hey guys, I have a strange "problem", I quote problem, because Actually it's sort of awesome and I like it

SO, Basically, on the 5th fret, G string (really the Eb I guess, 3rd thinest string, I'm tuned down to C standard ), when I hold the note, it slowly goes to the octave higher the same way one of those sustainers do it, but I'm going straight into the amp

I can do the same with the 4th fret if I just hold it a tad longer, when I bend from 4 to 5, let it go up, I can bring it down, and sounds just like I went up to the octave up notes without making a sound.

So yeah, I'm just wondering why it's doing this, it's not an issue, It's pretty cool actually, but I want to know why, it's nothing to do with it hitting the fret a certain way, I've looked at it, and it doesn't hit the other frets in such a way it could make a strange noise, it's pure note, then fades into that higher note, Any ideas on why?
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 25, 2011,
Can you record and post up some sound clips?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

sounds like a harmonic overtone. i didn't do so good in physics, but basically anytime you have a resonating object, there will be harmonics present (in this case, a higher harmonic).

is the same note as when you play the 5th fret natural harmonic on the string? what about a pinch harmonic?
Yeah I'll get a clip posted in a little bit then.

No it's not the natural harmonic, it's the octave one.

Like, play the 5th fret G string, it fades up into the 17th fret G string. But yeah, clip will be up soon.
ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 26, 2011,
Clip is in the profile now guys.
ಠ_ಠ

That my friend is our old pal feedback! Crank that amp up louder and it will do it for days.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by zeek7pc
That my friend is our old pal feedback! Crank that amp up louder and it will do it for days.

Yeah, but it's only on those notes, and the amp isn't turned up loud at all, it does the same on both of my amps, does it if gain is even at half way, I recorded the clip going directly from my roland cube 30x, no sound being amplified, so it HAS to be from the guitar, right?
ಠ_ಠ

Is your action really really low? With that low tuning involved the string could be "fretting out" so to speak and causing the harmonics that you hear. Kind of like fretting a note and tapping the string. Those strings don't just vibrate back and fourth like one would imagine, they go in circles as well.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by zeek7pc
Is your action really really low? With that low tuning involved the string could be "fretting out" so to speak and causing the harmonics that you hear. Kind of like fretting a note and tapping the string. Those strings don't just vibrate back and fourth like one would imagine, they go in circles as well.

No, it's not, It's actually fairly medium action (I hate fretbuzz, ANY amount drives me mad) I don't have ANY fretbuzz anywhere. I don't think it has to do with the frets because it's not hitting the other frets or anything when I hit the note, even when I bend. It doesn't fret out either, because I can still sustain the note and doesn't die off (other than obviously the note fading, but it doesn't get choked off, Which is why this is so strange to me. It happens when I just hit the note by itself, even if no bending or vibrato is involved.
ಠ_ಠ

sometimes, a certain note on a certain string will react to the guitar and the amp in that manner. I know that with my Schecter that whenever I play on the 10th fret of the b string (A note), it would quickly go into harmonic feedback, but whenever I tried doing the same A note of that octave, it wouldn't feedback like it does on the B string. maybe it's just your guitar reacting to the Ab note on the 3rd string. try playing an Ab everywhere else on the guitar to see if it happens with that note all the time or just that spot.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
sometimes, a certain note on a certain string will react to the guitar and the amp in that manner. I know that with my Schecter that whenever I play on the 10th fret of the b string (A note), it would quickly go into harmonic feedback, but whenever I tried doing the same A note of that octave, it wouldn't feedback like it does on the B string. maybe it's just your guitar reacting to the Ab note on the 3rd string. try playing an Ab everywhere else on the guitar to see if it happens with that note all the time or just that spot.

Yeah it's just that one spot, I can play the same (Real) note anywhere else, it's normal, it's just on that one string that it does that. So it's just a very slim chance and rare occurence that my guitar/tuning/string/amp all just happen resonate a specific certain way to create such an effect?
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Yeah it's just that one spot, I can play the same (Real) note anywhere else, it's normal, it's just on that one string that it does that. So it's just a very slim chance and rare occurence that my guitar/tuning/string/amp all just happen resonate a specific certain way to create such an effect?

yup. there's always that sweet spot on every guitar and it's always different. yours just happens to be on that fret and string.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Ah, alright, cool man, thanks for the help, I've never heard of this before, thanks to everyone else who posted, cheers guys.
ಠ_ಠ