ok, so ive got a POD X3 and a Peavey KB-1. the Peavey is pretty straight forward in terms of useage (only 2 channels, 2 inputs).

but what i'd like to know is how the POD connects to the Peavey, do i use the left orright outputs or the headphone output on the POD to connect to the input of the Peavey?

ive tried all 3 and when i play my guitar it just sounds tiny and there seems to be no body to the sound, no matter where my EQ is set.

is there an internal setting within the POD so that i can tell it its running into a PA/keyboard amp or is there something else that im not/doing wrong?

ive used headphonhes before with the POD through the headphone output and it sounds fine so im not sure whats going wrong.

any help would be greatly recieved, thanks guys.
Ok, try this:

Guitar cable> pod x3 input
Cable from left output on pod> kb-1 input.

Have you tried that?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Ok, do you know how to set it to "studio direct mode"?
Ok, try this

Press the "outputs" button on the pod, and set the 1/4 outputs to "combo power amp".
Quote by kutless999
Ok, try this

Press the "outputs" button on the pod, and set the 1/4 outputs to "combo power amp".

this makes it sound worse, it sounds best on the studio direct mode, but only as good as i said in my first post
eh?
Go into the high Z left input, set all EQ to noon (on the KB).

Is it a brand new amp? If so, then itll take a week or two for the speakers to get broken in. When I got my KB, I originally had a lot of high end harshness which gradually went away. Itll take a bit more time to break in as compared to a guitar amp as FRFR speakers are usually a lot stiffer. You can speed up the process by going chuggah chuggah at high volume.
Also, what settings are you using on the POD? The KB is essentially a PA, it shouldnt color your sound at all. So apart from breaking in the speakers, if it sounds thin, its probably something with your settings. Give us your Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Gain settings and we'll try to help. Also your amp settings, keep the bass/midddle/treble knobs at noon. The KB has an active eq- even a small movement makes a drastic change. And what is the channel level on the KB set at? High levels cause clipping which sounds harsh.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
eh?
Go into the high Z left input, set all EQ to noon (on the KB).

Is it a brand new amp? If so, then itll take a week or two for the speakers to get broken in. When I got my KB, I originally had a lot of high end harshness which gradually went away. Itll take a bit more time to break in as compared to a guitar amp as FRFR speakers are usually a lot stiffer. You can speed up the process by going chuggah chuggah at high volume.
Also, what settings are you using on the POD? The KB is essentially a PA, it shouldnt color your sound at all. So apart from breaking in the speakers, if it sounds thin, its probably something with your settings. Give us your Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Gain settings and we'll try to help. Also your amp settings, keep the bass/midddle/treble knobs at noon. The KB has an active eq- even a small movement makes a drastic change. And what is the channel level on the KB set at? High levels cause clipping which sounds harsh.

well all my settings on the amp where al set at noon anyway, so if your right then it must be the speaker?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
First give us your settings, then we can say.
It might be an excessively bright setting, it might be bad strings, it might be a new speaker.

i dont think its a bright settings as ive tried all EQ levels on both the keyboard amp and the POD and noon...
When did you get the amp?
Quote by rock rocks
i dont think its a bright settings as ive tried all EQ levels on both the keyboard amp and the POD and noon...

I asked you to tell us, not say that you tried everything.
We cant help you unless you dont help us.

EDIT: And you couldnt possibly have tried out every setting, cause using just the BMT knobs on one amp model with everything else constant gives you about 1000 combinations, assuming you only make changes in increments of 1.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I asked you to tell us, not say that you tried everything.
We cant help you unless you dont help us.

i didnt say ive tried everything, all i said was that ive had all of the EQ levels at noon, on amp and POD, so its a balanced sound.

when did i say id tried everything?
Oh lol sorry my bad.

Boost mids, cut treble and presence.

What amp model? Gain? Was it boosted? What cab model? Mic model? Distance of mic model from cab model? Any usage of parametric EQ?

keep tweaking. Its an MFX- MFX units need to be tweaked a hundred times as hard as a real amp to get good tone. That and the fact that your speakers are new are whats aggravating the problem.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Oh lol sorry my bad.

Boost mids, cut treble and presence.

What amp model? Gain? Was it boosted? What cab model? Mic model? Distance of mic model from cab model? Any usage of parametric EQ?

keep tweaking. Its an MFX- MFX units need to be tweaked a hundred times as hard as a real amp to get good tone. That and the fact that your speakers are new are whats aggravating the problem.

line 6 Purge with 70% gain, no boost, 78 Brit Celest T 75 cab, 421 Dynamic mic 10% from cab, and no parametric EQ was used.

i'll keep tweaking then, and hopefully breaking in the speaker at the same time.
Last edited by rock rocks at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Try a Recto, BMT 5 8 7, presence to taste, mesa 412 cab, SM57 mic 10% from cab.
Boost it with a TS9 model

just tried this, sounds a little better.

ive just tried a 'Dual tone' and it sounds much better than before, the tone is a lot fuller...if that makes sence?
Should. Dual tones are essentially using two amps. Bi amping>>>>>>>>>>>single amp.

Keep tweaking. Thats all I have to say. Each MFX has its own little nuances and character ticks. The settings I told you (minus the mic) sound absolutely massive on my RP, so I guess youll have to try something different. Experiment with different amps, see what you like.
A word of advice, avoid the "line 6" amps, those are random models that have no real conterparts. Try the Angel model for a tight, slightly bright tone. Try athe criminal model for a 5150 style tone.
read the manual. it helps. And stick a 5150 in stereo with a recto, sounds awesome when panned.

What kind of tone are you after?

Oi Kutless, link this guy to that post I made on EQing MFX units.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Should. Dual tones are essentially using two amps. Bi amping>>>>>>>>>>>single amp.

Keep tweaking. Thats all I have to say. Each MFX has its own little nuances and character ticks. The settings I told you (minus the mic) sound absolutely massive on my RP, so I guess youll have to try something different. Experiment with different amps, see what you like.
A word of advice, avoid the "line 6" amps, those are random models that have no real conterparts. Try the Angel model for a tight, slightly bright tone. Try athe criminal model for a 5150 style tone.
read the manual. it helps. And stick a 5150 in stereo with a recto, sounds awesome when panned.

What kind of tone are you after?

Oi Kutless, link this guy to that post I made on EQing MFX units.

just to start with, thanks for all your help so far

erm im looking for a 80's hair metal tone, ive paired a marshall JCM800 with the line6 Purge at the moment, and it sounds far better than what i had before, but i noticed uve said to stay clear of the line 6 amps, what would you reccommend then for the tone i want?
Quote by rock rocks
just to start with, thanks for all your help so far

erm im looking for a 80's hair metal tone, ive paired a marshall JCM800 with the line6 Purge at the moment, and it sounds far better than what i had before, but i noticed uve said to stay clear of the line 6 amps, what would you reccommend then for the tone i want?

if it sounds good to your ears use it. Experimentation is what gets you good tones. I just deeply dislike those models on my friends X3.

Try using 2 JCM's with different cab/micing? Mixing cabs also has a massive effect on tone.
Does it have a Soldano model?

EDIT: Stick a JCM on the left, and a boosted plexi on the right.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
if it sounds good to your ears use it. Experimentation is what gets you good tones. I just deeply dislike those models on my friends X3.

Try using 2 JCM's with different cab/micing? Mixing cabs also has a massive effect on tone.
Does it have a Soldano model?

EDIT: Stick a JCM on the left, and a boosted plexi on the right.

ok, i'll have a look at different cabs 2morow, and yes it does have a Soldano model.

and im not sure how to do the whole 'pan left and right' stuff, how do i do that?

and seeing as im only using 1 amp with 1 speaker, will it make a difference panning the 2 tones?
Oh yeah, I forgot, youre not running it with two cables?
I noticed using two cables makes it sound clearer with my RP, but its kinda subtle tbh.
But pan it anyway, will save you some time the next time you record.
See the manual, it will be given there.
And do post a NAD thread.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
And take a look at the link Kutless posted, itll help you a lot.

ok, thanks guys, really, you've both been a massive help, and yes i'll look at the link 2morow.