Companies make humbuckers that are both alnico and ceramic magnets, in one pickup?
I've customized an old Ibanez pickup with alnico poles on one coil and ceramic bars with adjustable screws on the other, although I haven't tried it yet.
I just wonder why I've never seen anything like that done before.
Cusp of Magic
Either:

They do, and you just don't know it.

OR

They don't due to undesirable sound/un-versatility/un-workingness/notabigchange/because.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Companies make humbuckers that are both alnico and ceramic magnets, in one pickup?
I've customized an old Ibanez pickup with alnico poles on one coil and ceramic bars with adjustable screws on the other, although I haven't tried it yet.
I just wonder why I've never seen anything like that done before.

Sounds interesting anyway... Give it a shot.. if it sounds good perhaps you've invented something you can patent...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
^
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the True Duo's are microphonic as shit, which is undesirable.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
^
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the True Duo's are microphonic as shit, which is undesirable.

Its the coils that make pickups microphonic, not the magnets that are used.
I'd say they don't do it because it would be easier/cheaper to just use one type of magnet in a pickup. Unless it gives something worth the extra effort/cost I don't think it would be worth while. And even though it wouldn't be much more effort or cost to do it, in a big compony mass producing pickups the small amount of time extra they could have saved all adds up when they are building thousands of pickups.
Well, I got it installed in my Charvel.
The idea was modified around a neck pickup, with total output of about 9.2K.
It balances better with the neck and middle pickups since they're a little weak due to needing the midboost circuit.
It's got a unique sound, and an emphasized wah sound with the tone rolled back.
It's crunchy and harmonic, kind of van halenish, and in split mode (with the alnico coil) it has a very bell like single coil tone.
Now the next order of business...
I'm planning to put the Dimarzio Megadrive in the bridge position of my Ibanez RG350MZ. (pickup isn't F spaced, but it'll work)
The middle and neck infinity pickups will be stock, but should I swap out the neck inf3 pickup's ceramic magnet for the alnico magnet thats in the inf4 bridge?
I'll also be doing the 50's wiring mod to make better use of the vol and tone controls together, I do not like this linear volume pot.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by chadreed32
^

Ya know when I was growin up we had a word for guys like you..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
this is an interesting idea. Are you talking about cutting a bar magnet in half and making it look like this?
ceramic |-------------|
alnico |-------------|

Then you could probably supe glue it together or whatever you so choose. Using this idea for a custom guitar at home does seem like it might display benefits.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
some companies combine alnico2 and 5 magnets to even out the sound.

i'd imagine using 3 or even 4 types of magnets for a pickup could have VERY desirable results if the time was taken to put the right ones in the right slots, with the correct windings.
Well see what I did was I took an old XH1 Ibanez neck pickup. (which oddly has F spacing)
I took out the ceramic bar magnet.
On one coil, which is the splittable coil because it's a 3 wire pickup, I put alnico pole pieces, and put plastic spacers on each side.
On the other coil, with adjustable allen screws, I put small ceramic bar magnets on each side of it. (like how newer Fender or overseas single coil pickups are made)
Cusp of Magic