So...I'm just sitting here and then out of nowhere, the head stock of my guitar just snapped off. It's a pretty clean break and there aren't really pieces missing or anything, so I'm wondering is my baby dead?
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
It depends how expensive your guitar was and how much it's going to cost to fix it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Holy god, i feel so sorry for you. not sure if there is anything you can do though :<
It can definitely be fixed. But it might be cheaper to replace the guitar.

If so, then you may have better luck with a more expensive guitar next time.

I've only heard of this happening with sub $200 guitars with headstock joints. Those tend to be lower end Deans, Schecters, and a few others made in the Far East (not Japan, and maybe not Korea).

At least this is the case with electrics; not sure about accoustics.

Even Squiers have one-piece neck/headstocks.
if you have some clamps and some wood glue you can try to fix it yourself, but obviously thats up to you. If it was an expensive guitar, id think twice about doing it myself but for something not worth paying someone possibly a lot of money to fix, id do it myself. Sucks really bad though
Yeah it was a Fender that I paid right around 200 bucks for. I'm about to put up a picture of the damage. I figure it's probably done for, but it's still upsetting.

OPEdit:
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Last edited by offspring_punk at Oct 26, 2011,
Try fixing it yourself. You can't make it any worse. And who knows, you may save her to play another day.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Holy shit, I'm sorry for your loss. If you do want to try and fix it yourself, at the very minimum you're going to have to drill holes into the break and put in some wooden or metal dowels before gluing it together, this definitely isn't something you can just glue back together for obvious reasons.

However, from the looks of it, it isn't a straight break, it's at an angle right? That's going to be a major pain in the ass to drill precisely. If she has serious sentimental value, take her to a good luthier that has a lot of damage repair experience and be prepared to hand over your wallet. You will almost certainly pay more to fix her than you spent to buy her, but if it's worth it to you, go for it.
Also, if you do plan on fixing her eventually, or are going to take your time making up your mind, loosen the truss rod a bit since there's no tension from the strings at the moment.
Yeah, I just took her to have her looked at and the guy told me the break is way too short to really justify trying to fix it. It would cost like 200 bucks at minimum and even then it might not work. I think I might just take off the strings and glue the head back on and just let her sit in my room for decoration. Seems like a good idea to me. Thanks for all your advice you guys.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666
i keep re-reading your post, and i keep seeing that out of nowhere the headstock snapped off. i've never heard of a guitar in its case or a stand suddenly breaking that way. were you holding or playing the guitar? was it leaned against the wall?n if it broke without mistreatment, how long is the manufacturer's warranty for defects, and is there a chance they may replace or repair it free or at lower cost?

Quote by offspring_punk
So...I'm just sitting here and then out of nowhere, the head stock of my guitar just snapped off. It's a pretty clean break and there aren't really pieces missing or anything, so I'm wondering is my baby dead?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Oct 26, 2011,
just glue the headstock on and use it for decoration.... it worked when my cats head fell off out of nowhere.my girlfriend still thinks its addicted to oxycontin and cough syrup so it sleeps alot. she'll clue in after a few months when the litterbox is still clean. (she's blonde...it'll be a while)
Quote by patticake
i keep re-reading your post, and i keep seeing that out of nowhere the headstock snapped off. i've never heard of a guitar in its case or a stand suddenly breaking that way. were you holding or playing the guitar? was it leaned against the wall?n if it broke without mistreatment, how long is the manufacturer's warranty for defects, and is there a chance they may replace or repair it free or at lower cost?

Fender has a lifetime warranty, but it's worthless unless it's an obvious manufacturing problem. It doesn't cover issues with the wood. And it doesn't cover second owners.

BTW, I wouldn't call that a clean break at all.

Is that a Made in Korea Fender? If so, I got one just like it. It's our oldest guitar, but it has the least mileage because once we got electrics we've rarely gone back to the accoustic.
I'm not really sure if it was made in Korea. I know that I only paid around 200 dollars for it, though. The guitar was just leaning up against my desk and then it happened. I really have no explanation for how or why. I take very good care of my guitars, so I'm a little shocked. I really wish I had an explanation for it. It's honestly one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.
Quote by Snuffles

Quote by drop-dead666