So as the title implies, i'm looking for a super high gain amp, somewhere between 5 and $700.

Must haves:
good cleans
very high gain
atleast 2 channels (foot switchable if possible)
MUST BE TUBE

im not a huge fan of the peavey 6505's, personal preferance kind of thing, they just aren't what i'm looking for.

i'm a fan of the tone of misha mansoor in this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGZPTy2biY

basically i want that tone on a budget
Quote by andrerist
So as the title implies, i'm looking for a super high gain amp, somewhere between 5 and $700.

Must haves:
good cleans
very high gain
atleast 2 channels (foot switchable if possible)
MUST BE TUBE

im not a huge fan of the peavey 6505's, personal preferance kind of thing, they just aren't what i'm looking for.

i'm a fan of the tone of misha mansoor in this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGZPTy2biY

basically i want that tone on a budget

mishas tone is pretty crap in that IMO
Peavey triple x and ultra are good high gain shouts for a brighter and tighter (IMO OFCOURSE) alternative to a 6505.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 26, 2011,
I had an old Peavey Ultra Plus head that worked very well for an all-tube head from the 1980s/90s. You can find them used on Ebay for around $300-400 usually, and I think they're well worth the money.

I gotta disagree with you about the 6505 combos. I love the tones I can get from mine.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
you know thats not actually the amp he uses right? that sounds horrible in comparison to his actual rig. good luck getting his tone on a budget lol. i would try some peaveys like suggested before. and vecheka, thats whats up
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
you know thats not actually the amp he uses right? that sounds horrible in comparison to his actual rig. good luck getting his tone on a budget lol. i would try some peaveys like suggested before. and vecheka, thats whats up

Same ol' man. Yourself?
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Goodtimes666

He used to use the jsx 120w heads in his live rig.

For close to the same price used, I'd take a JSX over a XXX/ultra any day.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
+1 DarthV. That JSX seems very attractive. heavy. but attractive.

In his other thread 'unsaturate my tone' or whatever he stated he didn't like Peaveys

Maybe a Carvin V3? Blackstar something? Blackheart Hot Head? I've never played any of those unfortunately

B52AT, Randall RT, Bogner Alchemist, Jet City 50, Krank Rev Jr, Kustom Defender, Hughes & Kettner, go play some stuff

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/2667237050.html tsl
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/2640757552.html vetta
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/2654216993.html ask mc
JCA50h with a decent 2x12. Plenty of gain for just about anything and has a great (and overlooked) clean channel.

Clips (of the 100h, which is pretty much the same):

Metal: 1 2

Death Metal:3

Cleans: 4

They have a combo version of it too. The JCA5012 (NOT the 5212, that one won't work for you). That one would fit your budget for sure.
JSX
XXX
Ultra
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Misha looks thrilled to be in that video.
+1 to a used
3120/jsx/xxx

or
randall rt503/rt50
crate blue voodoo 120h. i have one and that amp is pretty versatile and a good deal for the price.

i just picked up a B52 at100 head (NAD coming this Friday ) and that amp will do everything you need and more all while spending a very low price on them.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by coolstoryangus
mishas tone is pretty crap in that IMO

+1, that tone sucks.

Just get a Line 6 Spider if you want that. It sounds like a horrid digital can of bees
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
so..... can i quote back to the original post that said i really am not a fan of peavey's? even though every single post on here except for maybe 2 are for peaveys....
You said you werent a fan of 6505s. Nobody recommended you those.
They do make other amps ye know! Have you tried them?
Quote by andrerist
so..... can i quote back to the original post that said i really am not a fan of peavey's? even though every single post on here except for maybe 2 are for peaveys....

Sure if I can quote back that you said that you didn't like peavey 6505s The XXX and JSX (or ultras) will sound different than the 6505.

Were you looking for just a head or a combo? If you just need a head, then the carvin v3m or jet city JCA50H! You could pair either of those up with a 1x12 speaker cab until you want something larger. Think the Jet City 1x12 cab is $130.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by andrerist

Here...I'll quote what you said for you.

Quote by andrerist

That is why there is confusion.

Peavey just happens to fit a lot of what you are looking for. You don't have to like it. The JSX would probably be perfect for you. Go play one. Otherwise, I gave you a decent list of non-Peavey stuff to look at.
New I'd look at
Bugera Tri-rec, Jet City JCA 50/100, Krank Rev jr, Bugera 333/333xl

Used
mesa DC-5/10, Mesa Maverick, Mesa Mark IV, Mesa Rectoverb/Single Recto you may have to look good, to find them, but you can get some good deals from desprate people.

The Peavey XXX/3120/JSX/Ultra are really good amps, that sound nothing like a 5150.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate