So, as you may have seen in the EG Forum, I had some money left over from my last guitar purchase. Quite a lot of money in the form of a credit note which had to be used by a certain date. Anyway, I've used it and my gear arrived today. Here's what I got:

My reverb on my Marshall is just awful. With the reverb cranked, it's still pretty subtle. So, first up is an EHX Holy Grail. Pretty basic pedal. Very cool though. Goes from being subtle to over the top. Three modes include Flerb. I have no idea how to describe this. It's just very weird. Kinda cool though. Can't see myself using it much. And then you have the choice between Hall and Spring reverb. I like both.

Next up a Boss CH-1 Super Chorus. I've always liked Chorus pedals but never had one. This one is pretty awesome. Really adds some depths to the cleans. Very easy to use.

Okay. So I have some pedals. Probably be needing a pedal board, eh? I decided to get a Boss BCB-60. Seems to get the job done. Easy to set up. The only problem I had was getting the Wah and the Tuner in. I wanted the Tuner first but then the wah wouldn't fit. So I managed to get the tuner first in the signal chain but second in the pedal board. So the signal goes Guitar--Polytune--Artec APW-3--EHX LPB-1--EHX Memory Toy--Boss CH1-EHX Holy Grail--Amp.

Speaking of amps...

So my Marshall, a Vintage Modern isn't too great for bedroom practice. You can get some very good low volume tones from it, but it's still better suited for band practice and gigs due to it's size. So I thought I'd get a practice amp. I don't like solid state. I much prefer tubes. I tried lots and couldn't find one a liked. Then, it was suggested that I try Hugh and Kettner. Never tried anything by them before. This amp is awesome though. It's a Hugh and Kettner Tubemeister 18. It has all the features of a large amp, just small. It's 18 watts. You can bring it down to 5 or 1 watt, which is still a lot louder than I thought it'd be. But, I can crank it without pissing people off too much. This will easily be loud enough for band practice and even some small/ medium gigs, I think. It is 2 channel. A clean and lead channel. It has a shared EQ. Separate volume and gain for each channel and a lead boost for the lead channel. But, it has a secret weapon up it's sleeve. It has a feature that lets you plug it straight into a PA or recording equipment without the cab. So for band practice, I can just take the head, into the PA and go. It also lets you do "Silent recording". Means you can plug it in to your recording equipment at night, with the amp cranked and you just plug headphones in to your recording equipment and you get the same tone as you would through the cab. Or more or less. The cab affects the tone obviously. But it's a very similar sound. I think that's an awesome feature.

Right, enough talk. On the rest of the pics! Starting with the amp.

Head

Cab

Head lit up

And a family shot.

HNGD! I like how the head lites up.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
HNGD! H&K make incredible amps.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by phoenix_crush
HNGD! I really like your tele too haha

Nice eh? Lots of people seem to like that one. Very unique for a tele. Only thing is, it doesn't really sound like a Tele. Sounds more like a Les Paul.

Thanks everyone!
Right, thanks guys.

BUT. I've just cranked the H&K all the way of both the 1 and 5 watt settings. It seems to be cutting out. Like you're flicking a kill switch back and forth real quick. Not sure what this was. I've taken the pedals out of the equation, changed guitars and cables and it is definitely something to do with the amp and not my other gear. The amp was pretty warm as I had it cranked so I've turned it off to cool down and I'm gunna try again in a bit.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Right, thanks guys.

BUT. I've just cranked the H&K all the way of both the 1 and 5 watt settings. It seems to be cutting out. Like you're flicking a kill switch back and forth real quick. Not sure what this was. I've taken the pedals out of the equation, changed guitars and cables and it is definitely something to do with the amp and not my other gear. The amp was pretty warm as I had it cranked so I've turned it off to cool down and I'm gunna try again in a bit.

Maybe its a compressor that tries to prevent clipping? If its hybrid and has SS components, then it makes sense as SS gets damaged when driven into clipping. My KB4 has such a circuit- overdoing the volume makes the amp cut out for a few seconds.
Or maybe a bad tube?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Maybe its a compressor that tries to prevent clipping? If its hybrid and has SS components, then it makes sense as SS gets damaged when driven into clipping. My KB4 has such a circuit- overdoing the volume makes the amp cut out for a few seconds.
Or maybe a bad tube?

I thought it might be clipping. The amp, as fatr as I'm aware, is full tube. It's has 2 EL84's and two preamp valves which I'm not sure what they are.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I thought it might be clipping. The amp, as fatr as I'm aware, is full tube. It's has 2 EL84's and two preamp valves which I'm not sure what they are.

Ask Cathbard, give him a schematic. See if you can spot any op amps or anything.
Try changing your power supply?
It all seems to be fine now. I think it was just getting too hot. The ventilation design doesn't seem to be the best on the amp.

Just starting to get used to the amp. The tone controls are very sensitive. Much more so than on my Marshall. The cleans are fantastic. Better than my Marshall. The distorted sounds aren't as good as the Marshall, but that's to be expected. But, for a small amp of it's price, they're still pretty impressive. I'm gunna run the head through my Marshall 425A cab later to see how that sounds and how different it is from the 1x12 H&K cab.

Higher gain stuff it seems to cope with. Quite a tight sound. You can get a good scooped mids sort of metal sound quite easily. But I don't play metal, but, it's there if I need it. Been trying to get a good smooth blues tone. Lots of warmth and subtle gain but it's hard to find. It's definitely there but I think it might need some tweaking. On my Marshall, you play with the controls for a minute and you get any (classic rock, heavy metal) tone you want.

It seems to take pedals pretty well. Changing the settings slightly on the pedals is pretty noticeable through the amp. It seems pretty responsive to that sort of thing. Turning down the guitars volume cleans off the gain real nice.
Quote by Darkflame
Is this the new Fender Modern player tele? if so, how is it? I was looking at them, but the Crafted in China thingie made me reluctant...

No it's not. It a Fender Ja-90 (Jimmy Eat World frontman sig). It's made in Indonesia but to a very high standard. It holds it's own against my other guitars. And it plays and sounds fantastic. Don't be put off that it's a sig or that it's not made in the US. It's great guitar. I didn't buy it cuz I liked the band. It's just a good guitar in general.
JEW is pretty decent (their old stuff is great, though), but I want that guitar cause it's a thinline with p90s and the les paul controls.
Quote by phoenix_crush
JEW is pretty decent (their old stuff is great, though), but I want that guitar cause it's a thinline with p90s and the les paul controls.

Yup. It's awesome. Any guitar worth it's salt will be able to get a sound close to JEW's, it's not a specific sound really. However, the tone and volume controls are Les Paul style, but I swapped them to that. They were stupid looking dials before that. Plus, because I thought it looked weird without one, I stuck a "rhythm/ Treble" ring around the pickup selector. Makes it play so much better
Happy new stuff day! i really want to try one of those H&k amps. i love your jimmy page cab and that tele is the sex. very nice setup man!
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Thanks! The Jimmy Page cab isn't actually what you think... It's just a flag poster I bought of the net, was gunna be putting it on my wall. But the pins I was using to stick it in the wall kept breaking, so I stuck it over the front of my cab. It's a standard 425A Marshall cab.
Pull the tubes out and plug them back in again. You should always do that with a new amp because the tubes will often rattle loose in transit and do exactly what you are describing.

Nice gear.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
actually that is a cool idea. i like it
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Cathbard
Pull the tubes out and plug them back in again. You should always do that with a new amp because the tubes will often rattle loose in transit and do exactly what you are describing.

Nice gear.

Oh. Thank you very much! I shall do this now. Lower volumes it hasn't done it, but it's only when I crank it.
At louder volumes it is vibrating more so an intermittent connection will be more problematic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks. Right, opened her up and I needed a smaller screw driver to get the screws out. I don't wanna use the one I have otherwise it'll mash the screws up. So I just used a cloth over the tubes and pressed them down firmly, so that shoulda done the same job, right? I used a cloth as I heard that touching the valves with your hands can create hot spots and damage the valves.
It's a myth. I have never seen the glass on a tube break without them being dropped or hit with a hammer and I've seen some filthy tubes. The glass they use is as tough as nails. The only thing you have to worry about when touching a tube is burning your fingers. If they aren't hot just grab them with your fingers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I assumed that the screws he was talking about were on the panel at the back so he could get access to the tubes. Can't think what else he'd need to unscrew.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's a myth. I have never seen the glass on a tube break without them being dropped or hit with a hammer and I've seen some filthy tubes. The glass they use is as tough as nails. The only thing you have to worry about when touching a tube is burning your fingers. If they aren't hot just grab them with your fingers.

This. It comes from high end lightbulbs, which can crack if used after exposure to oils... How it got transferred to tubes I don't know. The old RCA tubes I had were nasty as hell. I think Gregs still has them, and they work fine... Just dirty.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Erm, sounds stupid and makes me sound like a rich kid who gets everything given to him (which is not the case, this is my own hard earned money) but I don't know. I just bought it I think maybe pushing £600? Including the cab, that is.

Thanks guys!
your cab... I MUST HAVE IT.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Haha nice, eh? It's a recent thing. All it is is a Jimmy Page poster flag pinned on the face of my Marshall cab. But it works really well as my cab is purple and the flag is blue
Cool stuff, I rocked the Hall mode on my old Holy Grail for a number of years to good results. Flerb was pretty useless to me (and I like weird stuff), but YMMV
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet