Hey guys, I have been playing for two years, and I don't know if it's just me but I feel way behind in the fact that I cannot compose my own solos. Metal/Rock solos in particular. I have no idea what to start learning so as to improve it. I have heard of learning scales and such but there are so many and I plainly do not know where to start. All my friends can come up and play their own solos(they have been playing for 4+ years) And I feel as if I should be able to do so as well. Any help/explanation would be awesome.

Some of my influences are in order:
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet For My Valentine
Children of Bodom
Misfits ( I know they don't solo, but I like their groove)
Iron Maiden (Some of the best solos ever IMHO)

Cheers!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

This will probably come across as a total cop-out answer, but a good teacher might be the best way to get you started with scales and therefore soloing.

Otherwise, try googling something like "how to play pentatonic scales on guitar" (then work up to blues and major scales).
I have a teacher, and I can do basic Minor and major shapes.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by StrykVladzimsky

Thats all you really need dude.

If you can't solo in the Minor pentatonic how are you going to solo in any other scale?
Most of the 'best' sounding Metal & Rock solos are in the Minor pent.

Learning more scales wont help you, but knowing some chord theory will definatly help, if you know what notes are in a chord you can use those chord tones as a basis for a solo.

Learn some solos you like, heck, learn solos you don't like if their easy to play and understand theoretically.
Do You Want To See My Cotton Panties?
Think of a melody in your head and then play it on the guitar. It's that simple. Whether you are able to translate what you hear in your head to the instrument will depend on your experience and ear.

I suggest learning the major and minor scales all over the neck. Learn to harmonise and build chords of them. Only move onto modes once you know these scales like the back your hand.

Also make sure you are training you ear by

A- Listening to music

B- Trying to learn thinfs by ear and not tab

C- Doing regular ear training exercises. ( not as importantg as the other two)

Then learn how to solo over different chords in the progression and how to target chord tones. Brush up on your technique and makes sure you are bending in tune and your vibrato is even and smooth.

It would also be a good idea to learn solos from your influences. Iron Maiden are definitely the most melodic band on your list so it would be a good idea to learn and analyse their solos. Work out what they are doing and why they are doing it.
Quote by StrykVladzimsky

You need to stop thinking about things in terms of shapes, you'll never learn to play anything that way.

You need to start thinking in terms of sounds - what are you hearing? what do you want to hear? what do you want to create yourself? Those are the questions you need to be asking yourself - shapes don't tell you anything other than where to find some notes. If you don't have an idea of what you want to do with those notes, and indeed know really what those" notes" are, eg what they sound like, how they work together melodically and harmonically, what they can be used over etc then merely knowing where to find them isn't really an awful lot of use to you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks guys! It kind of made sense to learn solos. I have a lot of GP tabs of scales that I go through, and well does anyone have a good idea of an Iron Maiden solo to learn? The Trooper I can do half of, and I can tap the solo to Children of The Damned quite well.
Quote by luxeion

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Thanks guys! It kind of made sense to learn solos. I have a lot of GP tabs of scales that I go through, and well does anyone have a good idea of an Iron Maiden solo to learn? The Trooper I can do half of, and I can tap the solo to Children of The Damned quite well.

'Twilight Zone' from their album Killers has an easy solo.

Remember to look at what notes are being played over what chords.
It's good if you can play someones else's solos but a lot better if you can understand them as well.
Do You Want To See My Cotton Panties?
Guitar Backing Tracks

Youtube has 'em, music stores have 'em, the internet is full of 'em...

basically a band in a box... (or in a file) the whole band without the lead guitar part. Start making up your own... use the scales that you know, mix it up, have fun... They have them for some of the popular songs, like this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojWmBGi3-1o
Everything there but the guitar part.

but I like picking one that's not already a Popular song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrYSRoVrVEw&feature=related

for example and come up with your own without any idea of what its "supposed" to sound like.

AND, (a great perk for me) I use headphones so nobody else hears me stinkin' up the joint while I'm trying to work it out.. LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Learn your scales in all their positions.
Learn how to go from one position to the other and incorporate them together.
It's no use just playing the notes. Get your techniques down. Slides, bends, double bends, vibrato etc. Incorporate all them.
To start with, take little snippets of your favourite solos or stuff and play them in the key that you want to improvise with and see where it goes.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Here man i wrote a series of articles conerning these topics you shoud check them out :

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/music-theory/the-pentatonic-scale/

and then this one

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/the-pentatonic-scale-chart/

Also read the articles related to that ( especially the ones about the CAGED system). They will give you a new perspective
Shall do ^^
Quote by luxeion