I'm in the market for a Twin Reverb and I was wondering if I should go with a '65 reissue or get an early Silverface and mod it back to Blackface AB763 specs. Does anyone have an opinion either way? I know the latter would probable be cheaper and most people seem to like the vintage point-to-point circuits better, but since I'd be gigging a ton with it, so durability is an issue, but I have no idea if one would hold up better than the other. Ultimately, though, tone comes first.
Quote by barden1069
It's pedal gnome semen.

Quote by DavidRayT
"She's my priiideee and *sweep pick*.

Nope, can't really imagine it.
if you are gigging alot, get a 65 reissue, and put nice tubes in it.

thats how i'd go atleast.
ok that sounds reasonable
Quote by barden1069
It's pedal gnome semen.

Quote by DavidRayT

You think the old one will be less reliable? Why, exactly?

If something goes wrong on a reissue, it's a pain to replace parts on the PCB. It's much easier to work on a hand wired amp, especially in a pinch.

All things being equal, I'd take a vintage amp over a reissue any day.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
ok that answers one of my burning questions. Since the vintage one (properly serviced) will be reliable, I don't see a lot of reason to get a reissue.
Quote by barden1069
It's pedal gnome semen.

Quote by DavidRayT

Get a vintage one, if there's one available. Have a tech go over it. It will probably need new filter caps and a 3 prong plug if it doesn't already have one. Otherwise, just have the tech go over it and make sure there are no problems. It should be perfectly reliable.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i'd still go with a new reissue, since gigging can bring alot of need for that 2 year warranty...
a well serviced vintage twin is more reliable than any reissue.

ever heard the saying, "they don't make em like they used to." ?

there's a reason for that. it's because they don't.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The later silverfaces don't blackface very well. They cut costs everywhere on them. To really blackface it you have to just about rebuild the whole amp. Try to find an early silverface or just look for an actual blackface.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The later silverfaces don't blackface very well. They cut costs everywhere on them. To really blackface it you have to just about rebuild the whole amp. Try to find an early silverface or just look for an actual blackface.

This is a good point. The early silverfaces are definitely the best.

Luckily, you'll find a lot of people don't know what they have with the early silverfaces.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86