Pretty simple... choosing between LTD MH-1000nt and Schecter Blackjack ATX (No trem, the Tonepros one)

What has better cleans? I already know both of their unholy distortion abilities

BTW what are diffs of the necks if you know? I dont care what's better just if ones thinner or narrower or thinner
???
Blackouts are better, but it's not a fair comparison. They're designed differently. For cleans, and a general organic sound, the order from best to worst sounding is EMG X > Blackout > EMG.

I think the Schecter neck is a little rounder/thicker.

EDIT: All that said though, you can get good cleans out of EMG's if you have a good amp and know how to EQ it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 26, 2011,
Through playing both the blackouts are better for cleans than EMG's. Like Offworld92 said though, the X series is slightly better than blackouts for cleans though. All three aren't really too hot for cleans compared to a good passive pup but you'll get what you want out of Blackouts over regular EMGs (unless it has the X series EMGs which I don't believe it does).
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Regular EMGs can get nice clean tones. You just have to dial in more mids than you would with other pickups, maybe roll back the presence knob a little.

But Offworld92 has it right, EMG X is the king for clean tones. The EMG 60AX is one of the best pickups around for jazz, blues and classic rock, so long as you're careful with the gain. Damn near every country player is picking up the EMG X Tele pickups.

But you do trade something. EMG Xs are the closest to the passive sound and give nicer cleans than other actives but their distortion might not be what some metal players are after. Regular EMGs give that famous highly responsive distortion but their cleans sound bland. Blackouts are in between so they might be your best pick if you use both distorted and clean tones equally, but really I think you should ask yourself which sort of tone you use more and go with what suits that. If you use clean tones only occasionally then get normal EMGs. If you use them a lot then get EMG Xs or consider swapping everything for a passive system. Blackouts, to me, are for people caught in the middle.
the schecter will have a deeper and rounder neck profile.

otherwise, I quite like EMG's clean tone (both an 81/60 and an 81/85 set currently). you really do need to know how to eq your amp and you need to have an amp with enough control over its tone to get everything dialed in right (dialing in less presence, some mids and pre-amp gain without any power-amp gain gets pretty solid results). it also depends on the amps design, I find its tricky to get a reasonable clean tone out of my fender with emg's, but my mesa sounds amazing (though the eq is very different from what I would use for passives).

as mentioned above, blackouts probably have better cleans under most circumstances. they seem to me to have a more organic sound which produces more lively tones through the majority of amps (I used to have a blackout loaded godin). however, through a really good and controlled amp, I found the duncans to be less dynamic, though certainly more organic, than EMG's.

ideally, play the guitars through your amp. the guitars feel different enough that you may not even worry about the pickups (I personally cannot play a schecter, but I own an ESP), but you'll definitely know pretty quick if they'll sound right for you
Quote by krehzeekid
however, through a really good and controlled amp, I found the duncans to be less dynamic, though certainly more organic, than EMG's.
That's because they are. SD admit it themselves if you press the issue hard enough with them. Blackouts have almost perfectly matched coils which gives them more mids which is why they sound more 'natural' to most people because mids are what really define guitar tone. Matched coils also cancel more hum. But matched coils also cancel more bass and treble.
Regular EMGs use uneven coils so they have less of a mid spike and can have a tiny bit of hum but they have a lot more treble and bass instead. Regular EMGs respond to frequencies that Blackouts, EMG Xs and passives don't pick up.

That's why EMGs sound 'flat' but if you know what you're doing they have the most complex response and tone possible. Blackouts and EMG Xs sound more 'natural' because they're closer to the sound we're used to hearing but they're actually more limited.
Quote by grohl1987
That's because they are. SD admit it themselves if you press the issue hard enough with them. Blackouts have almost perfectly matched coils which gives them more mids which is why they sound more 'natural' to most people because mids are what really define guitar tone. Matched coils also cancel more hum. But matched coils also cancel more bass and treble.
Regular EMGs use uneven coils so they have less of a mid spike and can have a tiny bit of hum but they have a lot more treble and bass instead. Regular EMGs respond to frequencies that Blackouts, EMG Xs and passives don't pick up.

That's why EMGs sound 'flat' but if you know what you're doing they have the most complex response and tone possible. Blackouts and EMG Xs sound more 'natural' because they're closer to the sound we're used to hearing but they're actually more limited.

I was aware of that (roomate is a sound engineer, he teaches me things), but that is a really good explanation as to the difference in sound
So, IMO, Blackouts if you feel you're an EQ noob, or lazy, and EMG's if you know how to set up your amp correctly.

EDIT: VVVV And apparently I'm wrong.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Oct 26, 2011,
^Blackouts are frankly, better. Having used both with similar amp settings, the Blackouts were much tighter and less bleh sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I used to have Blackouts in my guitar. I roll back my volume knob to reduce the gain and it cleans up. Heck I even roll back the knob for distortion as they really have strong output.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Noob question: would it be possible to have an EMG in the bridge and a Blackout in the neck, or vice versa? Or a combination of active and passive pickups?
I have no sig
Quote by Mr Winters
Noob question: would it be possible to have an EMG in the bridge and a Blackout in the neck, or vice versa? Or a combination of active and passive pickups?

Yes that is possible
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I find Blackouts sound more like hot passives with no hum, where as EMGs give you that scooped tone everyone knows, which works very well for metal. The cleans are fine with either if you have your EQ set properly and mess with the volume and tone on your guitar.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Mr Winters
In theory it's possible but I believe Blackouts and EMG X pickups both require active tone controls while regular EMGs need their regular tone controls. Plus there would be a fair difference in the output.

I'm sure you could get it to work but it wouldn't be quite as simple as if you had all Blackouts or all EMGs.
Quote by grohl1987
In theory it's possible but I believe Blackouts and EMG X pickups both require active tone controls while regular EMGs need their regular tone controls. Plus there would be a fair difference in the output.

I'm sure you could get it to work but it wouldn't be quite as simple as if you had all Blackouts or all EMGs.

They all use the same circutry as far as wiring and installation, they were all designed to retrofit one another with the quick connect pins. As for output differences, there wouldn't be much of one since Blackouts are still high output, they just have a different sound.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I would not recommend trying to put actives and passives into the same guitar. It sounds like a good idea at face value, but there are a lot of things to consider. The sheer output difference being one: The active would overpower the passive to a comical extent. There would likely be a huge volume difference going between the two. They'd just generally be very unbalanced, and wouldn't make the guitar versatile in the way that you generally want.

Not to mention that the actual wiring involved in pulling it off is a complete PITA.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Metalfan41
They all use the same circutry as far as wiring and installation, they were all designed to retrofit one another with the quick connect pins. As for output differences, there wouldn't be much of one since Blackouts are still high output, they just have a different sound.

No, EMG Xs and Blackouts DO need an active tone and regular EMGs can't work with them. Look it up on the EMG site. And blackouts do have more output than regular EMGs, as do EMG Xs. In fact some EMG X pickups have almost twice the output as regular EMGs. So there is a problem getting that mix to balance.