20dB of compression? That's far too much. Your interface should be silent. Perhaps something else is causing you grief. a hardware conflict?
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
20dB of compression? That's far too much. Your interface should be silent. Perhaps something else is causing you grief. a hardware conflict?

Noise is about -80 DB without any effects, and this is even if nothing is plugged in.

My interface has a nice preamp to it, and I boost it 12'o clock. You can hear the mic but it's still pretty quiet so I add compression. I do this because I don't want to boost the preamp until it's easy to clip the signal.
Yeah its pretty old fashioned to boost the signal until its about to clip. I find where it clips then roll it back until where I think its safe. Running mics a little quieter can really clean up the audio too, especially on a drum kit.

sounded like a digital thing to me, I could hear a slight sampling thing going on where it glitched. Get a multi tracker, they run all by them selves!
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass