so, I'm wondering what's the difference between and overdrive pedal and a distortion pedal.

Also, what are good brands? All I know is BOSS. I'm interested in shredding.

And finally, I'm interested in Malmsteen sound (early records .. I am a Viking) and Jason Becker (Altitudes, Dweller)

Thanks
Quote by Sputnik1
What is your amp?

15watt marshall Mg15DFX. I know I have to change it, but I want to know about the questions above anyway
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
15watt marshall Mg15DFX. I know I have to change it, but I want to know about the questions above anyway

A pedal won't do you much good on a modeler.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
thanks for the reply jager (ill give you the benefit of the doubt that you didtn see the last post by the TS).

they are both dirt pedals (as in they both distort/alter the signal from the guitar going to the amp).
Overdrive - Recreates the sound of an 'overdriven' tube amp. When a tube amp is pushed it creates this beautifully warm sound. This is what an overdrive pedal recreates. Overdrive pedals are often used to push a tube amp a little more.
Industry standard overdrive (Ibanez Tube Screamer 808). SRV was a huge player of this pedal. Check out some youtube videos

Distortion - distorts the signal. Pretty basic. I actually look at both these pedals as overdrives and usually compare them to amps. I look at distortions as a pushed Marshall JCM800-900 and overdrives as a pushed plexi or blackface fender.
Check out: Fulltone OCD, ZVex Box of Rocks videos for Distortion sounds

Hope that somewhat helps.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by thejester
thanks for the reply jager (ill give you the benefit of the doubt that you didtn see the last post by the TS).

they are both dirt pedals (as in they both distort/alter the signal from the guitar going to the amp).
Overdrive - Recreates the sound of an 'overdriven' tube amp. When a tube amp is pushed it creates this beautifully warm sound. This is what an overdrive pedal recreates. Overdrive pedals are often used to push a tube amp a little more.
Industry standard overdrive (Ibanez Tube Screamer 808). SRV was a huge player of this pedal. Check out some youtube videos

Distortion - distorts the signal. Pretty basic. I actually look at both these pedals as overdrives and usually compare them to amps. I look at distortions as a pushed Marshall JCM800-900 and overdrives as a pushed plexi or blackface fender.
Check out: Fulltone OCD, ZVex Box of Rocks videos for Distortion sounds

Hope that somewhat helps.

it does help, but i'm still not sure which one is beter for a Malmsteen sound shred... (I DON'T WANT SIGNATURE STUFF). I believe that distortion is much dirtier than overdrive, and overdrive less heavier than dist.
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
it does help, but i'm still not sure which one is beter for a Malmsteen sound shred... (I DON'T WANT SIGNATURE STUFF). I believe that distortion is much dirtier than overdrive, and overdrive less heavier than dist.

That is basically true, not necessarily always correct.
Back to the real discussion, neither is really better for Malmsteen's tone. Since you have a digital amp neither would help. Malmsteen's tone is derived from a Marshall tube amp like a Plexi and then overdrived using a pedal for better leads like the DOD overdrive. You are just going to have to use what you already have and save up for a Marshally tube amp in the future. The only thing you could do if you absolutely had to have his tone is purchase a Marshall in a box pedal and use it on your clean channel on your amp.

Pedals would include the MI Audio Crunchbox, Wampler Plextortion, etc.

Again it would be just easier to save your money and purchase a Jet City, Blackstar, or Egnator tube amp and then get an overdrive.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Oct 26, 2011,
people generally get an OD to push a tube amp a little harder on the front end. This will do next to nothing with a solid state amp. If you want to change your tone you'll probably want to go with a distortion or fuzz pedal into the MG as clean as it can be. I've only ever owned like one distortion pedal though, so can't really help you much with specific models.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Basically, "overdrive" and "distortion" are interchangeable. Typically, the former is associated with lighter drive, while the latter is typically heftier, but that's not set in stone. Manufacturers can call their pedals one way or another because technically, we're talking about roughly the same thing happening to your signal.

Many so-called overdrives are derivatives of the Ibanez Tubescreamers, and are relatively close in tone. That typically means they don't offer too much distortion and will cut treble and bass, effectively boosting mids. This is nice in combination with scooped amps (say, Fender Blackfaces) if you want your dirt from a pedal. It's also useful as a clean boost to tighten up overdriven amps and to make them overdrive even more.
However, there's plenty of exceptions to what I just wrote on the market, so you'd have to play a bunch of pedals and see what you think for yourself.

As far as Boss is concerned, their SD1 is pretty nice, and from what I've heard, the BD2 as well, though I have not tried that one. The Digitech Bad Monkey is also a nice overdrive on a budget.

Distortion pedals are all over the place considering tone, gain, versatility, etc. The term can mean anything.

The cheapest distortion pedal that I can wholeheartedly recommend is the MI Audio Crunch Box. Great pedal, and imo holds it's own compared to much dearer stuff. Digitech Hardwire units are cheap and half decent as well. Avoid any gainier Boss-pedals like the plague.

Quote by JagerSlushy
A pedal won't do you much good on a modeler.

It's not a modeler. It's just a crap amp, but not a modelling one.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 26, 2011,
YYMM haven'rt we been down this road with you already? dude there is no way you can get the sounds you want with your current amp plain and simple. yngwie uses volume to get his sound out of old non master volume Plexi's this is not a sound your amp can do. as i recall jason used a carvin X100B which has a nice distortion tone by itself. bottom line is you need to start with a capable tube amp and then worry about pedals. there is no shortcut to those tones you need the right tools for the job.
Quote by monwobobbo
YYMM haven'rt we been down this road with you already? dude there is no way you can get the sounds you want with your current amp plain and simple. yngwie uses volume to get his sound out of old non master volume Plexi's this is not a sound your amp can do. as i recall jason used a carvin X100B which has a nice distortion tone by itself. bottom line is you need to start with a capable tube amp and then worry about pedals. there is no shortcut to those tones you need the right tools for the job.

Yes he has.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1488172

The strat didn't solve the problem.
generally speaking od pedals have the clipping diodes in the op-amp's feedback loop for soft clipping, while distortions have the clipping diodes to ground for hard clipping. There are some exceptions, and there's some overlap, but that's a good rule of thumb for the main difference.

New amp would be the thing.

If you can't stretch and want something to improve your tone with your current amp, a distortion would probably be a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?