more organic sounding than a HT1.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
If you're going to be using your rp for your main tones, than I'd look at getting a keyboard amp or some studio monitors as long as you won't be using it in a live setting.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
If you only need a clean platform for pedals just about any 5W'er will do.
VHT Classic/Special 6
Champ 600 plugged into a better speaker
Marshall Class 5
Hell, even a Marshall 18W clone will do the deed. They have great Plexi-like cleans if you keep the volume down.

To get good clean sounds out of any of those you just have to not run them at full volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Are your walls made of tissue paper? I've often contemplated replacing the volume knob on my Champ clone with a grid choke so it is always on 10 because It never moves from that position anyway.

Maybe shaking the walls wasn't the best term, but its still far too loud for the bedroom, especially when you want overdrive.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Take a look at the Egnater tweaker or my personal favorite thre Renagade.....my Renagade sounds great at bedroom levels...
About my RP355, for now, it will be working as my main tone, but in the long run, I will be recording, and would want something that gave me better Distortion Tones.

TBH, I really don't care THAT MUCH, about a super organic sound(most especially in distortion tones). Sure, I want a good tone, but I don't need the most organic sounding stuff.

Also, the MAIN TONES I WILL BE TRYING TO ACHIEVE ARE:
1. Bright, modern, mildly distorted sound, a little too much to play an open chord, but not so much so that it sounds like death metal.
2. a warm/bright modern lead tone. Has some gain, enough to be apparent while only playing one string, but also able play an open chord. sounds good with throwing leads into lighter songs.
3. Clean. Just, clean. a little bit of a twang, nice clarity using a bridge pickup, not muddy / lower mid tone.

Thats about it, I kinda forgot about this before. Also, I will hardly ever use a Rectifier sounding distortion, only when im messing around, and for that I dont care if it sounds that good.
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Oct 26, 2011,
Do you like the tones you're getting from it while using headphones?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
So umm... budget? Kinda pissing in the wind unless we know how much money you have to work with. Telling you to run out and buy a Diezel won't help much if you can only afford a second hand valve jr.

From the what you're trying to play, it sounds like a lil night train would work pretty well. It would be well suited for light to moderate overdrive, and at 2W you can get a pretty saturated tone without being TOO awful loud. Not gonna have much clean headroom though, so if cleans are important an AC15, egnater tweaker or regular night train may be a better choice. All three are very nice amps that should give you decent headroom, but still be able to get good tone at bedroom(ish) levels.

EDIT: And all three of the 15W amps above should be an excellent platform for a pedal, should you insist on using the RP for your main tone. But honestly all those amps sound very good on their own. Crank them up for some crunch, roll off the volume knob for cleans. I'm GAS'ing for a 'lil night train pretty hard.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Oct 26, 2011,
Well, I just got a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister head and cab through the post today. Probably a bit too complex for what you want but, it has got zero watt setting. Means you plug just the head into your recording gear and still get the same tone as if it was cranked but there's no noise. Means you can record in the middle of the night with your amp cranked.
ok what i've learned about my experiences for a bedroom apartment amp is this:

Does not matter how many watts just the fact that it HAS to have a master volume on it. I had a 15w pro junior and i couldnt take it past 2 before the neighbors freak, I also bought a blackheart 15h head and extension cab that i can drive the hell out of and keep the volume down and everything is fine even a bh1 (killer ant) would be too loud the bh15h is perfect for me. I've been thinking about getting a blues junior as it has a master vol and i miss the pro junior sound i have a fender champ 600 as well but i cant go past 4 on it without disturbing others.

Do urself a favor get something with a master vol!!! blues junior or handsome devil or tiny terror are PERFECT. I've also looked at the super champ xd another good amp.
Quote by zamanakhan
ok what i've learned about my experiences for a bedroom apartment amp is this:

Does not matter how many watts just the fact that it HAS to have a master volume on it. I had a 15w pro junior and i couldnt take it past 2 before the neighbors freak, I also bought a blackheart 15h head and extension cab that i can drive the hell out of and keep the volume down and everything is fine even a bh1 (killer ant) would be too loud the bh15h is perfect for me. I've been thinking about getting a blues junior as it has a master vol and i miss the pro junior sound i have a fender champ 600 as well but i cant go past 4 on it without disturbing others.

Do urself a favor get something with a master vol!!! blues junior or handsome devil or tiny terror are PERFECT. I've also looked at the super champ xd another good amp.

This guy's right. Master volume is a good thing to have.

And just because both amps are 5 watts, it doesn't mean they'll be the same volume. And 5 watts cranked is still pretty damn loud for bedroom use.
Quote by Cathbard
If you only need a clean platform for pedals just about any 5W'er will do.
VHT Classic/Special 6
Champ 600 plugged into a better speaker
Marshall Class 5
Hell, even a Marshall 18W clone will do the deed. They have great Plexi-like cleans if you keep the volume down.

To get good clean sounds out of any of those you just have to not run them at full volume.

I don't know. Does the Class 5 or the Champ have an effects loop? I still would not want to run a MFX, which was my point, into a low watt amp. mud city
Even though the Epi Vjr doesn't have an FX loop I've found it plenty clean enough for running my FX box at home volume levels.
i dont know about the class 5 but the champ does not have a efects loop, the champ is a one trick pony with a volume and 2 separate inputs. But remember ur guitar has a tone knob as well so its not really needed. I think the class 5 is waaay over priced and you can get a fender champ 600 for less than 600 used at guitar center (i did.) Plus i think the class 5 is waaaay over priced for what it is.

dont go for an EVJ its waaaay too muddy, i had one and sold it a black heart killer ant is much better. The Champ is good on its own and with delay reverb chrous, but performs like a $20 hooker with overdrive and distortion pedals, unless you hook it up to an extension cab. Seriously look around there are great deals to be had, i got my blackheart 15 stack for $250 and the champ for $100, i think the champ is a perfect clean bedroom amp and the blackheart is great for everything else i do. Blues junior or any fender hot rod amp is god as well, so is the super champ. I have a bit of bias for fender amps as i LOVE the chimey clean sound they have.

If you want just clean sounds any amp will be fine, there will be bedroom level cleans on any 1-50w amp but if u want tubey distortion u gotta have a master vol even on a 1-5w amp. Or get the night train, it has a headphone out.
carvin v3m
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
carvin v3m

Yeah I forgot about the V3m... pretty nice head for like $600.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
I've only heard youtube clips, but thought they sounded pretty decent. I heard a lot of people who say the big V3 sucks balls, but then others say you just have to EQ it right and give it some volume

I'm pretty much to the point where I don't even bother with other peoples' reviews anymore. What's a sterile, fizzy mess to one guy may be tonal bliss for me. Just gotta play as many amps as you can. Buy the one that sounds best in your budget.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
i liked it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
You're talking about an FX loop on an amp with a single preamp tube? Are you drunk?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
just to throw this out there, a conservative bedroom volume (around TV volume) is outputting less than 1 watt into a 12" speaker. 5 watter cranked is probably too loud and will get your mother/wife involved. maybe not the neighbor depending on your situation, but definitely your mother, wife, or both.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If a 5W'er is too loud it's time to find a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If a 5W'er is too loud it's time to find a new home.

He's not lying.

Refer to my sig.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
well i got a laney cub 15

15W input for band practise, >1W for home
decent sound...but maybe you want something of higher quality
if your looking towards a low wattage amp in hopes of keeping cost low, dont. find the best deal. high wattage amps have a volume knob. this aint the 50's, u dont need to clip the cleans to get some grit.

look all over ebay and stuff for a great sounding combo, theres a bunch out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Ultra-Tube-series-combo-electric-guiter-amplifier-EUC-/220878824588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d67648c#ht_979wt_1185

also as a side note, im selling my line 6 flextone III for about $350. great amp, SS 75w. dont look at the SS as a drawback, its really amazing. just pm me if ur interested at all, ill be glad to give u some more details
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Cathbard
You're talking about an FX loop on an amp with a single preamp tube? Are you drunk?

Probably

I just don't see low watt tube amps being good platforms for pedals. Especially MFX units - which is what he wants to use.
Alright, well I feel like I need to clear some stuff up

One, my budget is fairly flexible, as I can wait for a better amp and save up, but I think I'm looking at around $300 - $400 used. Throw at me everything you think would sound good, at ill take a look. Remember I'm looking for an amp that can give me a very modern tone.

Also, I have come to the conclusion, that I need an Amp with a MASTER VOLUME, as well as separate channel volumes. (Do you crank the master and drop the channel volume, or crank the channel volume and drop the master for the tube OD?) I would still like a lower wattage amp to cut down on costs, but I have made this decision.
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to buy a second hand Jet City 20H and have it modified to have power scaling. That would take you to about $400. You could also replace the valves and add a depth knob.

Quote by Diesel Weasel
Alright, well I feel like I need to clear some stuff up

One, my budget is fairly flexible, as I can wait for a better amp and save up, but I think I'm looking at around $300 - $400 used. Throw at me everything you think would sound good, at ill take a look. Remember I'm looking for an amp that can give me a very modern tone.

Also, I have come to the conclusion, that I need an Amp with a MASTER VOLUME, as well as separate channel volumes. (Do you crank the master and drop the channel volume, or crank the channel volume and drop the master for the tube OD?) I would still like a lower wattage amp to cut down on costs, but I have made this decision.
Both. Tube distortion comes from the phase inverter valve (that is the first thing you will hear distort), the preamp valves, and finally the poweramp valves. For something like the Jet City, overdriving the poweramp is going to take quite a bit of push, hence the need for power scaling for something so loud.

If you want lower volume distortion, turn the master v. down and increase the preamp/channel volume. If you want clean tones, put the master v. at full and increase the preamp until the right volume setting has been found.
Some that haven't been brought up much (probably because they're so small). But they sound really good!

Zvex Amp: http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

Rock Block Amp: http://surprisesoundlab.com/ssl-23_003.htm

Comparison of the 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvnottwizeE

You can also check out the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18. It has a Red-Box output so you can run it directly to your computer -- no speakers needed!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Probably

I just don't see low watt tube amps being good platforms for pedals. Especially MFX units - which is what he wants to use.

Maybe but if you want to play quiet and just need a clean platform something like a Champ into a nice speaker would work very well. BUT what use is a loop? the preamp isn't going to be distorting on a Champ unless you boost it very hard. If you are using an MFX for your distortion what better clean platform is there than a Fender tube amp? Of course I'd be in there with a soldering iron within 10 minutes of owning a Champ 600 but still ......
If all your distortion is coming from the MFX unit what good is a loop going to do for you? You just stick everything in front of the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ that's cool.

I see your point.

I should not speak to things I have not tried personally. I have not tried a MFX into a Champ. Fenders are notoriously clean so I can see that point of view. I also respect fly135's opinion that his Epi is a good amp for MFX. I like things loud and I've played the Class 5 many times and it did not strike me as an amp I'd want to run MFX into so my logic was biased. I'm guess I'm just stuck on high watt amps or SS amps for MFX.
Page 1 of 2