I've been trying for a while to trade or sell or part out My jazz bass, it's a left handed body with a right handed neck strung right handed with flats. Last night I decided I'd repaint my backwards pickguard red and cream up the covers about $0.50 in spray paint.

Now I got an offer for $175 cash, but I said I was interested in trades, and a guy's offering me a squier bronco, and a squier short scale jag in trade. Sound good? think I could do better? This gives me two basses to try and probably make ok selling one right?
Attachments:
photo(35).JPG
This is a MIM Fender, yes? That's a $500 bass for a $130 bass and $150 bass. $500>$280. Assuming equal wear, etc. Just on the math, I'd say no. But that does not take into account whether you like the shorties better.

Also, how do you hold that thing? If you play it sitting down, does it rest naturally anywhere?
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
This was my first reaction:

"Two basses for a ass-backwards pile? Sign me up!"

This is my intelligent response:

If it feels like a good trade to you, go for it. I guess it would really depend on the condition of the other two basses he wants to trade, and I don't know what kind of Jazz you have there (or what parts make it). I've always been of the persuasion that "you can never have too many basses", but you also could sell one, as you said. Both basses he's offering are also short-scale, so you'd have to get used to a short scale (not a stretch by any means, but again, preference).
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Oct 26, 2011,
Gray, maybe he has another bass he doesn't tell anyone about? But really, is this your only instrument? Or do you have a go to that you are comfortable with? That would be my issue, until I got used to the different scale I'd want to be able to perform with something else. Same reason I won't consider selling my Schecter to get a five string: I want to have something to fall back on. Plus, it's just so pretty...

What Gray said, if it feels good, go for it.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
Gray, maybe he has another bass he doesn't tell anyone about? But really, is this your only instrument? Or do you have a go to that you are comfortable with? That would be my issue, until I got used to the different scale I'd want to be able to perform with something else. Same reason I won't consider selling my Schecter to get a five string: I want to have something to fall back on. Plus, it's just so pretty...

What Gray said, if it feels good, go for it.

I admit, I made a bit of a snap response, and you do raise some good points. I only guessed that if the OP was even considering trading his bass, he had either a backup or was looking for something new (he notes that he's been trying to get rid of it for a while).

I did mention the condition of the other two basses being offered; as long as they're in pretty decent playable and cosmetic condition, I would personally consider the trade (mostly on the basis of two-for-one, admittedly). Have him bring 'em over and give both a shot. You could fall in love with both, hate both, or like one and consider the other trade bait.

I personally wouldn't consider scale to be a huge issue if he plays in standard or near standard tuning most of the time. If scale feel really is an issue, I again suggest trying the basses out.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Oct 26, 2011,
I play a MIJ mustang, and a franken P bass. I originally had a MIM P, my first bass, then I traded for a fretless jazz which was cool, but didn't fit well when I played with a band, so I traded for a fretted jazz, which was good buy the Nut cut for the A string was shallow. So I took the strings off and the nut just disintegrated. I had an affinity P bass so I just kept playing it, and I had zero $$, and wanted a different color body and nut, and this guy offered the lefty body and a nut free (stupid possibly I know) now I have the mustang and my bastardized affinity P is almost complete so I have that. I've tried for about a year to sell it and couldn't and most anyone offered in $175 and actually not flaked. One guy offered me a trade for a righty body in LPB but he wants a P bass in trade and keeps holding me off as a last resort (he has a right handed body lefty neck, and I told him he'd have a better chance selling a pure left handed bass)

I wanted a bronco and cash, but the jag is cool as well in all black. I'd only maybe tune to D standard. But I'll try the right body guy again