Just got everything in order to set up my first tube based amplifier. Have heard some horror stories so I want to make sure everything is setup right so I don't blow a fuse or anything.

1)I know we are meant to warm up the amp on stand by for 30 seconds to a minute but does that apply to it's first use? Should it be longer for it's first use?

2)Also on the back of the cabinet it has a switch with stereo and mono. I want to play in stereo but am not sure which side to flip it too. Might sound like a silly question but I set up the impedance for stereo for I don't want to accidentally switch it to mono and have it blow up...

I'm guessing in the picture above it is currently set to stereo?

3) Same applies for the power and standby switches

I'm guessing the Standby switch is 'on' which the power is 'off' in the above picture?

4)The way I have it connected now, the two ports in the back of the head(A1 and B1) are both going into the back ports of the cabinet. Is that the right way of setting it up? It does have stereo and mono options but does stereo involve two separate cabinets? There are also A2 and B2 ports in the rear of the head.

5) Any other tips to ensure it has a long healthy life?

Again sorry for the silly questions, I hope I don't get berated here lol. I just paid alot of money for this amp and don't want to see it damaged.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Oct 26, 2011,
Do you have two amp heads or one?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Do you have two amp heads or one?

Just the one. One head and one cabinet.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Umm what type of amp head do you have?

Normally for stereo cab operation you would have 2 heads into the cab.

how do you have it connected?

Just saw your above post. What outputs do you have from your head?
Last edited by R45VT at Oct 26, 2011,
set the cab for mono.

use the 8 ohm tap out of the head, into the input jack of the cab.

edit: and like it says on the cab, use a speaker cable to do so.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by R45VT
Umm what type of amp head do you have?

Normally for stereo cab operation you would have 2 heads into the cab.

how do you have it connected?

Just saw your above post. What outputs do you have from your head?

The head is an ENGL SE E670.

There are A1, A2 and B1, B2 outputs on the rear of the head. Should I just use the A1 output into the cabinet and run it on mono?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by gregs1020
set the cab for mono.

use the 8 ohm tap out of the head, into the input jack of the cab.

edit: and like it says on the cab, use a speaker cable to do so.

Thanks for that. Does it need to be a speaker cable specifically? I have Mogami guitar cables but will buy speaker cables if necessary.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Yes, it has to be a speaker cable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Megadeth09
Thanks for that. Does it need to be a speaker cable specifically? I have Mogami guitar cables but will buy speaker cables if necessary.

it should be a speaker cable, yes. that's why they went through all the trouble to print that on the actual cab.

you can use a guitar cable at low volumes to test things out providing you know that the cable is not shorted, but it's not a good practice to do so over any period of time or at higher volumes. they aren't the same kind of cables.

so yea, buy a speaker cable.
Quote by gregs1020
it should be a speaker cable, yes. that's why they went through all the trouble to print that on the actual cab.

you can use a guitar cable at low volumes to test things out providing you know that the cable is not shorted, but it's not a good practice to do so over any period of time or at higher volumes. they aren't the same kind of cables.

so yea, buy a speaker cable.

I see. Thanks for that.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
If you can solder you can do what I have done for speaker cables for decades. Grab a mains power extension cable, cut it up and solder a phono socket on each end (just cut the third wire off). They make fabulous speaker cables, I use them for every speaker cable from guitar to PA. BUT, only do it if you are good at soldering, if not just buy a speaker cable, they aren't expensive.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
If you can solder you can do what I have done for speaker cables for decades. Grab a mains power extension cable, cut it up and solder a phono socket on each end (just cut the third wire off). They make fabulous speaker cables, I use them for every speaker cable from guitar to PA. BUT, only do it if you are good at soldering, if not just buy a speaker cable, they aren't expensive.

I can't solder so I will purchase speaker cables.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
the ones that cost over $20.
Quote by gregs1020
the ones that cost over $20.

Turns out the Mogami 'guitar' cables I purchased were in fact speaker cables. They look identical to my Mogami guitar cables but the Ebay listing said they are in fact speaker cables and even has 15AWG written on the cable itself. Will the 15AWG suffice for my application?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
The wire gauge doesnt really have much to do with it, they just need to be UNSHIELDED cables. Take the jack off and if its a speaker cable it will look like this

If one of the wires is not insulated (bare metal wrapped around the other wire) then its a guitar cable and should not be used.

Quote by beckyjc
The wire gauge doesnt really have much to do with it, they just need to be UNSHIELDED cables. Take the jack off and if its a speaker cable it will look like this

If one of the wires is not insulated (bare metal wrapped around the other wire) then its a guitar cable and should not be used.

Thanks for that I just found that it does say "speaker cable" on the cable itself, as does the Ebay listing so I should be safe
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by beckyjc
The wire gauge doesnt really have much to do with it, they just need to be UNSHIELDED cables.
This is entirely untrue. The wire gauge is important. The shielding is irrelevant. However speaker cables won't be shielded because it's serves little purpose.
Quote by Megadeth09
Turns out the Mogami 'guitar' cables I purchased were in fact speaker cables. They look identical to my Mogami guitar cables but the Ebay listing said they are in fact speaker cables and even has 15AWG written on the cable itself. Will the 15AWG suffice for my application?

then rock out, you're all set.
Quote by fly135
This is entirely untrue. The wire gauge is important. The shielding is irrelevant. However speaker cables won't be shielded because it's serves little purpose.
It may be true that the shielding is irrelevant but ........ in the real world, speaker cables aren't made that way so if you see it's a shielded cable you can bet money that it is an instrument cable. It is a quick way to tell what you are looking at and a general rule of thumb that will stand you in good stead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Yep, but there are cables that have shielding and larger gauge wire perfectly suitable for a speaker connection. So a more definitive way to determine an instrument cable would be it's coaxial nature.

But in general, if you are cutting open speaker and instrument cables it's highly likely that only the instrument will have a shield.

Last edited by fly135 at Oct 26, 2011,
I didnt mean that gauge totally doesnt matter, of course you dont want a spaghetti string speaker cable, it has to be able to handle the power from the amp. Which a purpose built speaker cable for an amp will anyways.

I was just explaining how to identify them relative to guitar amp applications.

The shielding on an instrument cable is what makes it more likely to crap out as the cable heats up asfaik.
Last edited by beckyjc at Oct 26, 2011,