Page 1 of 2
I am considering doing a voluntary military service. I will be paid quite a lot of money and it would be for 1 year only. Also I would not be shipped out to Afghanistan or anywhere else outside of Germany. I love to camp, do sports and just get physically challenged. Can the pit think of any downsides of doing a military service?
I'm an American and have done 4 years in the US Navy. There are good and bad things, but 1 year is nothing, it goes by fast.

What would you be doing?
You could die.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

They could choose to declare war lol, but I honestly didn't think Germany had a standing army.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by W4RP1G
I'm an American and have done 4 years in the US Navy. There are good and bad things, but 1 year is nothing, it goes by fast.

What would you be doing?

not sure what I could be doing in 1 year, because everyone has basic training for 6 months, so I am not sure what I could do within 6 months.
You'll end up shooting your drill sergeant and then yourself in a toilet
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Lol at camping. When we go outside we sleep in a hole and get attacked all through the night so have no sleep and freeze to death. Plus your sitting in a shitty hole eating shit food getting dirty.
Quote by Tangerineseeker
not sure what I could be doing in 1 year, because everyone has basic training for 6 months, so I am not sure what I could do within 6 months.

That's a lotta basic training... American boot camps are typically only 8 weeks.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Tangerineseeker
Full metal jacket!

I wanted to make that reference!

...5 minutes late....

Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by rgrockr
That's a lotta basic training... American boot camps are typically only 8 weeks.

If it's infantry it's not too long as their infantry training is part of the whole basic training.
Training is highly strenuous but you've said that's not a problem.

I can't think of anything... it's more than just "camping" and closer to "being told to survive for a week." I can't speak for the German army, but that's pretty much how it is over here
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I would like to do military service. The swedish army does a lot of good stuff, so there's not really an ethical dilemma.

Not sure if I want to give up a year or more for it though.

EDIT: By that I mean both basic training and possible international missions.
Quote by Banjocal
Training is highly strenuous but you've said that's not a problem.

I can't think of anything... it's more than just "camping" and closer to "being told to survive for a week." I can't speak for the German army, but that's pretty much how it is over here

Nah it's closer to sitting in a hole with no sleep and walking round the woods a lot. Then in the morning you have to clean yourself and all your stuff in a hole full of dirt ( like drying something with water) to get inspected. Then you repeat the walking around, sitting in a hole part and if your lucky you get to fire some blanks.
Quote by rgrockr

I think it is a bit more than just basic training, but yeah like someone already mentioned I think that is specifically for the Army.
Quote by Tangerineseeker
I think it is a bit more than just basic training, but yeah like someone already mentioned I think that is specifically for the Army.

Unless what your military calls "basic training" includes the actual job training. In the US the actual job training can take up to 2 years.
Quote by Tangerineseeker

Like I said, 1 year is nothing. As long as you have a pair and some small level of commitment you should be fine. Just about everyone I knew that were kicked out probably would have tried harder to stay in if it were only 1 year vs 4.

And American boot camp is separate from specialized training, so it ends up being anywhere from 4 months to a year total in the end. I'm speaking of the Navy though.
Quote by Greenie_777
Lol at camping. When we go outside we sleep in a hole and get attacked all through the night so have no sleep and freeze to death. Plus your sitting in a shitty hole eating shit food getting dirty.

Reminds me of Bloodstock Open Air 2010.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Go for it brah, sounds like an enriching experience
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by W4RP1G
Like I said, 1 year is nothing. As long as you have a pair and some small level of commitment you should be fine. Just about everyone I knew that were kicked out probably would have tried harder to stay in if it were only 1 year vs 4.

And American boot camp is separate from specialized training, so it ends up being anywhere from 4 months to a year total in the end. I'm speaking of the Navy though.

Well Navy really sounds interesting to me! Then again the Germany navy is very different from I am assuming you went to the American Navy?
But for the navy training did you start on a ship right away or did you have to do other training before?
Is that what the German military does these days, camping and sports? My how the mighty have fallen.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Is that what the German military does these days, camping and sports? My how the mighty have fallen.

haha well I mean we do have soldiers in Afghanistan, but I am not very keen on volunteering to go there. I mean to me camping sounds better than being surrounded by people that hate you. :P
Quote by Tangerineseeker
Well Navy really sounds interesting to me! Then again the Germany navy is very different from I am assuming you went to the American Navy?
But for the navy training did you start on a ship right away or did you have to do other training before?

I'm only enlisted right now, I haven't started yet, but my understanding is that all the training is done on land. I have to go to school for 2 years before I get to go on board a ship.
You could drop a piano on your commanding officer.
Cause then you'd have Ab Major!

on a serious note, that sounds really cool. I've considered military service before, but I don't think I have the right stuff for it, especially if I were to get shipped out to war. I'm NOT the kind of guy that could fight people, let alone point a gun at someone. I do admire the people who are tough enough to stick it out and go through that sort of thing.
Best of luck if you do it.

as far as any downsides, I only know what I've heard. I've heard some rotten stories about things that soldiers do in war, but if you don't go to war then you're good. I do know that drill sergeants are notoriously rude, but they're probably not all like that. Plus, I have NO idea what the military is like in Germany.
Just be careful, though. I've heard that the military intentionally breaks people down to make them into the soldiers they want, completely stripping you of your independence and identity. Again, just stories I've heard, and it may not even be true or relevant to your country's military.
Quote by Greenie_777
Nah it's closer to sitting in a hole with no sleep and walking round the woods a lot. Then in the morning you have to clean yourself and all your stuff in a hole full of dirt ( like drying something with water) to get inspected. Then you repeat the walking around, sitting in a hole part and if your lucky you get to fire some blanks.

Fair enough; I'm not really getting this off first hand accounts - merely what my parents (they both served) and their friends have told me. For the most part, what you quoted was what was said.

Quote by =(Cody=)
You could drop a piano on your commanding officer.
Cause then you'd have Ab Major!
My sig would like to have a word with you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 26, 2011,
It sounds like a great opportunity has presented itself, and the only thing you have to worry about is that you'll chicken out and stay home instead.
Here's the most important advice about joining the military - don't become infantry. Get trained in a marketable skill so that once you get out you'll be able to get a good job. Remember, very few people actually go into combat, and all those other people have actual skills.
Quote by Banjocal

My sig would like to have a word with you.

That's where I got the idea
Quote by rgrockr
Here's the most important advice about joining the military - don't become infantry. Get trained in a marketable skill so that once you get out you'll be able to get a good job. Remember, very few people actually go into combat, and all those other people have actual skills.

Yeah that is very true what you are saying. Well I am actually planning on joining the federal police as a job but since I live outside of Germany and have a foreign high school degree I am having trouble to get it accepted for german standards. Since I really don't want to stay at home with my parents after school is done, I was looking for something short termish so that I can t least learn or do something and earn some money.
Quote by Tangerineseeker
Yeah that is very true what you are saying. Well I am actually planning on joining the federal police as a job but since I live outside of Germany and have a foreign high school degree I am having trouble to get it accepted for german standards. Since I really don't want to stay at home with my parents after school is done, I was looking for something short termish so that I can t least learn or do something and earn some money.

In that case, apply for military police. It's true, there's nothing better for a law enforcement career than military service, but if it's a major career move for you then maybe you should consider more than 1 year. And if your military pays 100% of your college tuition during your service, like ours does, make sure to get a criminal justice degree while you're in.

BTW I'm also trying to join a federal law enforcement branch through the military.
Last edited by rgrockr at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by rgrockr
In that case, apply for military police. It's true, there's nothing better for a law enforcement career than military service, but if it's a major career move for you then maybe you should consider more than 1 year. And if your military pays 100% of your college tuition during your service, like ours does, make sure to get a criminal justice degree while you're in.

BTW I'm also trying to join a federal law enforcement branch through the military.

Yeah that does sound good, but if you want the military to pay for your studies you have to enlist as officer, meaning you have to serve for at least 13 years. So that would also mean I would have to go to Afghanistan or wherever the next war will be. And I am not sure I would be able to do that. But yeah thanks for the idea, still might be worth considering to get to the federal police through the military.
Do you actually have a choice whether you go to war or not if you're in the german army?

That seems kind of pointless.
Quote by Greenie_777
Do you actually have a choice whether you go to war or not if you're in the german army?

That seems kind of pointless.

well if you do the volunteer military service for less than 12 months than you can't be send abroad, so unless Germany get attacked that means no war. But every other position has no choice and since they are low on numbers I think most people get to go to Afghanistan.
Quote by Tangerineseeker
Yeah that does sound good, but if you want the military to pay for your studies you have to enlist as officer, meaning you have to serve for at least 13 years. So that would also mean I would have to go to Afghanistan or wherever the next war will be. And I am not sure I would be able to do that. But yeah thanks for the idea, still might be worth considering to get to the federal police through the military.

Ah, I see. In the US they pay for all enlisted people's studies, maybe that accounts for a lot of our defense spending.

If you go into officer training, I don't know how it works over in Germany, but I wouldn't count on seeing any combat. Plus I've met people who've been to Iraq (though none who went into combat), I don't know much about Afghanistan but people who have been to Iraq say they loved the experience. Particularly the food.
Quote by Tangerineseeker

WHat branch in particularly?

Originally I had planned on trying for the FBI but if I get my degree while in the service I might want to apply for NCIS.
Quote by rgrockr
Ah, I see. In the US they pay for all enlisted people's studies, maybe that accounts for a lot of our defense spending.

If you go into officer training, I don't know how it works over in Germany, but I wouldn't count on seeing any combat. Plus I've met people who've been to Iraq (though none who went into combat), I don't know much about Afghanistan but people who have been to Iraq say they loved the experience. Particularly the food.

Originally I had planned on trying for the FBI but if I get my degree while in the service I might want to apply for NCIS.

Wow that is really neat! No wonder you guys have so many more people wanting to join the military if all enlisted men get free studies!
Yeah I have been considering an officer career, it seems really interesting and good for me on one side, but on the other side you have to go to war.
And even if Germany might not have any serious wars right now, who knows what will be in 10, 20 or 30 years.
When i googled NCIS, the first 3-5 results were about the stupid TV show :P That seems pretty interesting to get into man.
I hope i get taken by the federal police, coz they got a whole lot of range of stuff you can do. From helicopter pilot to navy police to special forces it really seems amazing.
Quote by metaldud536
Don't go. As long as we're fighting pointless wars in the middle east, you'll be fueling the machine.

+1
Page 1 of 2