Sadowsky Jazz
15 36%
Musicman Stingray
13 31%
Warwick Thumb
14 33%
Voters: 42.
Page 1 of 2
Right, I was supposed to be songwriting today, but I got bored and decided to do this instead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qc-TNGBdSc

In your opinion (for in the world of music, nothing is fact) which bass sound do you prefer?

To try and keep things similar, they are all strung with the same brand of strings (Rotosound Swing 66's, although the Warwicks are a bit older than the others) and are going through the same amp, with the same settings.

I apologise in advance for the horrific playing.

Enjoy!
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
I can't choose...though I definitely like the Stingray the least.
Quote by smb
I can't choose...though I definitely like the Stingray the least.

This
I'M A COWBOY
Even though you're a dick to me a lot of the times, I still subscribed because it's awesome.... I like the Warwick btw.

EDIT: I appreciate the subscribe but you might as well unsubscribe, I don't post anything worth watching.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Last edited by Kilty Boxers at Oct 26, 2011,
Interesting response so far - I wasn't expecting the Stingray dislike! This may be because it works so well 'in the mix' that I don't notice the bad solo sound? Who knows!

Anyway, cheers for the feedback guys, it's nice to see what other people think
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Btw what scales do you use to play, I'd love to be able to playl ike that.
Okay, well what scales are used so i can do stuff with them and make me a better player?
The Stingray did sound awfully thin. I think I prefer the Shadowsky over the Warwick, just slightly more balanced and slightly more organic sounding. What are you playing through, by the way?
REGGIE
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Okay, well what scales are used so i can do stuff with them and make me a better player?

The Minor Blues scale will always make you sound awesome.

It was all the E minor blues (E minor Pentatonic with an added b5)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Pfffft, go away and do some stuff in A Double Harmonic major and then come back and try to say that

If I knew what such a thing was, I would.

Another great soloing scale is the Altered scale (second mode of melodic minor...I think)

Or, do what the best do - play arpeggios with chromatic approach tones. It will always sound like awesome jazz.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Killerfridge
The Minor Blues scale will always make you sound awesome.

It was all the E minor blues (E minor Pentatonic with an added b5)

Is there a tab for it somewhere?
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Is there a tab for it somewhere?

Everywhere, but you'll be a better player, and be able to jam easier if you learn the notes, and their relationships to each other (E, G, A, Bb, B, F)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Killerfridge
Everywhere, but you'll be a better player, and be able to jam easier if you learn the notes, and their relationships to each other (E, G, A, Bb, B, F)

I printed something off and it has the notes there.
Killerfridge can I have your email so I can send you a picture of what i printed so you can tell if it's right or not?
Quote by Killerfridge

Another great soloing scale is the Altered scale (second mode of melodic minor...I think)

Or, do what the best do - play arpeggios with chromatic approach tones. It will always sound like awesome jazz.

It's synonymous with Byzantine/Arabic scale. Simply the major scale with b2 and b6.
I like the Warwick the most, and Sadowsky the least. The Sadowsky wasn't defined enough, the Stingray was a little bit better, and the Wick was just great.
pinga
1) Sadowsky
2) Stingray
3) Warwick

...which is strange to me. I'm usually not a jazz fan and i preffer Warwicks... but in YOUR recording, i preffered the Sadowsky more than either of the other two. Mayyyyybe it's a bit of a bias, as i'm working on the 'Hair' and 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musicals, and my Jazz is getting all the attention (especially for Hair)... but that Sadowsky sounded amazing. I didn't really hate the 'Ray... i mean, it sounded like a Stingray. I also didn't percieve a huge difference between a Rosewood/maple 'Ray, and your Status graphite neck. The Warwick just didn't do it for me at all. It didn't seem to have the definition of the other two, thin high end and boomy... dare i say it... muddy lows!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by Din of Win
1) Sadowsky
2) Stingray
3) Warwick

...which is strange to me. I'm usually not a jazz fan and i preffer Warwicks... but in YOUR recording, i preffered the Sadowsky more than either of the other two. Mayyyyybe it's a bit of a bias, as i'm working on the 'Hair' and 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musicals, and my Jazz is getting all the attention (especially for Hair)... but that Sadowsky sounded amazing. I didn't really hate the 'Ray... i mean, it sounded like a Stingray. I also didn't percieve a huge difference between a Rosewood/maple 'Ray, and your Status graphite neck. The Warwick just didn't do it for me at all. It didn't seem to have the definition of the other two, thin high end and boomy... dare i say it... muddy lows!

I agree completely with your comment on the Ray sounding very similar to a Rosewood/Maple Ray - as far as I am concerned it sounds identical.

The reason for the Status neck is my original Musicman neck is fretless, and it costs about as much to get a second hand fretted Musicman neck as it does to get a new Status Graphite neck! Now I have the ability to switch between a fretted and fretless Stingray with about 15 minutes work

I'm also not too keen on how the Warwick came out (my perception of it is very similar to yours), so am surprised at how well received it is!

And the Sadowsky just works in every situation I have thrown it in, and is perfect for musical work as you say.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Kilty Boxers
Killerfridge can I have your email so I can send you a picture of what i printed so you can tell if it's right or not?

You certainly can - killerfridge@hotmail.com
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

I am more of a fan of the Sadowsky over the Warwick. I love Stingrays, but that one sounds a bit thin--which may be just an EQ issue
Wick was the one. the sound just fit what you were playing and your style really well for me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Thanks again for the feedback guys - not what I was expecting!

We shall getting a few more of these comparisons in the coming weeks if I get time, some slap, distorted picking etc. and see if we can't crown a winner
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by anarkee
I love Stingrays, but that one sounds a bit thin--which may be just an EQ issue

This. I liked the Warwick the best, like Delirium said, sounded fuller. That is a nice sounding jazz, though...and we should have a blues bassline/scale compendium going on, I'm feeling really sad that I only really know one...
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by Killerfridge

Another great soloing scale is the Altered scale (second mode of melodic minor...I think).

Altered is 7th mode of melodic minor.

2nd mode of melodic minor is Dorian b2.

Edit:

And so I'm not just appearing to correct modes, I put them

Warwick
Sadowsky
Stingray. Really didn't like the Stingray tone at all. Of all the basses that I don't think would need a graphite neck, the Stingray is definitely it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by Nutter_101
Altered is 7th mode of melodic minor.

2nd mode of melodic minor is Dorian b2.

Edit:

And so I'm not just appearing to correct modes, I put them

Warwick
Sadowsky
Stingray. Really didn't like the Stingray tone at all. Of all the basses that I don't think would need a graphite neck, the Stingray is definitely it.

Arse, I knew it was one or the other, I just didn't think to actually check! I used to be really good with the modes of melodic minor as well!
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Quote by Deliriumbassist
The Wick. Possibly biased, but I have done a similar comparison myself. Wicks just sound a bit fuller.

this. I've always liked warwicks.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Sadowsky
Stingray
Thumb

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
i definately gave the stingray first, definate hard bias tho lol
i love the stingray tone

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I prefer the Sadowsky, for me it has a bit more of a punch than the Warwick but still sounds warm.
By itself the Sadowsky (imo) is by far the nicest sounding. In the context of a mix, the Stingray would probably rise above the other two.
Quote by Ziphoblat
By itself the Sadowsky (imo) is by far the nicest sounding. In the context of a mix, the Stingray would probably rise above the other two.

This is very true, sometimes basses are simply not meant to be heard alone. I love Andy Rourke's tone and playing, but when I heard a bit by itself it sounded like crap.
REGGIE
I'm digging the Squier the most, then probably the Stingray. The Warwick doesn't sound like it should, am I seeing EMGs in there?

EDIT: To add to the above imo P Basses are in the group that sound like arse by themselves but sit in a mix beautifully.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Oct 27, 2011,
Quote by consecutive e
I'm digging the Squier the most, then probably the Stingray. The Warwick doesn't sound like it should, am I seeing EMGs in there?

EDIT: To add to the above imo P Basses are in the group that sound like arse by themselves but sit in a mix beautifully.

Yeah, I get bored with the Warwick, so its electronics go in and out like nobody's business! It's currently rocking some EMGs and a U-Retro pre (and some oldish strings)
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

Page 1 of 2